Drag racing, and new riding club, Mobile AL - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Xcopcar
Lightbulb Drag racing, and new riding club, Mobile AL

New guy here, but riding is more important to me than formal introductions. We are trying to get a big turnout for the Bike Day at the dragstrip in Irvington, AL, just outside of Mobile. Sunday August 26, from 1 pm until 8 pm. $5 to watch, $10 to race. Bikes ONLY, so you don't have to worry about cages dropping crap all over the track. It's 60 feet short of an eighth mile, but it allows you to grudge race without the "cop factor". Come on out, meet some new guys, and we'll also discuss membership with the Southwest Alabama Southern Cruisers brand new sportbike chapter which I will be in charge of. Membership is free, and I'm going to try and schedule group rides every week. We have a meeting this Thursday night, 6:30 pm at the Shoney's in Daphne. I will not be in attendance due to work schedules, but you can speak with the Chapter President, JT James, and he will be able to tell you how to join up. There are no requirements for membership, no dues, no bikes turned away, everybody welcome.

All you guys around Mobile already know about the unofficial rides on Friday nights starting at Krystal's at 9:00, I'll be there if you want to talk to me about it. Can't miss me, only furred XX around here. I'll be the guy going the speed limit and riding about 2 minutes behind everybody else!

I may not be as fast as you, but the girls get to stare longer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 01:40 AM

Irvington drag strip

Hey i got footage of me whipping your tail at irvington. I'm the short guy on the Blackbird with a black and yellow joe rocket jacket. I didn't make it to the oct run, are there plans for a nov run? also are they still racing on tuesdays ( it think that was the date)? catch ya later.

J
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2001, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, considering you've done more stuff to your bike and you weigh about 50 pounds less than I do, you should have been whipping my tail. Not the best way to make buddies, by the way, but I'll let you slide. It's ok too, because I spanked a 98 modded and strapped XX not once, not twice, but 5 times this last time. I've also got new fur and stronger nads, so you might have a tougher time when we meet again.

Doesn't look like we'll be having a Nov. run. It was too cold this last time, and Anthony and Rodney lost money. I'm going to run it by him, but if they do it, it will probably be decided the week before. If it's anywhere near as cold as it was last weekend, you can hang it up.

Speaking of that, everybody was wheelying last week. Quickdraw's 6 over, lowered, strapped Busa was stood up to about 11:00 by Turbo Chris, never knew a bike that long could get that high. Even my bike touched the sky a few times, and as slow as I am, that's saying something.

Although, all 20 or so of my passes were 6.70-6.74, so in bracket racing, I'd be putting folks 'on the trailer' as we call it.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2001, 06:51 PM

irvington drag race

didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, had a good time running over there, actually wanted to see you run faster. Think the wheeling might be contributed to the cold weather? If the weather is fair i can commit almost 10 people from pensacola. Chat more later

J
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

One thing about my riding is that it has never been the fastest. I couldn't care less about squeezing another 2 or 3 tenths out of my bike by compressing my forks to max and blowing fork seals every 6 months. Screw that. In bracket racing, running within .04 everytime brings the trophy home about 95% of the time. I should know, I did it 7 weekends in a row and still hold the track record for most consecutive wins.

I think the wheelie problem had a lot of help, but weather would have been the main factor. Most everybody was doing burnouts, and that not only heats the tire but picks up VHT a lot faster and deeper into the tread. Cold weather makes you faster, but also contracts the track surface, making the VHT and rubber already there much tighter and easier to stick to (for a bike anyway). Cold weather also changes the way you ride, because you do not have as much fine control of your hands as you would in warmer weather. I think all of this is why we had the wheelie problem. Most guys were coming out of the hole WAY too hard and going vertical on clutch release.

My problem was down track. I came out of the hole fine, but about the time I hit 5,000 RPM's, the front went skyward. It stayed up through most of first gear, then was fine the rest of the way. That's not a big deal to most guys who can ride wheelies. But I can't ride wheelies, so the front tire being as high as my head is not a good feeling, causing me to lean so far forward my chin hit the windscreen a couple of times. In my circumstance it was not the launch, but track surface and power that made me come up. I don't know how much a strap would have helped, but I'd rather figure out how to ride it out than blow a fork seal.

I run your proposition by Anthony and Rodney, but I really doubt it's gonna happen. We only had about 30 racing bikes out there, and maybe 50 total at the track. We got a lot of passes in, but it's just not the same without everybody being there. We'll see how the weather holds up.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 04:22 AM

irvington drag race

Well let me know what's up, I really would like to get another run in this season. I dropped .2 sec just with a strap. What rpm's are you launching at? Took me forever to get used to launching this bike. Finally figured out to keep the revs under 4 makes a hell of a lot a differerence. Anything over 4 the clutch heats up and grabs on it's own, launching down the track regardless of what you want. Well let me know what's up. Tell rodney that i'm J from pensacola, he should remember me. Ask him how many people from here he'd need to go, and i'll see how many i can get. Catch ya later,

J
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with Anthony this afternoon. He and Rodney both plan to go to the Friday bike night at Krystal's this weekend. He's going to toss around the idea to the riders and see what the general consensus is. If it is a majority, then November will happen. If you can definitely commit 10 people from your area, then it will encourage him to go ahead and do it. He was slightly disappointed with the turnout this past month, but it was expected due to the weather. He says it's not about the money, it's all about the fun. If there is enough support, we will race.

One thing. If you bring any new riders, make sure that somebody pulls them off to the side and explains to them the track rules. We had a guy last month that turned around and rode back up the track. We had to end early because a guy ran over the reflectors at the big end because he apparently was not paying attention. There was also a couple of situations where people were spinning off the line and getting sideways, and not letting out, causing some close calls with guardrails. For safety's sake, make sure that everybody that comes knows the general rules. One new thing we're gonna try is getting everybody to spin their tire off before they get on the track surface because we had a bad rock problem last month. It got so bad I dropped my bike due to the front tire sliding while the wheel was locked full right (no damage, except a peg feeler).

Little side note: pray that James was kidding when he said he was putting a Busa motor in his 750 frame.....

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 02:44 PM

friday night rides

Hey xcopcar how many folks show up for the friday night rides?
I saw you at the light at airport and hillcrest last thursday, at least I think it was you as you just don't see that many furred bikes around here. I have a red 2001 b12s that I commute to work regularly but have been looking for some company to ride with. Maybe I can get away this coming friday night and check it out. I am intrested in the new club.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

If you saw me, it would have had to have been on either a Sunday or a Tuesday, as those are my only off days. Otherwise it would have been at night, and considering wrestling comes on Thursday nights, which is way more important than riding, I doubt it was Thursday. Also, there is only one other furred bike around here, and it is all black, only 2 people have EVER seen it, and he never rides.

I have no clue what kind of bike you ride. What is a B12?

Friday night rides vary from 5 to 30 people. 2 weeks ago, it was 5. Last week, it was 30. All depends on weather. The colder it is, the less sportbikes you see. Everybody's welcome, however there is only one cruiser bike that rides with us, and it is a V-Max, which ain't really a cruiser bike. If you want to see what your bike will do, ride up front with the Gixxer 1000's. If you want to get where we're going and never have a cop even give you a second look, ride in the back with me. Never, ever ride in the left lane because you never know when the Turbo Busa may come by at 210 mph and blow you 2 lanes over.

Friday nights, Krystal's at University and Airport, 9:00 pm, usually don't roll out until 9:30 at the earliest.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 04:17 PM

Not sure which day it was I saw you, but it was about 5 oclock one evening last week I was waiting to turn south on hillcrest and you where going west on airport.

I have no clue what kind of bike you ride. What is a B12?
I ride a 1200 suzuki bandit, it has the same effect as the vitamin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode