Road test for licence...need some help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Road test for licence...need some help

Guys, I'm going for my licence test this monday, and I was wondering if there is any tips you can provide?
You know when you went for ur car test, you had to have your hands at 10 and 2, is there similar stuff to taking the bike test?
any tips will help

btw, this is for a NYS licence.
Thanks guys
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 07:23 PM

For starters make sure you know where everything is located on the bike including switches, brake & clutch levers, starter, kill switch, etc. While riding the course stay focused on where you're going, block everything else out including the examiner. Before I took my riding test I went to the local DMV a couple of times and practiced on the test course in the rear parking lot. The course is painted on the blacktop which is great 'cause I needed the practice! Maybe your DMV has a similar set up???

In any case I wish you the best of luck.

Drathen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 07:31 PM

Hi Keith,

My best tip would be to take a bike along that is light and maneuverable and I'd say you've got that covered with your bike! Just relax and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 08:55 PM

For the test I had to take in Washington state, I practiced my pants off to make sure I knew all the maneuvers (I had a book that had the tests in it).

I went to where they did the test, only on the weekend, found all the markers painted on the pavement, put up tin cans in place of the small cones they used, and practiced all tests over, and over, and over again. On a 600 lb 1100 cc standard bike that I still have. The bike was the best maneuvering machine I had, and it was very good at slow speed turns.

One day a cop found me there, I did not notice him watching me until I finished one of the box turns, and I thought he was going to ticket me for no license, but instead he proceeded to tell me some great tips for ultra slow speed maneuvering in tight spots. It worked, I only missed two points for skidding the front wheel on a stop. I still use what he told me today, it was some of the best advice I ever got.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 06:02 AM

Watch Your Safety Gear. A guy I work with took the week long safety course and did very well. The final test was at the end of the week and he took the test but forgot to put his glasses on (in his breat pocket of his shirt - no full face helmet) and they funked him. They were very nice about it and did let him come back the next day take the test which he passed again.

Good Luck
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips guys I passed! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eheheh
keith
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 08:08 PM

Cool!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a whole new life is all in front of you !!! have fun stay safe!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 08:09 PM

Congratulations.

Now, if you had to take the riding test, I assume either you didn't take the MSF or NY state DMV sucks. If it's the first one, go take the class now. You may have the basics for riding the gs down but the strategic lessons they'll teach are worth the effort and will pay off every day you ride.

Welcome to the riding world.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
Congratulations.

Now, if you had to take the riding test, I assume either you didn't take the MSF or NY state DMV sucks. If it's the first one, go take the class now. You may have the basics for riding the gs down but the strategic lessons they'll teach are worth the effort and will pay off every day you ride.

Welcome to the riding world.
Thanks for the kind words guys
Um, as for the MSF course, I signed up about a month ago, and am still waiting for a date.
I wanted to get my licence asap so I figured I'd take the test on my own. lucky for me I passed (don't know how..bike died during the test (engine cut off, I must have hit it when I was nervous) and I didn't know my hand signals, which she asked me to use! ) but I did
Keith
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 07:41 PM

Thumbs up

Congratulations Keith!!!!!!!!

Be safe!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode