I need info on Tucson & Phoenix - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I need info on Tucson & Phoenix

I'm looking to move to AZ in March of 2004 and was woundering what city, Tucson or Phoenix is the best city for a sportbike rider? How far away are the mountains, long twisty roads, and tracks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:05 PM
Founder

Thumbs up

http://www.phoenixsportbikeclub.com

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 02:22 AM

Tucson would be better for street riding
Better roads closer to town.
We make the trek from Phoenix to Tucson often, for the great riding
If you don't mind putting in the miles Phoenix is more central located so you have more of a choice of where to go
You just have to ride for quite a while to get to the good stuff
Phoenix is strarting to be a pretty good place to pick up track time
I will be setting aside a budget this next year to take advantage of at least two companies putting on track days at what will be three different tracks in the Phoenix area.
The goal they say is two every month
http://www.aztrackday.com/start.htm
http://www.motorcycletraining.com/pages/tracktime.html
C-YA
Mike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 12:46 PM

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Mike on the street riding thing. As many people as there are in the Phoenix area, I'd still have to say that it's better than Tucson when it comes to navigating the concrete jungle. I've been down in Tucson and the surrounding areas a small handful of times and my impression is that the roads suck. Discussions with people who live (or have lived) in or near Tucson suggest that Tucson traffic is HORRIBLE.

I've never been down near Tucson for actual sport riding. I suspect, however, that Phoenix is situated in a much better spot for out-of-town riding. It's a good central location for just about everything. Riding to the west and northwest, riding to the north, and riding to the east and southeast. If you find a home in the extreme north or east valleys, you can place yourself really, really close to either Bartlett Lake or Canyon Lake. Both places make excellent rides when you don't have all day to ride.

I'm not sure what Tucson has for the sportbike track junkie. But as was mentioned previously, we have two major motorcycle track organizations in the Phoenix area that have been running monthly trackdays. There is a great deal of anticipation for the new track being built in the west valley, which will be in addition to the oft-used Firebird track just south of metropolitan Phoenix.

March '04... don't put off this amazing riding weather for that long! Make it March '03!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 02:36 AM

If you love track time Phoenix is the place to be in Arizona
As far as riding on the street..
There is nowhere close to town other than two roads that lead to the area's closest lakes,
Bartlett (nice but usually pretty rough and dirty) and Canyon (better road much more traffic and police)
Both are heavily policed by sheriff Joe's finest , and fairly short.

No one I know other than full on squids ride fast within the city limits of either Phoenix or Tuscon.
Traffic pretty much sucks in either city

The key out of Phoenix is to ride more than an hour to get to the good stuff.
Much of it is closer to Tuscon than Phoenix

Tuscon has Mt. Lemmon just on the edge of town
It puts anything close (less than 30mins) to Phoenix to shame.
There still is the cop factor but the road is much better than either of the "close" PHX rides.

There is some pretty cool stuff in SE Arizona that rivals anything anywhere.
You just have to know where..

Just my opinon of course no flame intended
Mike
'00 RC51

Last edited by Mike; 02-06-2003 at 08:44 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 07:41 PM

I live in Tucson, while I dont ride a motorcycle yet I do know of alot of fun as hell roads to ride on atlest in a car its fun. In the foothill areas, because the rich people that basicly run the city live there the roads are nice and there isnt a crack or pot hole in them. My friends and I usually go up there and try to drift and do crazy stuff like that. But every weekend the motorcycle guys (40 or so street bike guys) take off out to the desert some where I have never had the balls to follow them. So I have no idea where they go.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:08 PM

I'd have to go with phoenix as the best....reason is because we got ttl flats and the track and much more closer to flagstaff payson and sadona which is fun too... but thats my
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 03:29 PM

Wink Hum...

I kinda like the Phoenix thing because itís more centralized. But I hate the cops. Its like and infestation that we can't shake. I also agree with the Tortilla Flats. I guess Tucson has the Kitty Hawk observatory; 12 miles of pure fast turns. But its about 40 miles away. Whichever city you choose I bet you can find better jobs here in Phoenix. I do miss riding back in Chi town with 40-60 guys checking out the people leaving the clubs till 6am w/out ever worrying about cops; even riding to Indiana or Wisconsin in the middle of the night was PURE FAST FUN ADRENELINE! W/ new top speeds all the time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 PM

I've heard Phoenix referred to as a great departure point, and I guess most people's opinions here bear that out. It's a great place to be from.

I think Tucson is safer for street riding/commuting since the speeds are generally lower and the centrality of the University means the locals are generally more motorcycle-aware. What contributes to its appeal as a home for sportbikers is the proximity of twisties on Mt. Lemmon and Grant's Pass, etc. Overall, I'd have to say that Tucson is the better motorcycle town is you are going to use a bike as your main means.

Phoenix is cursed with ungodly summer temperatures; a flat topology that keeps the streets arranged in a flat, boring grid; oafish truck and SUV drivers who can't even see motorcyclists and probably wouldn't care if they could, and our own traffic congestion which seems to just get worse the more freeways spring up. Despite my two-wheeled addiction, I refuse to make my twelve-mile commute on my bike. Way too much carnage.

But . . . Phoenix does have 3 race tracks, and it is closer to the REALLY great twisties to be found near the lakes and Yarnell hill, Prescott, Winkelman, Lake Mary Road, etc. Plus, it's probably the more livable city overall thanks to economic factors.

I guess you need to make your decision based on more than bike-friendly-ness. Wherever you can make the most comfortable living should be your home. You're bound to find the fun where you land. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode