Best Bike for a passenger - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MDSCoach32
Best Bike for a passenger

I am looking at all of the new sport bikes in the 500-650 range. My wife drives a SUV but on days we decide to ride together what would you suggest for comfort. The thing is I don't want to sacrifice look or sport just for a padded seat. There has to be some pretty hot bikes that I can still let her ride with me on. Please help because I'm looking to buy in the next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wheelie123
Keep in mind that you can always modify the passenger seat area. There are a few companies out there that do this, like Corbin, Sargent, etc. The other alternative is to go to a local upholstery shop and just have them beef up the padding in the stock seat.

To me, the most important thing is to get the bike that you want. After that, it's easy to modify it to best suit your needs.

"Tattoo on the lower back. Might as well be a bullseye." - Wedding Crashers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Choosing sport bike

The idea to pick what bike I want and get the seat modified is good. I just wasn't sure if some bikes didn't have the framework or room. I have seen some bike that just had a thin piece of plastic that was jacked up 6 " higher than anything else. I'm thinking of the Ninja 500 or something in that range. I don't want to get a bike I will grow out of in two years but I don't want to get something that will run out from underneath me. Any suggestions on a good bike for a mid level guy.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 04:46 AM

What do you mean by mid-level guy? While the 500 is a nice bike, I try not to recommend anything less than a 600 because it's very easy to outgrow the 500. How experienced are you? If you are new, then the 500 will be best. If you've ridden before, then I'd go with a 600. Something like the Honda F4i or ZX6R. With the F4i, you will probably want to get both stock seats replaced or reupholstered, as they are basically planks and pretty uncomfortable. But it is one hell of a solid bike, and Hondas are known to be bulletproof.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mid Level Rider

Thanks for the quick response. What I meant by "mid-level" Rider was that I rode a bunch but then I haven't owned a bike in awhile so I didn't want to get in over my head. Also, I was young when I was riding before and the chances I took then won't repeat themselves I hope. You mentioned Honda but I read they had a little bit of slow response in the middle gears. I know nothing about them so I am going by rated reviews. What about the Kawasaki 636? The 600 series might be a wise choice now that you brought it up. I just heard some of the more powerful bikes had touchy brakes and other things that could get you in trouble if you weren't use to them. Any 600 class you suggest I will do my homework on because like I said I have the itch and I really want to scratch!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:14 AM

If you're a responsible person, then you really should get what you want. I own a 900, but am about to switch to a 600 because the 600s are so damn good now. The power output is better than mine (factoring in the weight differential). I don't know where you heard that about the Hondas in the mid-range/mid-gears, as they scream in all gears. Put it this way: in 2002, I knew of a guy that put a pipe, Power Commander, and changed the sprockets on his F4i, and he could power wheelie (didn't need to use clutch to bring it up) in 3rd gear. A 3rd gear power wheelie on a 600!! That's crazy. When I said the ZX6, that's what I meant was the 636. The ZX6 is not the old pig that you might remember it being. The 600 is now called the ZX6RR, and the regular (636) is just called the ZX6. It is a beast of a middleweight, and barely missed winning BOTY (Bike Of The Year) this year. It lost to the new GSX-R1000. Either bike would be a great bike, but my personal pick (and I favor bike models, not brands of bikes) would be the 636. It will be more than enough to last you indefinitely, and their seats are known to be the most comfortable (since you had mentioned seats).

The 636 is what I am strongly thinking about switching to.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by wheelie123; 08-15-2005 at 09:32 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Sounds Good

636 huh? It sounds like I am getting a bunch of people saying that. The guy who said that about the Honda probably wouldn't have liked it if it pulled up in 4th! When I built cars I had one of the baddest camaros around. I had a friend who was a Ford Guy. He would pick apart everything he could about how Chevy's suck and that Ford was what I should put money into. I really hate that because people get influenced by that sort of thinking and then they miss out. The sweetest thing was when he finished his Mustang build he pulled up to me on the highway and then took off (wanting to race). I pulled up next to him with his foot hard on his pedal, gave him a nod, and then strolled past him like he had it in park. He told me when we saw each other later that his car still wasn't running right. LOL ok! I think I will go ride a few of the bikes you suggested and see what I think. Thank you so much for your advice and if you think of anything else, send it my way.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM

Have you checked out the Yamaha FZ6. It is a very sporty semifaired bike. Has the R6 engine in it. I have one and it will suit your needs for speed as well as passenger carrying. It sits a little more upright for comfort. I am selling mine also if your interested. I have a 2001 cbr 929 and just don't need 2 bikes right now. I am fixing to biuld a house. The bike is paid for so I have the title. Asking 5500 if interested. It is a 2005 with almost 2500 miles. Email me for pics.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Email me Fazer

Let me see the pics bud. [email protected] is my addy. I would love to see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode