Knoxville riders? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Knoxville riders?

I am a new rider here in Knoxville and I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for roads that I can explore, I would love to hear them. I don't know anyone here with a motorcycle, so if any of you wanna go for a ride sometime, I would be happy to. I have a GS500 so I am not the fastest rider around, but I am learning and getting used to riding.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:40 PM

You are just about 30 minutes North of some of the greatest roads in the country.

Just head out of Knoxville toward Maryville. Take Hwy 129 South to the TN/NC line... right through Deal's Gap. On the way you could make a run through the Foothills Parkway toward Townsend and back. When you go through Deal's Gap and to the Crossroads of Time just take Hwy 28 down to Franklin, NC or instead take Hwy 129 down to Robbinsville and the NC 143 over to the Cherohala Skyway which runs over to Tellico, TN... from there back up to Knoxville.

BTW, that is just a small amount of the fine roads in the area and it only covers the ones south of Knoxville.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 12:19 AM

You ought to look into hitting Hwy 116 from Brushy Mountain to Lake City. Very good mountain road but the pavement is bad in some places. Hwy 328 out of Harriman is a nice short run. Hwy 70 between Knoxville and Kingston is good for long sweepers. There are tons of little back roads that are great rides. When I get a weekend off I could meet up somewhere.
Mark

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice you all. I know all about the Dragon, I have run it many times in my car. I am not ready for riding it yet though! I am going to explore in that area though, and thanks for the other suggestions. I am slowly getting more and more comfortable on the bike in traffic, so I am not venturing too far from my house yet. Thanks again!

Chris
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:14 PM

Try hwy 95 in oak ridge. Easiest way is inerstate 40 west,towards nashville. It is the first exit after the 40/75 split.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZrexMark
Hwy 70 between Knoxville and Kingston is good for long sweepers.
To hell with that, go on up to 70 from Rockwood to Crab Orchard. That's some of the best sweepers with the sweetest road I've ever been on. It's just short... But that section of 70 is FAR less travelled than the knoxville to Kingston part is. Plus you can stop off at Ozone falls right in the middle and enjoy the view from the top of an awsome water fall. CAREFUL...watch that step Watch out for other things too, last time I was there I saw a 50 something couple doin' it in the woods. EWWWWWWWW

Be sure to plan a weekend to make it up here too. We're about 2 hours from Knoxville. The NC guys come over here actually travelling further just for our roads

I know there's some awsome roads around Oak Ridge too. TJA1 off of SBN could have helped ya, but I haven't seen him around since

Be sure to sign up at cycleforums.com as soon as it's open. Most of us are just waiting on the place to open up
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 05:19 PM

I travel 70 from Kingston to Cave Creek Road daily to and from work and that early in the morning and late in the evening I run into little or no traffic. Saturdays and Sundays are a different story. 70 from Rockwood to Crab Orchard is excellent and some of the backroads coming back down off the plateau are nice and tight but the paving is questionable in some areas. I've got to find some time and get up your way and ride the Shady Valley. But I have to do it when Stokes and Chris aren't around. It's really humbling when when you think you're running a good pace and that pair blasts around you with ease and the lead guy is on a KLR. Really smooth riders the both of them. Just joking Chris, I'll get in touch when I'm up that way and I'll supply the bikes you guys ride. Anyone got a minitrail for sale?
Mark

Last edited by ZrexMark; 10-04-2002 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 09:08 AM

roads in knoxville

Northshore road is a nice, scenic laid back road that will only take about 20 minutes to ride. In addition, you can hit Pellisippi from Northshore, which will take you to Maryville, of course. Choto, off of Northshore toward Farragut, is a nice, short twistie out towrd the lake. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode