1st post: Anyone in MD care to help out a fellow enthusiast? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

1st post: Anyone in MD care to help out a fellow enthusiast?

Hi All-
Heres my story. I just passed my learners permit test today (100%). I have registered for the MVA motorcycle saftey class, but that isnt until aug 22

I am looking for someone in MD (close to baltimore) who would be willing to teach me the basics now. I would pay for whatever gas I used, and would buy lunch whenever we got together. I have studied the manual as much as you could, am a super fast learner with great balance,im just looking for someone to help enlighten me. Please let me know, this would be a huge help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 09:53 AM

Who's going to be supplying the learning bike?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

lol... did you have to ask? i do not have any form of bike now. Thats why i wanted to make a post and see if i could pursuade peoples good sides to help me. So i need someone with something i can learn on.

thats why i said i would pay gas.. the bike wont go down i dont plan on riding it in the street in traffic. Only in a big parking lot or something secluded to learn the basics... im hopin someone says "yes"

In addition to food and gas id even be able to pay a "teaching fee" of sorts

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:07 AM

Well, I don't exactly have a good learners bike right now, but I was thinking of taking on a summer project of rebuilding a 250... If I DO, then it'd still be a couple months

There's alot of other riders in the baltimore area on SBW, so hopefully someone would be willing to help you out. I'd be up for weekend riding around though if you can find someone to lend a bike.

-Adam
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks-im really hoping someone steps up and helps me
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:16 AM

I hate to jinx you, but dropping the bike while learning is almost inevitable. I dropped my first ('80 GS450) in the grass a couple times before I got the hang of balance, clutch, gas, shift.....I taught my sister to ride last year before her MSF class. She dropped her (new Harley) bike twice, both times in the grass- no damage. It's just getting used to the weight, and balance, and turning that makes you drop it. That being said, she did extremely well in the MSF clas, knowing the basics.

If you could scrounge up either cash, beg or borrow a beater bike to learn on ( an ideal would be a 250 dual sport) doesn't have to be nice, you just want it to learn on anyway, right?

sorry- thats not much help. but if you could get a bike to beat on for awhile, I'm sure someone will help you out. Maybe somebody has a old standard or something hanging around the garage?

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:20 AM

This is probably a pretty tough sell. Why not go buy a super cheap bike like an old enduro or nighthawk 250. Probably get it for under 500, don't need plates or insurance if you keep it off te street, and can sell it in 2 months for what you payed.

Just look in the local classifieds and see what you can get that runs and has working brakes. That's about all you need.

Good luck
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:36 AM

Why don't you pick up that ZX-6 now, get yourself a 2002 if the 2003's are out. The Dealer WILL sell you a bike with only a learners.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

1. how will i get it home? no one in my family knows how to drive a bike.

2. i was kinda hopin someone had as th dude above said a "beater bike" they would be willing to show me the basics on. i fi got the basics i would have no problem buying the bike now. but as already statedif i get a nice 6K new bike with NO basic skills, im going down...

i dunno was just hoping for a diff solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode