wassup from 757 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

wassup from 757

just signed up on bikerforum.org as well, so I copied and pasted my intro over here. (forgive me for cheating lol)

I'm Bryan, new to the motorcycle/sportbike world. I'm a huge car guy, but I have had plans to get into riding as well. I don't own a bike yet. I plan to get some rider training first and probably get a decent starter bike to practice on. At first, I just wanna learn to ride and cruise it up, but I might have some interest down the road in racing. any suggestions on riding schools around south-hampton roads?

I know a few things about bike mechanics and ridng, but you can sum all of it up to basically the equivalent of nothing.

I'm from virginia beach, va. I have a couple friends who ride. and actually, a few of my friends from the car world are plannin on gettin into riding as well... mostly b/c the car hang outs out here are becmming a waste of time.

But as I said, I just wanna ride. I'm pretty cool, very socialable. I want to make some new friends along the way and hit the roads for the reason they were paved. to cruise. (i know thats not really why they were paved, but I thought it was a good punch line)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

What kind of bike did you get? I am in NC, but make my way up to the Va Beach area once or twice a year to hang with friends, and once or so for business. Love the scenery, but not so much on the highways.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

What kind of bike did you get? I am in NC, but make my way up to the Va Beach area once or twice a year to hang with friends, and once or so for business. Love the scenery, but not so much on the highways.
I feel ya on that, no doubt our roads are amoung the worst on the east coast lol

I havn't bought a bike yet. I'm taking a rider course this may, unless I can find one sooner. thne I'm probably gonna look at buying a used ninja 250 or 100? I just started research and I like kawasaki so far. I love the 2011 ducati, but its way too nice and way too fast for me right now.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyslow View Post
I feel ya on that, no doubt our roads are amoung the worst on the east coast lol

I havn't bought a bike yet. I'm taking a rider course this may, unless I can find one sooner. thne I'm probably gonna look at buying a used ninja 250 or 100? I just started research and I like kawasaki so far. I love the 2011 ducati, but its way too nice and way too fast for me right now.
Yeah... I'm in Petersburg right now, and the roads do make me wish they were smoother. But I'm driving my Lariat, and it always makes the rough roads nicer

The Ninja 250 is a pretty dam nice bike in my opinion. Good to ride around for a while and still be able to sell at a decent price. I definitely wouldn't recommend a Ducati as a first bike. Not only are they a beast of a bike, the can cost a buck to fix.

Have you looked at all at the Suzuki SV 650? Very capable bike, pretty low maintenance, not too expensive, and enough torque to make it seem like a bigger bike out of corners. I see lots of them on the tracks.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Yeah... I'm in Petersburg right now, and the roads do make me wish they were smoother. But I'm driving my Lariat, and it always makes the rough roads nicer

The Ninja 250 is a pretty dam nice bike in my opinion. Good to ride around for a while and still be able to sell at a decent price. I definitely wouldn't recommend a Ducati as a first bike. Not only are they a beast of a bike, the can cost a buck to fix.

Have you looked at all at the Suzuki SV 650? Very capable bike, pretty low maintenance, not too expensive, and enough torque to make it seem like a bigger bike out of corners. I see lots of them on the tracks.
I agree on the ducati, 100%. I have checked into the suzuki market but not a whole lot. My goal was to pick a bike that I'm sure I can keep control of. I chose not to buy a 600series just for the sole possibility of not being able to handle it. Being totally new to riding I don't really know what my limits are.

there are some things I read about the ninja that I don't like, as well. but what bike is perfect? ninjas seem to be popping up in the cheaper used sales in this area too at the moment. (which was another deciding factor)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyslow View Post
I agree on the ducati, 100%. I have checked into the suzuki market but not a whole lot. My goal was to pick a bike that I'm sure I can keep control of. I chose not to buy a 600series just for the sole possibility of not being able to handle it. Being totally new to riding I don't really know what my limits are.

there are some things I read about the ninja that I don't like, as well. but what bike is perfect? ninjas seem to be popping up in the cheaper used sales in this area too at the moment. (which was another deciding factor)
That's respectable, and it all seems well thought out. How soon do you think you'll be getting one? Try to get as many schools as you can effectively. Start with MSF and go from there. If you stay on sport bikes, try to get to a track day or two eventually so you can see what the bikes are really capable of. In no time you'll be addicted and learning even more!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode