Ride to skyline drive Saturday 27! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Ride to skyline drive Saturday 27!

I would like to head out to the skyline drive next weekend. Saturday 27 or Sunday 28 of this month. Anyone intersted?

Since there are many people scattered around MD, VA, DC where is a good midway point to meet for everyone to get together?

I was Thinking maybe Front Royal, MD.

The skyline drive is nice, because there are no lights, no one gets left behind. It would be a nice trip. The skyline drive is 106 miles. I think i will go south on it, then go back north after refueling.

I did a 400 mile trip thursday and it was pretty nice until the thunderstorms got me, i must have ridden through 5 storms, and they were some of the worst i have seen. The road had about 1 foot of water.

I think the temp is going to be in the mid 60's for sat.

Ricardo
www.pileofgarbage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:34 PM

Wow... I thought that you were refering to Skyline Drive here in the SF Bay Area. Over here we have a major sportbike hangout located at the intersection of Skyline Dr (Hwy 35) and Highway 84. Nicknamed Skylonda, Four Corners or Alice's.

Miguel
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: Ride to skyline drive Saturday 27!

Quote:
Originally posted by ricardo
The skyline drive is nice, because there are no lights, no one gets left behind. It would be a nice trip. The skyline drive is 106 miles. I think i will go south on it, then go back north after refueling.
Skyline is beautiful, but it can be painfully slow. The speed limit is something like 35, and getting stuck behind the tourists taking in the sights at 25 is even worse. Beautiful road though. Just some FYI. Have a good ride

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 04:04 PM

It's Front Royal, Va. not Maryland.....it's OK though. There are some great roads out here. Suggestion, (1) buy a Va road map (2) get a hi-liter (3) Find route 55 at Gainsville (4) trace from 55 at Gainsville Rt. 55 to Front Royal, south on Rt. 522 to Rt.211 , west on 211 to Rt. 11, Rt. 11 north to Rt. 7, Rt. 7 east to 340, 340 north to Harpers Ferry, then a "B" line home. About a five 1/2 hour ride with breaks. Let me know what ya think.......take the camera!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel24
It's Front Royal, Va. not Maryland.....it's OK though. There are some great roads out here. Suggestion, (1) buy a Va road map (2) get a hi-liter (3) Find route 55 at Gainsville (4) trace from 55 at Gainsville Rt. 55 to Front Royal, south on Rt. 522 to Rt.211 , west on 211 to Rt. 11, Rt. 11 north to Rt. 7, Rt. 7 east to 340, 340 north to Harpers Ferry, then a "B" line home. About a five 1/2 hour ride with breaks. Let me know what ya think.......take the camera!!

Whats a hi-liter?

Those roads look good. Ive riden most of 211 near the skyline drive Thursday, it was pretty nice. But i like the consistency of the skyline drive, turn after turn.

How about 55 west, 11south, 33west, 219 north, 50 east.. Head home.

Ricardo
www.pileofgarbage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode