Question about Florida cycle laws. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Question about Florida cycle laws.

Hello. I planing to get a nice sport bike in the near future, either a Honda or Suzuki. I just have a couple of questions about Florida laws. First is about insurance, I here if the bike was bought for less than $6000, than you don't need insurance, but I also heard if the bike is paid off, than insurance is not required. Also does anyone know where I can take a motorcycle safty course in the Orlando area, or ware I could get more info on this? And last question, Does anyone know of a good, repable dealer in the Central Florida area? I don't mind traveling a little bit. if there good. I heard Cycle Riders is good. but has anyone done busness with them? I just don't want to go someware and get riped off because I only have limited knowlage of bikes. Any info will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
------------------------------------- George V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 03:33 AM

from what I know you are correct about the insurance.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 03:49 AM

Im in Orlando. I dont have insurance on my bike because its not required. If you finance it the lender will require you to get insurance. If you wish to ride without a helmet however you are required to have a certain amount of insurance. Since I never have any problems with my bike I have no idea which dealers are good to deal with. My bike came from Powersports in Kissimee where I had no problems buying it, and they were happy to sell it to me. Of course everyone smiles when they are handed cash so it doent say much about them one way or the other. One of my coworkers took the course here, it was in Osceola County at a vocational school but he cant remember the name.

Last edited by nick_nolastname; 08-15-2002 at 03:56 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 04:33 AM

Insurance is not required to ride a motorcycle (regardless of value) in the state of Florida. Unless your lender requires, or you don't wear a helmet on.
HOWEVER, you are required to have insurance if you get into an accident.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 04:57 AM

ok so I can cruise around I'm just not allowed to get into a wreck, or if I do I need to say hold on and be quite while I call gieko
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 07:57 AM

Im going to search the FL statutes. BRB. Heres a motorcycle safety site with list of safety courses.

www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/motorcycle.html

Last edited by nick_nolastname; 08-15-2002 at 08:12 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:28 AM

Checked FL statutes. To ride without a helmet you have to have an insurance policy with at least $10,000 in medical coverage. I cant find any mention of not having to have insurance on a motorcycle. In fact everything I read states you DO have to have it. However I can tell you that they will not complain if you dont because I had insurance when I bought the bike, then dropped it about 6 months ago. Is this no motorcycle insurance thing in FL a myth or what? If anyone knows the specific statute that allows it please let me know. It appears that funksouljon is kind of correct. You dont have to have insurance to unless you get in a wreck. Maybe the reason they allow you to keep your registration without insurance is because bikes may be percieved as a "seasonal" vehicle thats only used part of the year, so you could drop your ins if you arent riding it. ( just a guess ) I'm reinstating my coverage as soon as I get home!!!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:55 AM

I carry liability on my bike (just in case) but the agent told me none was required. That's at a State Farm office. I don't know what statute would cover it. I bought my bike at Cycle Riders of Longwood. They treated me well, but as has been mentioned, I was spending money. I haven't been back since, but this is due to living 50 miles away. (It was a really good deal on the bike) Do your research before you buy. Check out the magazines and pay attention to this site. There are many many threads about the merits (or lack thereof) of most of the current bikes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:58 AM

Insurance? Check your policy!!

No proof of insurance required to tag and title a bike in fla. because the only required insurance for any vehicle in fla. is PIP, personal injury protection/property damage, $10,000. The insurance companies here will not write PIP for a bike. The liability is for personal injury to others not property damage. Maybe now they will write this limited, no-helmet 10,000 dollar medical only coverage. Basically we self insure our own liability to others for property damage on the premise we will not cause much damage to another vehicle. So be prepared to pay up if you do because your insurance company won't. Same is true on the personal injury because it just doesn't happen that we cause much injury to someone in an auto but I am covered up to 10k if I do. You can get guest passenger liability and I figure the more the merrier, 100K. MSF courses are a couple of times a week at Orlando Harley Davidson for about 250 or 300 bucks.

Last edited by DIRTYCURTYD; 08-15-2002 at 10:09 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 08:17 AM

Talking MSF Instructor

Here it is broken down. You do not need insurance on a motorcycle in the State of Florida, if you finance your motorcycle, you might be required to carry insurance. Check with your financier. Keep in mind that Florida is a tricky state. If you get into an accident involving another motorist you must have insurance. So if you don't plan on getting into an accident, don't carry insurance. If you choose not to wear a helmet you are required to carry $10,000 worth of medical insurance and be over the age of 21. The medical insurance must be a separate policy from your regular insurance and you must carry some sort of proof of this insurance. Just always remember something about motorcycle insurance. It comes in handy, because if you like your bike, somebody probably likes you bike more. And if they want it, they will take it. As far as a course to take goes, there is a MSF school in Orlando and Daytona. Go to www.msf-usa.org after you take the course and pass they will give you a rider card which will get you your endorsement at the DMV and in most cases an insurance break. Good luck....

The more you know, The better it gets.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode