Track day @ Summit Point - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Track day @ Summit Point

Northeast Sportbike is hosting track days at Summit Point the weekend October 31st / November 1st. I was thinking about spending the weekend honing my limited skills and putting a huge smile on my face before the cold weather rolls in for good. My wife to be is going to follow me down in SUV with the cooler, lawn chairs, and BBQ grill!

Could be a fun weekend. Any other takers?

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 07:03 AM

hmmmm. sounds like it could be fun. Will have to see. My skills could use some schooling as well.

By the way---was going to try to ride this past weekend, but my girlfriend threw me a surprise b-day party Sat, and I was recovering on Sun. I was kind of pissed having to help my future brother-in-law do house work as the day was so nice, but it all came clear as I came home.

Hopefully this weather stays good!

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kathy Send a message via Yahoo to Kathy
Neat idea to go. I would like to go someday to develop my skills. Jeffrey said he would too someday, but not that weekend.

Mike, has a wife now? Last I read it was girlfriend, now wife. Cool. Congrats to you both. Does she have her license yet? Always looking for another female for our group. Our daughters, Trisha and Danielle will be joining us next year for our rides. Will be fun with more female riders.

Justin, happy b-day a few days late. Hope you recover soon.

Whatever!

Last edited by Kathy; 11-23-2003 at 03:26 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:39 PM

Hmmm....I might join also. Got to check the schedule. Tell me which day your thinking off.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Not married yet. She is still listed as "wife to be" for another 11 months. She does not ride in front yet but she will be getting here license next year. I have to warn everyone she is a huge harley fan and seeing as she is vertically challenged there are not many options for rides in the sportbike arena. We may have a cruiser with us in the future. However, I was looking online @ bikes and saw an awesome 1991 NC30 (400cc, single sided swing arm, etc etc) sportbike that may have a seat low enough.

As for Summit Point, you can blame Mark and Justin for this latest round of interest. We went out on a great (but cold) ride a couple of weekends ago. Got home from the ride, ordered a winter riding coat, a set of Diablo tires, a new set of kneesliders, and started reading up on suspension tuning. The bug is back! I should be getting my bike back tomorrow night from having the tires mounted and will be looking to scrub them in this weekend if the weather is permitting and someone wants to hook up for a ride. Saturday is probably no good due to conflicts. I realized after posting my original message that Oct 31st is a Friday. That means I will probably be leaning (get it!) towards Saturday the 1st, but I won't rule out the 31st if it works better for any other interested parties. Derick, If I remember your posts, didn't you take a track day recently? If so, did you take the RC? How much did you have to do to get through tech?

Mike

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:40 AM

Yes I took the RC to the JC track. It was fun, and incredibly tiring. Its a smaller track with a short straight away. Your almost always on a turn, and some say its more demading than the main course.

For tech you just have to make sure the lights, turn signal are taped up. I used painters tape under the duct tape so the duct tape will come off easy. They check the tires, chain, etc....it was pretty quick. Also I had a number plate on the back, but when I got there i saw people use mailbox numbers or just electrical tape shaped into numbers. You either have to have 1 in the front, or two on the tail on each side. In the beginner class you don't have to worry about safty wiring or replacing the coolant.
Pretty much tape up the bike.

Nesba

I think its great...you go at your pace and ride.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Excellent idea on the double tape. I used straight duct tape on my trip to Canada this summer (to protect the paint from the tail bag) and it was a royal pain getting the gunk off. I have heard that it is worse for tape over hot lights. Did you remove the mirros and the license plate? Hope you decide to go. I have yet to see the RC.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 05:59 AM

I think I'm going to hold off till Spring or early summer; I have so much I want to do to my bike...not the least of which is new tires, which it needs before it goes near a track, and no spare change for those right now.

I'm thinking new tires, get the front forks worked over, install the steel lines I have on hand, take off the centerstand, get rear sliders/spools, flyscreen, maybe change out the handlebar, then there's the rear shock, steering damper......like to do all this at one time over the winter.
For me , I need leathers that go together (mine don't zip together).

Oh, and for shorter riders, have you looked at the Bandit 400 or Honda CB-1? Had a Bandit, buddy had a CB, both incredibly fun bikes, and have pretty short seat heights. Altho the NC30 would be the real deal, I'd have to steal that one away for a ride! How short is she? My sister is 5'3" and can tip-toe her '03 SV (taller than my '02), and you can get the gel seat, or shave the stocker to lower it without doing any suspension mods.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Justin, Sorry you can't make it. Sounds like you've got great plans for the winter. I don't know if you are heading back to the Pilot Sports but I put about 120 miles on my new diablo's this weekend and LOVE them. They stick very well right to the edge of the tire. I'm so happy with them I'll probably leave the suspension settings alone (other than checking the sag). Let me know if you want to go carve some roads this coming weekend.

My fiance is around the same height as your sister and I'd like her to have something that she doesn't have to stand on tip toes for her starter bike. Knowing her personality, she'll get a couple of weeks experience under her belt and will be stealing the busa

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:23 AM
Dad

Pull the headlight fuse to prevent melting the glue, or worse, melting the lense or burning the reflector.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode