Portland, OR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Portland, OR

I recently spent a week working in Portland and there is a pretty good chance that I will end up moving there within the next couple months. Soooo....I'll be looking for Portland area riders to hook up with and show me where the roads are. Some are pretty obvious like St. Helens but I would think there is some good stuff toward the coast as well. Anyway, my preference is fast but not stupid. See you when the sun comes out!

James

If 33 red cows enter a race with a total of 37 cows, should anyone be surprised when a red cow wins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 06:53 AM

Thumbs up

There are some really, really good roads around there. Specifically, I'd recommend taking 214 from Portland down through Silverton, past Silver Falls and down into Stayton. It's not too far and zero traffic on a weekday.

Or take hwy 20 up through Santiam pass to Bend on a summer's day.

For a longer trip, stay on 20 all the way to Ontario. High desert that eventually runs down through a river valley and follows the river for some super twisty sections. Watch for cops and deer, though.

The coast is good, but you'll always want to hit it during the off-season. 101 is super busy on a summer Saturday.

Just go exploring.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scotty
There are some really, really good roads around there. Specifically, I'd recommend taking 214 from Portland down through Silverton, past Silver Falls and down into Stayton. It's not too far and zero traffic on a weekday.

Or take hwy 20 up through Santiam pass to Bend on a summer's day.

For a longer trip, stay on 20 all the way to Ontario. High desert that eventually runs down through a river valley and follows the river for some super twisty sections. Watch for cops and deer, though.

The coast is good, but you'll always want to hit it during the off-season. 101 is super busy on a summer Saturday.

Just go exploring.
Those are good ones.
Also try Hwy 14 on the Washington side. It paralells the Columbia river, Beautiful, Fast, Smooth, Curves!! There are a few back roads out by The Dalles that are pretty nice. Other than that, You're on your own.
Just go downtown on Broadway (right next to Pioneer Courthouse Square) on a Saturday night. Lots of riders to ask.

Good Luck

E~

If they're psychic, why didn't they know you were coming?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 02:02 PM

Cool

Let us know if ya make the move!!
Try taking the "Sunset Highway" or SR26 out to the coast.
I also like riding down 99W instead of I-5.

Jim

You don't stop riding because you get old;You get old because you stop riding!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Well I went to Portland to work again for a few days and they officially made me an offer which I accepted. So, the wife and I will be moving down in less than a month. It's not exactly riding season but it seems like you freaks on the west side will ride in just about anything. I'll keep y'all posted.

James

If 33 red cows enter a race with a total of 37 cows, should anyone be surprised when a red cow wins?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 06:12 AM

Quite a few of us do organized rides during the summer...I guess they do a January 1st 'polar bear' ride, but I am too much of a wuss for that

Go to http://www.motorcyclesnw.com/ for more details.

Also send me a mail if you wanna go riding when it warms up a little!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 03:03 PM

Welcome to Stumptown!

I went on some absolutely awesome rides this last year, usually on a Monday or Tuesday (since those are two of my days off), and will do them again this summer. Two of the rides in particular were about 350 miles total and all day events. I rode to Maupin for lunch one day and went SR14 in Washington to Klickitat, south to Tygh Valley and back. Oh my God those were awesome rides.

Closer to home, Yamhill County has some great rides and they are close to civilization too. I'm still learning the great riding roads around here, but it seems the legendary type rides either take all day or take all day to get to the really good roads. I would love to do a two or three day ride through Eastern Oregon this next year.

I'm also a warm weather rider, but if it's dry I'm game.

Hope to see you around!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 06:46 AM

Good to see a few others here from the Portland area. Birdman, welcome to Portland, and there are plenty of good rides in the area. Shoot me an e-mail when you want to ride.

erik900ss, I see you have the same days off I have Have you ridin' up Apiary, that's one twisty road and it's in good condition.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SmallMonkey

Those are good ones.
Also try Hwy 14 on the Washington side. It paralells the Columbia river, Beautiful, Fast, Smooth, Curves!!

Good Luck
Awesome section of blacktop. Just watch out for wind gusts coming up out of the canyons. Enjoy!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:22 PM

Motoracer, never been up Apiary. I'm tryin for a ride on the 24th with a buddy from Vancouver. If it works out, it'll just be enough to get some miles on the bike and maybe get a new tank of gas. Hopefully I'll have a couple free hours before the family comes over for dinner. If it's slick like it was this morning, I'll stay inside. Damn, about 7:30 when the sun came up it got slippery!!!!

I'm just across the river from you in West Linn. We should hook up for a ride when weather permits!

Happy Holidays,
Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode