Miami vs. Tampa - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Miami vs. Tampa

I wanted to know from the people that live there what type of cities these both are.I'll be transfering to a University and those are the two cities I am choosing between.I live in Daytona Beach which is closest to Orlando and Daytona is very small compared to Miami and Tampa.
Which are better riding spots too? Which has better weather most of time?
I've seen and heard Miami has the worst drivers...anything about Tampa? Anyhow I've been used to small cities and I need a change.I need a safe, friendly, college environment, party/fun, and fun fun city.So tell me something about them.Thanks
Princess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:30 AM

if your looking for safe then stay the hell away from miami, I'm down there every few days, actually I used to do bail enforcement down there. the drivers suck, most of them are not legal and most don't have insurance, most of it is either run down or super fansy with very little middle ground. the roads suck to, extreme traffic 7 days a week, I was supposed to live there but I couldn't stand driving on there roads so I stayed up here in coconut creek(just north of ft. lauderdale) I don't know much about tampa except they have a nice zoo. but if your looking for safe, friendly environment miami is not it, great place to visit but you don't want to live there.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

SilentNEKO,
Sounds like what I've heard.Just wanted to see if I would get any different words from anyone else especially from someone who lives close.Quote:"The drivers suck, most of them are not legal and most don't have insurance."
I had my very first ticket from the 'Miami-Dade's worst ' a motorbike cop too at that.That was almost 3 years ago and I won't forget.It was for speeding not by much (13 over) got me to (9) instead, but I was not a happy camper because I'm not from there, didn't have a record, or had been there before! I was lost and I just wanted to get the hell out of there after leaving the airport.I don't suck as a driver just like to get out of I place I have no idea where I am at and I'm legal and yeah I have a license so arrest me.
Its beautiful and I like hearing that they're different types of people from different backgrounds and its a place to have fun.
But from that I feel kinda scared if I was to move there.
Anyone else have anything to say about Tampa...let it be better Or anything else about Miami.
I would go to Ft.Laud., but no schools there.Just Miami, Tampa, and maybe Ft.Myers

Thanks NEKO.

Princess

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:42 AM

when you talk about miami I'm assuming you mean your going to U.M., my fiancee used to go there but it was too pricy so she had to drop and go with fau. its a very wealthy school in a very bad neiborhood. there are many highlights such as a good football game, a great acedemic profile, and a mall food-court style cafeteria. but alot of the dangers come from with in there. never walk alone at night. never let a guy you just met in your dorm. when at any party never consume enough boos to the point were you can't fight back. the frats there are known for sexual abuse. I'm not trying to scare you, its great if you can go to school there, just know that most problems happen from with in.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Yeah,I was talking about the U.M.True...it costs a lot to go there. Also F.M.C (Florida Memorial), F.I.U (Florida Int'l), and S.T.U (Saint Thomas.)
Its $12,189 per semester, but its private.
The way the school looked on the net, it seemed like it was in the best part of all Miami!wow.
Then its out of my list of schools especially U.M.You can't walk alone at night and so forth.Thats not right.I don't want a miserable college experience after I leave the college I am at.
Thanks for all the info silent.
It helped me out.I feel I'm better off in Tampa then in Miami after that.Unless the other schools are worth going to all the way there.I've never been back to Miami after that incident I told you about, but if I go I'm sure to have fun then come straight back up north!

Thanks again,
Princess
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 05:35 PM

I miss Tampa

I lived in Tampa for 13 years. I also went to University of South Florida. Now I live across the bay..some 25 mi.from Tampa in Pinellas county, which is the most densely populated county in the state.The traffic in Tampa is not as bad because Hillsborough county is larger than Pinellas co. But Miami... no thanks. Tampa does get afternoon showers that are brief and scattered. But we are less likely to take a direct hit from a hurricane compared to Miami.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 02:20 PM

Miami!!!

It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you live. I grew up in Miami and moved to Jupiter, just north of West Palm Beach. Just moved back to Miami a few weeks ago. If you like the city life, Miami is the place to be. Great clubs, lots of people, and all kinds of attractions. It also depends on what you do for a living. There are a lot of jobs around here for professionals, but not much else I think. The traffic SUCKS though, so downtown is the pits. Either way, I am really glad to be back, even though the people are rude and they don't know how to drive. *lol* Just be REALLY careful riding, people will cut you off without a second thought. My car is REALLY small, and they never see me, especially with the top down.

As far as schools go, I agree about UM, but FIU is in a pretty good area, I live near there in Doral. This area is really nice and I feel safe. I go everywhere by myself and I'm only 22. I go clubbing by myself too, but I always valet, and I go to places that I am familiar with. I did the same in Jupiter. If you want the small town feel, Miami is not the place for you, but if you really want a change, this is it! If you decide on Miami, let me know and maybe we can hang out, I can show you around.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 04:30 PM

I'm with BrownEydTrouble if you like the city life then you might like Miami.

I suggest you come down and visit first, UM is a great school!

UM isn't really in a bad neighborhood, It's right on border of Coral Gables to be exact! On one side of school there is a predominately Black neighborhood and the other side is where the really weathly people live. I don't think the black neighborhood is really bad just a ghetto compared to Coral Gables. I use to drive there all the time to beat traffic.

Quote:
but alot of the dangers come from with in there. never walk alone at night. never let a guy you just met in your dorm. when at any party never consume enough boos to the point were you can't fight back. the frats there are known for sexual abuse. I'm not trying to scare you, its great if you can go to school there, just know that most problems happen from with in.
I think this holds true for every school not just for Miami. I have plenty of friends that go there and they love it. It's all prefrence.......

Traffics does suck but this city is growing to fast for it's roads. You learn to live with it and just take your time or leave earlier from home.

take care
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:23 PM

I personally like Tampa. You have everything Miami has in a neater package. Not to mention we could always use another rider around here.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
if your looking for safe then stay the hell away from miami, I'm down there every few days, actually I used to do bail enforcement down there. the drivers suck, most of them are not legal and most don't have insurance, most of it is either run down or super fansy with very little middle ground. the roads suck to, extreme traffic 7 days a week, I was supposed to live there but I couldn't stand driving on there roads so I stayed up here in coconut creek(just north of ft. lauderdale) I don't know much about tampa except they have a nice zoo. but if your looking for safe, friendly environment miami is not it, great place to visit but you don't want to live there.
couldn't have said it better myself. Miami is cool to go visit like on vacation or something but i couldn't imagine living there. like Silent said the roads and the drivers suck and it gets old really fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode