Ouachita National Forest ride - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Anybody ever ridden this place in central Arkansas? It comes highly recommended from a Harley-riding friend and I'm gonna do it next weekend. Hwy 7 is an official Arkansas scenic highway or something, so I'm hopeful of some good twisties and little traffic. If I like it I may take an extra day (I'm packing a tent) and do the Talimena Scenic Byway which goes from Mena, AR to Talihina, OK. The brochure description says that is "curve after curve of scenic . . ." Who cares about the scenic, I want the curves! They're hard to come by down here in West Monroe, LA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 04:17 PM

Be sure to post what the roads are like if you go. I'm in central Missouri and that might be a good trip!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2000, 05:14 AM

It is a great area to ride. My in-laws ride their Goldwing there alot. I haven't been there in a while but I don't think things have changed that much in the last 3 years. Great scenery and good curves. Have fun.

BTW, don't go snooping around Mena too much. If you run up on some illegal activities turn your head and run or Clinton's boys might kill you.

You damn Democrats don't start your crap... I'm just kidding... Clinton don't hang out there anymore.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2000, 08:28 PM

Cool

If it's not still raining this weekend I might be there myself. I'm in Little Rock. The curves are very nice. Be careful of the hidden cross streets though. I haven't seen too much traffic on it except during the summer months.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm back. Pretty nice ride but too much traffic on Sat. afternoon north of Hot Springs. Kinda frustrating 'cause the cages can't keep their speed up on the curves. It was amusing seeing a couple of them (who saw me in their mirror and knew what I was about) try to speed through the curves and run onto the shoulder or cross the lane at speeds boring to me. Also, it was too cold Sat. so I got a late start and took many thawing breaks so I didn't cover as much ground as I would have liked. Sunday morning on the way home was great as there was no traffic and it was warmer. I had no problems with cross-street pullouts, thank goodness. I did have to hard brake for deer once though. I'll try to go back as soon as I can predict a warm weekend. It was worth the ride up from LA, 'cause much of Hwy 7 is fun even south of the National Forest. For those that haven't been there, there are many, many curves posted at 40 to 50 mph (which for newbie me means 60 to 75 mph). The roads are in good condition. Let me know if you wanna hook up - I'm sure I could learn a lot from more experienced riders and I'd be happy to buy you a beer for the lesson!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 02:48 AM

Hwy 7 is nice as are lots of roads around there.My folks retired 5 years ago to Hot Springs Village which is north of Hot Springs right on hwy 7.I'm going to pick up a ZRX1200 to keep down there so I have a bike to ride when I visit.The whole area is a sportsmans paradise with golf,fishing,hunting,boating....and lots of good tarmac for gittin it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:36 AM

Highway 7 is a nice run. The better parts are south of Ola, but when you get North of Russellville, it's nothing but high speed sweepers up to Jasper. Between Jasper and Harrison, it's a full out mountain run. The ride is a bit long, but it's worth it. Once you get to Harrison you can go to Mt. Home and ride hwy 341, another road I've heard about.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:55 PM

Pete,

You better be reading this stuff. This is the roads to ride in the area.

LEDSLED,

My parents have a houseboat on Lake Ouchita and my in-laws live near Hot Springs Village. Maybe we know your parents. Are there names Mr. and Mrs. LEDSLED? Just kidding. That is a nice area to retire in. It has gotten too big yet.

To the others, Pete and I are considering a Spring time run in Arkansas since it is halfway between Houston, TX and Knoxville, TN. We might just need some leadership from some folks that ride there more frequently. I grew up near there but did not have a bike back then and have only ridden bikes in the area a couple of times. Mom gets too damn nervous when I'm out riding.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:05 PM

On your way to Knoxville? Going to the gap? If so, lemme go with you! It's been a whole 4 months since I was there last, and I'm needing a fix.

and I'm all for showing you around.

--C
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 05:57 PM

I live just west of Knoxville. I try to go to Deal's Gap at least once per month in the warmer months. I was there Christmas day(in my truck ). Just let me know when you are in the area. It takes me about 8-9 hours to drive to my parents home in Arkansas, which is why I don't ride the Hot Springs area roads much. Seems the family wants me to spend time with them instead of riding. What's up with that. Of course, they will be informed that the spring trip is for riding.

At least the in-laws have a Goldwing so they like to ride and not just visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode