Drag racing, and new riding club, Mobile AL - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 07:51 PM

Well I understand the winter never ending part. Just let me know when the next race is. I and all the guys down here are waiting. I'll send you an offline message with my e-mail, I'd appreciate knowing when the track would be rented, at least a month in advance. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 06:10 AM

ok, weather is getting better and i wanna race. any word on irvington?
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

OK, Headhunter, I know you are horny about getting back on the track, but like I've posted several times before, the earliest it will be is March! Anthony recently got transferred to another store, so I don't talk to him much anymore, but I will try to find out for you. The track JUST opened up for Tuesday night time trials, as a matter of fact the season doesn't even start until April.

If you absolutely must race some folks, just ride on over here on a Friday night and ride with the guys. If that doesn't do it for you, I found a nice little downhill quarter mile "strip" with easy markings. It's even got a nasty turn at the big end so you could carry the race through the corner if you must. By the way, those Friday night rides are usually not from a standstill. It's either who can wheelie the fastest and farthest, or who's bike actually CAN hit 200 MPH!

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:38 AM

Yeah, you know me, I love a good race. Might have to take you up on the offer, and go up there. The bike still furred? Know of any good Blackbird mods? Been debating a turbo, but there quited expensive. You wouldn't happen to know anyone who's done any work to there bird? Well hit me up, I'm always ready to ride.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Yep, the bike is still furred. As a matter of fact I just washed it the other day. May not seem significant to you, but that's the first time I've washed it since the new fur job. That's one more great thing about fur, washing your bike is a thing of the past. Once every 4 months just about covers it!

As far as mods go, I really wish I knew. There just isn't many things to be done to the Blackbird, except for sprocket changes, a Power Commander, full system, turbo, and cams. Since both of us already have sprockets and the full system (and I really don't think either one of us have the grand for the cams or the 5 grand for the turbos) that only leaves us with Power Commanders. What year is yours again? If it's 98 down you could get an ignition advancer.

My theory is this, who cares how fast you can go? Anything 2000 and newer can only go 186 anyway thanks to the speed limiters in the ECU, and besides if you're going that fast the only thing your doing is illegal crap so SLOW DOWN!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 02:36 AM

Well, mines a 99' just ordered a power commander for mine, yeah a turbo is quite expensive, but i'm still conisdering it. I'd like to get under 6 in mobile, i've come pretty close before. What sprocket changes did you make? I've only went down 1 in the front.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

I've got a one tooth drop in the front as well, but am seriously considering a 2 tooth gain in the rear since I have no desire to go top end.

Considering your size, you should be able to hit 5.99 and down, especially in the cold weather that always seems to find it's way here on Tuesday nights (when the track is currently open). The thing about competitive racing in the Southeast is that most of it is bracket oriented, so going fast is not necessary. Every one of my passes is between 6.70 and 6.74, and with that kind of consistency, you will bring the money home every weekend, just like I did with my dragbike in 1997 (7 weekends in a row, track record). That's the same way Danny is doing it now on Rick's Suzuki. Consistency, not speed, is the key.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:13 AM

Ok, was at the drag strip in Atmore, best time was a 6.652, getting faster, we went up there with 12 guys, and met 3 others that we regularly run with, I know i can get a definite 10 people to go to Irvington, was wondering if ya think Rodney and Anthony could be coaxed into getting the track for March. I think last coversation we had, you said they wouldn't do it till April, but the weather is getting better, and I personally think there will be a good turnout. I think i can get it down to the teens. speaking of Consistency, lost in atmore by .003, didn't think it could be better than that, the guy that one was .001. Oh well, what would be the odds you could get the guys on your end to meet us in Atmore on a sunday? I'll make the arrangements, and we can run a gamblers race.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Like I said before, Anthony doesn't work next to me anymore, and his pager is cut off, so I have no way to call him. I've got a number for Rodney, but it may take me a couple of days to get him to call back. I'll see what I can do, but what you have to remember is that it takes a significant amount of money to get the track rented out and they may not have that kind of cash up front right now. I'll see what the deal is.

As far as the local guys go, I rarely talk with them anymore. We had a little situation where the local fuzz was planning a roadblock and arresting any sportbikers caught in a group. Since then, I have not ridden in group formation with any bikes, which basically means I don't see those guys anymore. I can get into contact with them through outside measures, but I highly doubt they would be interested in going to the track. I know that some of them read this board, so you guys don't take this the wrong way, but it seems to me that they tend to 'keep it on the streets', which I don't agree with. We've openly invited them to come to the track, and they've only shown up one time (well, except for one of the guys). Then again, I've also open invitationed the Southern Cruisers, and they don't seem to be too interested either. You can't please everybody, but it seems to me that we can't please ANYbody.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Hello all! Obviously I'm new here. I did a google search for sportbike clubs in mobile and this thread came up first so hear I am. I ride a Suzuki TLS1000. She's a beautiful machine. I love her to death. She was Suzuki's first platform for there "Ducati killing" 1000cc V-twin. The ultimate race platform for the tl1000 v-twin was the tlr 1000. The TLS is a some what radically designed bike, like the rear suspension and cam drive design and somewhat copied Ducati designs like the twin trellis frame and twin fairing mounted ram air intakes. It's definitly a deferent kind of ride than most are familiar to. Most tls's like mine are painted Ducati red probably a suttle yet unmistakable message to the world that they were going for Ducati's head and perhaps they did make a superior bike to the 916 but then along came the 996,998, and the infamous 999 so I think Suzuki gave up on trying to compete with Ducati's much superior v-twin technology. Suzuki did do a great job with the tl1000 engine. It's a friggen beast but it's no Ducati although it did compete with what everyone else was putting out at the time. Anyway, I figured I'd give a brief history about the bike. Most people are not familiar with it. I get asked a lot where the belly fairing is. Well, they musta left all of them at the factory cause no tls's came with a belly fairing. Suzuki wanted to show off their new v-twin and show how narrow the bike is before they covered it up with the tlr the next year. The tlr looks like any gsxr u see on the road just a bit narrower with an orbital rear damper and separate horizontal chassis mounted spring similar to the TLS. Enough about the bike. So how do I get info about your club?

[/URL]

Last edited by GElite; 12-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode