Best area to live in NW? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Talking Best area to live in NW?

OK, this is sort of a broad question, so I have no idea how to really construct my post ...

I am fed up with my life and moving out West. I am attracted to the NW because of my mountaineering experience. I haven't been climbing in 3 years because I've been wallowing on the East Coast doing the whole "career" thing while buried so deep in a city that leaving my apartment was more hassle than fun. Now I am highly skilled with this computer thingy (expert with MM Flash + backend scripting + blah blah blah) and am ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Here's my main criteria for what I want outside of work:

Mountaineering within a days drive
Off Road Bicycling/Motorcycling
Motorcycle Track for streetbikes
good live music that rocks hard
"New Urban" city planning (i.e. not Atlanta)

I have been reading about Eugene, OR and of course Portland. I have to say that Vancouver is exactly where I want to be, but I'm unsure how an American can penetrate the workforce or if I can really afford to live there. Any tips would be welcome! Feel free to email me with any advice!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up

Tim all the things you mentioned are here in the Western part of this state!!!
Ask for web sites and I will send you some I have . I suggest the local Seattle papers and TV web sites,if you'd like and I will send 'em to ya!!
Good luck in yer hunt!!

PS: I also lived for over 11 years in Orygun and loved it there too!!

JIM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 06:30 PM

Vancouver

Well Vancouver does have everything but it is a cement jungle and a damn hassle to get around. if u pick that area try to live in the ouskirts like burnably, surrey, even as far out as abbotsford. but to live in the city is expen$ive. as for job worries i dont think someone of skill would have any difficulties finding a job, as mostly if u have some skills you get hired, providing the interview is professional. If yer lookin for a great outdoorsy place try the okanagan valley also in B.C. its very mild in winter and dang hot in the summer we have some sweet mountains excellent skiing, and lakes everywhere!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 06:34 PM

A friend of mine travels almost constantly for his job, and he was raving about how great Portland was (I was surprised).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 11:50 PM

almost everywhere west of the cascades will fit ---
find a good job first, then look for a nice place to homestead every big and small city out here has a nice part of town.
now if you don't need a job and you got lots of $$ .....let me help you spend it
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys!
I might be shooting y'all some PMs next week...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 04:51 PM

I live a short ferry ride west of Seattle and absolutely love it.

I climbed Rainier last year and planning a harder route this year, possibly two. Done lots of climbing in the Olympics, some stuff in the Cascades.

I mountain bike at least one a week. There are great trails out here, if you don't mind driving a few miles to get there.

The whole area is terrific for someone who loves the outdoors. Very seldom does it actually rain, normally just sorta pisses and drizzles A LOT. But the summers are incredible.

Unfortunately, I'm in the Navy and having a hard time finding my next assignment in the area, so it looks like I'll probably end up leaving. On the upside, you can buy my house.

Music: well, it is Seattle.

I enjoy Oregon, too, but you can't beat NW Washington.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".

Last edited by scotty; 06-05-2002 at 04:54 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by wedge
now if you don't need a job and you got lots of $$ .....let me help you spend it
That is true comedy
Thanks for all the tips.. nearly everyone I ask says to go for Washington state. I spent time in Seattle and Vancouver one summer and loved it. God knows how I ended up in the largest military housing district in the U.S. instead (otherwise known as the Baltimore/Washington Metro Area). :P

Realistically, I have to scrounge up some work, and that will surely have a say in where I initially land. But you guys are posting some reassuring opinions!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:35 AM

I would shoot for Southern Oregon. I used to live in Medford and it's really nice. It's a moderate sized city (don't let the population fool you, the city expanded past the city limits 20 years ago so the population on paper never gets any bigger) so there are about 200-250k people in the area (several smaller towns)

The weather kicks but, year round riding (a fraction of the rain that Portland gets) and it's a relatively easy drive to either the bay area (sears point) or Portland (Portland International Raceway) As an added bonus, you get thousands of miles of tasty backroads within 15 minuites or so of the valley.

It has between 8 and 10 outstanding motorcycle shops including Motorcycle USA (online outfit) where a buddy of mine is the retail manager. And the shopping right in town is as good as you need. Traffic is not bad at all, and the city is really re-thinking it's urban planning routine.

Lemme know if you want to know anything else (I currently live in Corvallis OR)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:36 AM

OOPS, I forgot...

Did I mention Medford has AWESOME MEXICAN FOOD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode