Welp I had my first minor accident. :( - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 06:41 PM

Wow, I moved to California several months ago, takes some getting used to all the lane splitters.

Sold my bike before I moved here, but I'm getting one in a few months, not sure if I'll be lane splitting . . proberbly will be though, looks too tempting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 09:25 PM

Corona huh... i got a friend who lives out there... he doesnt ride but at least i know where corona is. When you get some wheels.. let me know.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 06:14 AM

Maybe we should start a new thread on lane splitting (unless it's already been done, havn't searched for one yet). I've been out here since August and REALLY like lane splitting. First off it gets me home significantly faster some days when traffic is bad, you don't have to worry about leaving a whole bunch early to get somewhere on time cause traffic might be bad because if it is you can make pretty good time and get where you're going almost as fast, and it's fun. Takes my mind off work since it requires 100 percent concentration.

I guess my strategy/personal limits are that traffic has to be moving slower than 30, bunched up tight enough that no one can lane change right in front of you (the biggest hazzard I can think of), and that I try to not ride past a car that has space next to them (again, if they can't change lanes I feel better). I guess I don't try to ride much faster than traffic, maybe 15-20 faster, hard to say cause I ain't lookin' at the speedo, ever.

That's for the highway, the best part is getin to the front of the line at stop lights, that alone has got give you back years on your life that would have been wasted in traffic.

What do you guys do, and welcome james, whatcha gona buy

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 06:37 AM

Do you lane split on traffic that is flowing at about 60/70 mph? I'm not sure i'd risk that. I see bikes go in between semis, that makes me cringe just watching.

That car pool lane looks like a godsend out here though, have you split lanes in that too?

I'm looking at a few bikes, gsxr1000, daytona 955(what I last had), r1. What do you think is good these days?

Where is a good place to get bikes in this area, what places allow test rides?

Those winding roads to Big Bear look interesting.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 07:24 AM

the roads to big bear are very sweet and so is 243/ 74/ mt p/GMR

There are so many good roads it's a sin not to ride in this area.

Don't know where to buy cause I only buy used. Chapparell seems to have good prices but I hear they tack on a bunch of fees (I'd just get out the phone book and call EVERYONE and get out the door quotes). All the bikes you list are great, I really can't think of any bikes made today I'd call bad. Just get what looks good to you. What have you ridden.

As far as lane splitting at higher speeds, I won't say I haven't done it but I don't do it much (usually not to make progress but to get away from some a-hole that seems ready to do something unsafe near me). As far as splitting between the car pool and regular lanes where it's sometimes as wide as 2/3 a regular lane and looks like it was made for motorcycles like you and I think, it's illegal I here. Why the only state to allow lane splitting would out law it in the best of all possible places on the highway is beyond my immagination but that's what I hear. Actually I guess it's because when there's an opening for cars to enter/leave the carpool lane there could be problems but if you're dumb enough to split during those 100 yard pieces then you're no longer needed in the gene pool.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesMH
Do you lane split on traffic that is flowing at about 60/70 mph? I'm not sure i'd risk that. I see bikes go in between semis, that makes me cringe just watching.

That car pool lane looks like a godsend out here though, have you split lanes in that too?

I'm looking at a few bikes, gsxr1000, daytona 955(what I last had), r1. What do you think is good these days?

Where is a good place to get bikes in this area, what places allow test rides?

Those winding roads to Big Bear look interesting.
Hey, I'm pretty close to you, too. I think I heard somewhere that lane splitting is legal only if the traffic is slower than 45mph, but I can't confirm that. I agree lane splitting when traffic is doing 70mph is spooky, so I do it rarely.

I have lived here for over 40yrs. Forget the roads to big bear or arrowhead lakes. Always crowded on weekends.

You are actually closer to sportbike heaven than that. Take the freeway that goes through Temecula and get off at the offramp to Mt. Palomar. Once you are through Pauma Valley take the turn off to Mt. Palomar. Once you get to S6 the fun begins(check it out on MapQuest). BUT you MUST go up the hill SLOWLY your FIRST TIME for two reasons.

First, the turns are very sharp and almost all of them are decreasing radius.

Second, and this reason makes me hesitate to even recommend this road, is that the locals have becone very active about demanding that law enforcement patrol the road heavily. Sometimes they do, sometimes, they don't, so on your first time up the road you will want to cool it to see if they are patrolling that day. Once at the top, ask the other riders what the CHimPs are up to, and NEVER NEVER NEVER cross the double yellow line. That is what the Gestapo generally write you up for and it could get you killed.

Despite all of this, you should go up at least once, just to say you have been there.

Maybe I will see you up there.

I am really prejudiced, so I would get the R1 if I were you. Shop around at Chapparral and then give Honda/Yamaha of Redlands a shot at it too. They have an excellent service dept.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 06:01 PM

The roads I mentioned are crowded on the weekends but I ride during the week pretty often and enjoy them since they're longer than 7 miles like mt p but if it were closer I'd hit Mt p as often as I could, it really is a sweet little run.

I have mixed feelings about redlands yamaha, went to get fork oil today AFTER calling to make sure they had what I needed for my specific bike model, guy puts me on hold, comes back and says yes, I get there and he can't tell me what grade or quantity I need??????????? He asks me like I'm supposed to know and I said I thought that's what dealers were for and that I had called ahead to check specifically. He shrugged. Something about service was closed so he didn't have access to whatever he needed to know the answer. On the other hand the people at chapparell have been utterly useless if you don't know exactly what you want and how you want it. They have good prices though if you don't need info with the product.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:21 PM

Cool We had a good time riding Arrowhead & Big Bear . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo079 View Post

Hey, I'm pretty close to you, too.
I think I heard somewhere that lane splitting is legal
only if the traffic is slower than 45 mph, but I can't confirm that.

I agree lane splitting when traffic is doing 70 mph is spooky, so I do it rarely.

I have lived here for over 40 years.
Forget the roads to Big Bear or Arrowhead lakes.
Always crowded on weekends.

You are actually closer to sport bike heaven than that.
Take the freeway that goes through Temecula
and get off at the off ramp to Mt. Palomar.
Once you are through Pauma Valley take the turn off to Mt. Palomar.
Once you get to S6 the fun begins(check it out on MapQuest).
BUT you MUST go up the hill SLOWLY your FIRST TIME for two reasons.

First, the turns are very sharp and almost all of them are decreasing radius.

Second, and this reason makes me hesitate to even recommend this road,
is that the locals have become very active about demanding
that law enforcement patrol the road heavily.
Sometimes they do, sometimes, they don't,
so on your first time up the road you will want to cool it
to see if they are patrolling that day.
Once at the top, ask the other riders what the CHiP's are up to,
and NEVER NEVER NEVER cross the double yellow line.
That is what the Gestapo generally write you up for and it could get you killed.

Despite all of this, you should go up at least once,
just to say you have been there.

Maybe I will see you up there.

I am really prejudiced, so I would get the R1 if I were you.
Shop around at Chapparral and then give Honda/Yamaha of Redlands a shot at it too.
They have an excellent service dept.
Doesn't look like too much traffic to me ~ and Arrowhead & Big Bear don't hold a candle to mountain center . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKQ0Qv6QMA

1998 Prostar West Super Gas top ten.
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004, Pro E/T #3, 2005, & 2006, Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 Motorcycle Drag Race Assoc. SS Champion !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode