New to Seattle - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

New to Seattle

Hey guys,
I currently live in Arizona, but a job opportunity has opened up in Bellevue. I'm currently thinking it over and doing research over the weekend, and I am calling them back on monday. Part of my decision includes, how is the riding up there?

I don't know what tracks are near there, and what racing organizations there are. Also are there a lot of good roads near seattle? How does the incesant rain factor in to the riding? Are there enough sunny, dry afternoons to get some good riding in? (I guess I'd have to stop using takeoffs, and go back to real street tires for the wet, huh?) Any information would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
I've never lived there, but visited and been on business quite a few times. Seems to have rained 50% of the time that I made it up there.

From what I've heard and seen, I think lane splitting is not legal there. Any truth or verification of this?

Last edited by DaDuck748; 12-21-2002 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

I visited there a few years ago. It was their longest stretch without rain in 6 months while I was there. I pissed off all my friends walking around saying "I don't know what everyone is complaining about, its so nice and sunny here!!!"

Lane splitting isn't legal here either, so I'm not worried about it.

Last edited by Kevlar7R; 11-26-2002 at 12:15 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:47 AM
jrm

Yeah, it does rain a bunch up here. Good news is it never gets really cold, but that is relative to what you are used to. As it rains so much, you don't get nearly as much slippery action when it first starts raining. Roads are ALWAYS washed clean and that probably makes rain riding much safer here than AZ.

Tracks nearby are Pacific Raceway about 45min south of Bellevue and Portland International in Portland, OR. Spokane has a track too. There are some excellent winding roads as you head up into the Cascades. I would expect simlar to what you would find in AZ mountains, but much greener.

Back to weather, we are currently enjoying what has to be a very dry October/November. I could ride every day for the past several weeks. It gets down to freezing occasionally, and you get plenty of frost, but rarely any snow or frozen streets. If you rode like it is cold out, you'd have little problem. We do get equal stretches of CRAP weather where it rains 80 days in a row some winters. I prefer a dryer, warmer climate, but Seattle CAN be really nice. If you want out of the heat, you would probably love the summers. Winters get sloppy most times.

Right now at 7:45 am, it is 35 degrees, clear and crisp with a beautiful sunrise showing off Mt Rainier--an excellent ride, too. I'd go riding today, but some bastard stole my CBR Sunday.

Jef
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:42 AM
UFO

What jrm said, and you can't beat scenery like this

Lots of good roads and places to ride including British Columbia, Oregon, and Idaho if you like long distance stuff. Here's a summer ride I took through WA, ID, MT, and OR with some pictures giving you an idea of roads and terrain. http://www.sport-touring.net/rides/glacier/index.shtml

Last edited by UFO; 11-27-2002 at 11:45 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

OKay, cool.
Thanks for the info guys! So, how is the cost of living up there? How much is average rent? How much is an average house?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:46 PM
jrm

Check out SeattleInsider.com. You can probably find lots of rent or house price samplings. Bellevue is one of the higher priced areas around (that mortals can afford anyway. there are more expensive, too).

I'd say in my corner of NW Seattle, rents range from 7-1000/mo for something nicer than a studio. Neighbors that just moved out of rental house said they paid $1800/mo RENT. 2 BDRM houses may be in 200-250k range. Overall, I think things are fairly HIGH, but I am not up on my current figures.

If I was working in Bellevue, I'd consider living farther North or East toward Woodinville or Carnation. Woodinville is very suburban. Carnation/Snoqualmie/Fall City are rural. Depends on how far you want to commute in the rain and what your entertainment demands are.

When are you moving up?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 PM

Seattle Area Rules!

Its awesome up here, man. There are LOTS of great roads to ride. Check out the S curves in 405. Sweet!

It's wet a lot. Not pouring rain all the time, but at least a steady, insanity-inducing drizzle. We just say it rains a bunch to keep the Californians away.

You can not imagine better summers, though. From about mid-July through the end of September, maybe mid-October, it's just phenomenal.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:35 PM

Exclamation PNW riding....

....if none of the others have mentioned it,lane splitting is NOT legal here. You can,however,use the carpool lanes.

Jim
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 04:38 PM

Hey Kev, after living in San Diego for a while I can tell you that you will miss the weather, BUT there are plenty of places to ride up here that will make it worth while. The cost of living is going to be alittle more than what you're used to, if you decide to live in King County. Pierce County is a long commute to the Eastside, but the cost of living is less. The commute itself is HORRIBLE!! So if you can afford to live close to work, do it! I live in Kent and I work downtown... all I have to say is thank GOD for the bus. Something you could consider... get a dirt bike. I'm not saying this because I'm recruiting (hehehe), but because the dirt riding up here is KILLER. There are so many awesome places to go off-road you'll hardly ever have to be off two wheels. Any aspect of dirt is at your finger tips... dunes, trails, track. If it wasn't for the shitty politics in Washington State, it'd be the perfect place to live, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode