So where can I ride fast and not get caught? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

So where can I ride fast and not get caught?

Where do you guys ride with little risk of getting a ticket? I've ben driving too fast on my commute to work (in the carpool lane ticketed twice now) and need to find someplace to get the speed out of my system. I'm north of Seattle in the Kirkland area and work in Everett. Normally I drive around Lowell river road and the vally there in Snohomish but I've seen too many cops there lately.

I'm somewhat leary of stevens pass or snoqualmie but I hear out by Issaquah would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 04:18 PM

Try www.ugofast.com for a track day near you.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

I've been on track, with my car at least.

On the only track within easy driving distance the front streight is not really long enough to be able to top out the bike. Or am I wrong? Can I top out my CBR 900 at SIR? There was no way I could get over about 120 in my MR2 and I don't think I could get over 150 on that streight. A built viper only got up to about 150 on the front streight.

I drove a little bit of Snoqualmie yesterday and that seemed pretty decent but as I said I'm learyof cops.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 04:41 PM

Re: I've been on track, with my car at least.

Quote:
Originally posted by krsteen
On the only track within easy driving distance the front streight is not really long enough to be able to top out the bike. Or am I wrong? Can I top out my CBR 900 at SIR? There was no way I could get over about 120 in my MR2 and I don't think I could get over 150 on that streight. A built viper only got up to about 150 on the front streight.

I drove a little bit of Snoqualmie yesterday and that seemed pretty decent but as I said I'm learyof cops.
Top speed does not make low lap times.

Why in the world would you be concerned about what top speed on a straight would be?

Just do a track day. You will see what I mean.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Been on the track before, quite a lot.

Like I said I've been on the track before quite a lot in my car so I do know what you are talking about. There is no comparrision between the speeds to you can attain on the track and what you can safely ride on the road. But I also know that it gets really expensive going to track days a lot. A lot more expensive than just knowing some nice roads somewhere where I can ride, not at the same pace I would ride on the track, but at good speeds none the less, and in the case of streight line speeds, faster.

At any rate if anyone cares out around Issaquah and Snoqualmie Pass is about the best area I have found so far. Just head off into the back roads and you find many places with great scenery, no driveways, nice rides out that way.

And as for the who cares about streight line speeds, well I do. I get a kick out of going as fast as I can, streight line or whatever. Twisties are certainly more of a challenge and it takes a ton of skill to go fast in the corners. While it may not take much skill to twist the throttle all the way in 5th or 6th gear it sure is fun. Maybe someday I won't want to go really fast a lot but it's been 10 years so far and I still get a kick out of it. In my cars before and now on my bike. I mean why does anyone buy a sportbike? Personally I'd like a ferrari but this was a whole lot cheaper.

Heh supposedly the new 250z has a top speed of 183mph with ~250hp, and a price tag of 27,000 for the base model.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Sounds like you either need to get more into cars or get on the drag strip with a bike (or car).

Last edited by DaDuck748; 07-29-2002 at 02:57 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaDuck748
Sounds like you either need to get more into cars or get on the drag strip with a bike (or car).
....or maybe Bonneville salt flats.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Founder

Re: Been on the track before, quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally posted by krsteen
And as for the who cares about streight line speeds, well I do.
Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize that you were looking for a place to do a "top-speed" run.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 11:06 PM

I think your problem comes when your speeding all the time.

Stick to the slow lane or just to don't go passing cars all the time. Just go really, really fast till you get to the car in front of you. Then go slow for a bit. Just make sure your not the fastest vehicle on the road. Thats what I aim for.

Reminds me the other day my wallet blew out of my pocket riding during rush hour (I-205 portland, OR). The wind had some how unzipped it. I tell you when you have your pay check in it your going to go very fast looking for it. I thought I felt it blow out and as soon as I realized it did. I just gunned it till I made it to the next exit. Turned around floored it again till I was at the next exit to get to the other side of the freeway and retrace my steps.. Thank god I found it. No telling how many vehicle ran over it.

Zak
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:51 AM

I agree with Zak- the WORST place to be in WA while speeding is the car pool lane! I do like he was saying, I will safely and as stealthly (is that a word??) as possible pass a car in the fast lane. Check my six and... BAM!!!! pin it until I reach the next car. Sneak around it... no cops around?..? BAM!!! Do it again..Repeat as neccesary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode