Tellico Plains and The Gap - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Tellico Plains and The Gap

Some buddies of mine are heading out tomorrow morning from Nashville, TN to Tellico plains (a camping resort area). We're gonna be doing tons of riding in the surrounding counties and may even take a shot up to the Gap. Anyone live in the area or planning to be near Tellico Plains or the Gap over the weekend, let me know. We'll be in the area through Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 07:33 AM

I may be there, but it's really dependent on the weather. The forecast is for rain, but I'll wait until tonight to decide.

I think that RCJohn may be in the area also. It we do show, we'll be the ones at COT just sitting there posing. We don't ride very well, so we just sit around and TRY to look cool (as hard as it is).

Weather permitting, we may cross path's.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I knew that at least some rain was in the forecast.. They keep altering the forecast here, so who knows what we'll run into. As of right now, they are calling for scattered storms for the day on Saturday. There is no rain in the forecast for Sunday. So, we may get a little wet, but I guess the 4 of us are willing to risk it. Although camping in rain is NO fun.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Oh, BTW, our group can be easily identified by the old yellow Beamer that a guy will be riding..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 10:02 AM

I currently plan on being at the Gap this weekend.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser
I may be there, but it's really dependent on the weather. The forecast is for rain, but I'll wait until tonight to decide.

I know a couple of guys who wouldn't let any rain get in their way.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 04:58 AM

I was there and the weather was great... a little hot but otherwise great.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Some good... some not-so-good...

Well, we had a pretty good time over the weekend. We rode all day Saturday just getting to Tellico Plains (Me and the other sport biker had to rest every 70 miles or so). We wound up camping off a little rode that winds around the river. A little past Bald River falls. Sunday morning, we rode the Skyway and that was a really really good ride. Got a little cold while we were up top though. 8-)
We got to COT around umm 11:30am CST or so. We hung around there for a while and then took the ride up the gap. Being a new rider and all I was a little nervous about riding it. Of course I had every reason to be. (ref. to Tree Of Shame) The other two riders went ahead of me and I was to ride last. I don't remember which turn it was.. 6th, 7th or something but it was a pretty hard turn to the left. I went in too fast for my experience and my line wasn't tight enough. Needless to say, I went off to the right and down into the 2-3ft ditch there. Lucky for me I kept the bike upright and came to a stop quickly as I paralleled the grassy embankment. A big bruise to the confidence level, no damage to the bike, I started her back up and finished with no problems. Needless to say, I got passed by numerous riders.

The ride home seemed to take FOREVER and I was getting pretty sore as this was the longest trip I'd been on. All in all it was a good trip and I believe we finished out at 550 miles in 48 hours.

Angry Sidenote:

On I-40 on the way home, we were overtaken by 4 or 5 other sportbike riders. One was on the Kawa Green Monster. A skinny little kid with absolutely no protective gear other than his helmet. This did not bother me. What bothered me was that this kid was (excuse the language) a stupid piece of fu***ng shit. My friend and I were already doing between 80-85. This kid on the green monster was the last in his group, and after they had gotten ahead of us a bit, he suddenly dropped back (in the fast lane) really really fast, flying past us (we were in the right lane). I was wondering what was going on and why he dropped back, until I see him pass us doing about 100 and riding a wheelie. He did this at least 3 times while he was near us and did the wheelies in both the left and right lane in a total disregard for the cars around him (not to mention us). I was pissed. Well, let's put it this way. If this kid and exited the interstate, I would have followed him and beat the living shit out of him. This freaking idiot rider thinks he is cool for doing wheelies down the interstate.. He didn't take time to realize that not only was he in danger of killing himself, but had he wrecked, my buddy or me would more than likely have been killed too because we wouldnt' have been able to avoid him or his bike. So, if there are those of you out there who think you are cool for doing things like this, remember you not only endanger yourself, but those around you and riding like some loser only makes worse the bad wrap sportbike riders get because we are seen as "wreckless". Think before you act stupid, ride responsibly, and remember if you do this in TN and I see you, your ass is mine. Go out into the country somewhere and kill yourself where there isn't anyone else to hurt and where no one else has to watch you die.

Last edited by Trajik; 08-20-2001 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode