deals gap trip - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to her01sv Send a message via Yahoo to her01sv
deals gap trip

we're heading down to deals gap around the 16th or so. we'll be there all weekend and into the early week.

anyone interested in hookin up?

-Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 12:16 PM

I am heading up the week of Memorial, but a little advice.

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!

From what I have read on a few other boards the Cops are very thick and pulling over for anything. I have heard of tickets for as little as 2 miles an hour over.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 05:17 AM

Why does everyone have to go to Deal's Gap (Squid Capital of the East)? I go just to see the stupidity. There are many fine roads in the area if you look around.

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ssallber
Why does everyone have to go to Deal's Gap (Squid Capital of the East)?
Well, before it became so popular, my reasons were:
1. It's one of the safest roads around. Other than no good runoff (but where do you really have any on public roads), there are no driveways, etc. You have the Smokey Mountain National Park on one side, water from the TVA dams on the other.
2. You don't have to worry 'bout ticking off the locals. Someone in a cage may complain, but there are no houses on 129 for quite a long section.
3. You can see through many of the curves, which is always nice!
4. It's so tight, you can have fun at lower speeds (you can have just as much fun at 50mph as you can at 150).
5. It has a painted dividing line. No guarantee, but I prefer roads with a stripe as it helps encourage cagers to stay on their side of the road (are you on yours?)

Was thinking 'bout taking the week off around Memorial Day and burning 'bout 3 to 4 days down there, but if it's become (more) squid infested, I dunno. I've never had a problem with the law in numerous trips. I've seen 'em set up radar where Foothills Parkway T's into 129 (the short 2 to 3 mile open section before you dive into the trees), but I've never seen 'em hassle folks from Crossroads of Time to the overlook. It's probably happened, but never when I was down there. I've seen a sheriff spend some time in the area, but he was a bike enthusiast and didn't appear to be there to hassle anyone. Spent a lot of time just yakkin' with everyone at the overlook.

BTW, for any of you that don't know yet, the folks at www.tailofthedragon.com set up shop at the overlook on weekends/holidays, etc, and have a nice website with what's happening info updated frequently (crashes, what the law's doin', etc).

Anybody keeping a scattered map with good roads, might wanna put HWY 40 from Ferrum VA to Woolwine VA on it. It's 17 miles of smooth, divided pavement with plenty of tight curves, good visibility (there are some blind driveways), and lots of elevation changes. Got one curve in particular that reminds you of the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, although the downhill run looks longer. It'll dump you out on Hwy 8 at Woolwine VA, where you can turn right and enjoy a crooked run up the mountain to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 8, 58, and the BRP make a nice triangle to ride, with 8 and 58 carrying you up/down the mountain. Each leg is bout 8 miles long.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to her01sv Send a message via Yahoo to her01sv
well, we're sitting up here at the treetops (ron and nancy's rental house) from tailofthedragon.com

we ran the gap twice today. no cops. usually you see the helicopter and sheriff out on the weekends. we normally avoid the gap during the busy weekends, and just head up there to look at all the diff'rent bikes at the crossroads. during the week, it's fairly quiet with a few people here and there. and thanks ssallber, but we know MANY backroads around here. we've been coming down here for a few years now, and ride many of their fine backroads they have to offer. but we can't come down here without hitting the gap at all! in fact, we just went up to a place called "top of the world". abrams branch road i believe it's called, right before you hit the foothills parkway. dumps ya out near maryville.

basicblur---dunno if you have inspector gadget eyes or not, but i know i can't see thru 90% of the curves on the gap. in fact, we damn near ran into 2 semi's just today because we couldn't see all the way through. luckily, we don't go ballistic and had some cushion time to react without throwing the bikes down.
my hubby is a COG member by the way. and so is the helicopter pilot for north carolina. mighty fine group COG is...

but again, ya hardly ever see cops at the gap during the week (cherohala skyway too). but when the weekend comes (especially around holiday weekends like memorial day), they're out in full force. can't blame them really. lots of idiotic squids up there...

be safe all!! we're having a blast down here!

-Amy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by basicblur

Well, before it became so popular, my reasons were:
1. It's one of the safest roads around. Other than no good runoff (but where do you really have any on public roads), there are no driveways, etc.
Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Deal's is lotsa fun, but I'd consider it the most dangerous road I've ever ridden.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:28 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Deal's is lotsa fun, but I'd consider it the most dangerous road I've ever ridden.
As you know Tristan, all speeding must be done very carefully.

Hi Amy, Mark, Don. Wish I was there! Couldn't make it this time. This fall again I hope?! Everybody?!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 12:23 PM

Deal's Gap??

It has been 15 years or so when I ran it on the RZ350 and then my GS1100E, but I remember it as very slow, tight endless procession of near 180 degree curves, not these wonderful fast sweepers like on the Parkway. Have they relaid the road or has it just become overpopular? I think the latter. Frankly when there are that many tight curves with less than 50 yards between them I consider it monotonous and I am subject to motion sickness.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:22 PM

basicblur---dunno if you have inspector gadget eyes or not, but i know i can't see thru 90% of the curves on the gap.
90%? C'mon now...that percentage is just a wee bit high, ain't it? There are quite a few places where you can see through the next 3 or 4 curves in the road! Then you have those 160 degree hairpins where you can glance over your shoulder and check the road ahead.

'Splain yourself: why is it the most dangerous? As stated, overabundance of squids aside (I tend to visit on the weekdays), there are no driveways/connecting roads, and you can see 'round many of the curves, often a number of curves down the road. Yeah, there are blind curves, but you have to ride accordingly.

I remember it as very slow, tight endless procession of near 180 degree curves, not these wonderful fast sweepers like on the Parkway.
And what's wrong with that (very slow is a realtive term)? As Kenny Roberts (or was it Eddie Lawson) once said, you can have just as much fun at 40 as you can at 140. Besides, with only X number of feet of runoff, no matter the road, would you rather depart the pavement on some tight, twisty (slow) stuff like Deals Gap, or those "wonderful sweepers" on the Parkway, which require quite a head of steam to feel like you're going round a curve? Hey, my Concours likes sweepers the best, but after initially feeling like it was tying itself in knots first time through The Gap, you adapt, and it's pretty darn fun even on such a big bike.

Frankly when there are that many tight curves with less than 50 yards between them I consider it monotonous.
Guess it depends on what you enjoy...curves or straightaways? Personally, I like it when it's as tight and twisty as The Gap. Guess that's that's why I've never felt the need for a literbike: I've always leaned towards middleweights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode