WEST VIRGINIA (Again) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Question WEST VIRGINIA (Again)

I am in the early stages of my trip for May (real early) regarding routes 33 & 250 which side of 220 are better East or West or about the same Definition of BETTER: roads are smooth and lined and lots and lots of turns Thanks. Oh ya how is the weather mid May? guessing 75-80 %
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 12:54 PM

Just got back from my first extended trip to Western VA/Eastern WV (over Thanksgiving) and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of WV roads. I was expecting a lot of patched, rough roads, but can remember riding only one with patches, and they weren't bad at all.
Check out the post/link below, particularly the last paragraph. You need to go to the Pocahontas County link and fill out the info request for motorcyclists. You'll get a nice brochure with 4 motorcycle loops (135/150/120/220 miles) as well as a 30 page color brochure with lots of good info 'bout Pocahontas County.
https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=14437

VA has some nice roads as well, particularly the Western VA mountains bordering WV (Goshen Pass, etc). I enjoyed the area so much I'm planning on making it one of my earliest spring/summer getaways next year. I plan on posting in here in case anyone wants to join in!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 10:45 AM

All areas that you said are good and you should take a few days to explore the area. (you really need more than that) but the weather in May can change pretty quick. I was up there at the end of May this year and the weather was good but the next day a front came in and it rained bring the temp for the 70's down to the upper 40's and mid 50's.(had to stop and buy some long underwear at k-mart) In the late spring just be ready for anything and do not plan too hard just let the wind take you.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Hey DAD, you can jump in anytime (this is your backyard)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:55 AM
PJ1

Rt. 50 from Keyser, WV to Clarksbugh, WV is my backyard stompin ground and one of my favorite roads in West Virginia. 220 through PA and into MD will put you close to rt. 50. Rt. 50 varies from fast sweepers to mountain climbs through tight twisties. The best part of sport riding in WV is the lack of law enforcement in rural areas. Sometimes rural WV can remind you a little of Deliverance.

Last edited by PJ1; 12-06-2001 at 10:58 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 02:23 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by bbirdxx2000
Hey DAD, you can jump in anytime (this is your backyard)
You bet! PJ1 is right about rte. 50. It's one of my favorites. I don't usually run it all of the way to Clarksburg though due to a little extra traffic that far west, but the road is good. I use Grafton as my most extreme west direction and then over through Md. and back in to W.Va, then 42 south to Petersburg, 55 south to Seneca Rocks, then 33 to Harrisonburg Va. (college town with lots of hotels). I avoid 220 because it runs the valley and tends to be a bit tame and fairly heavy traffic. You can then backtrack on 33 (it's worth doing twice!) and get 28 south to 250, then 250 back up north-west. I've done that loop out of Pittsburgh as an overnighter, staying in Harrisonburg. You can get into the room by 5:00 or so, get rid of your stuff, and then run across the Shenandoah Valley on 33 (another outstanding set of twisties!), ride down to Staunton on Skyline Drive, dinner there, and a short interstate jaunt up 81 (it will be dark by then) back to Harrisonburg. 250 has some good parts but will tend to be a let down after those other roads. The best part of 250 is actually west of I-79 up towards Wheeling. West of Grafton is good too, but oftentimes has high traffic, especially getting through Fairmont. There are others, depends on how long you want to stay out. 20 south of Buckhannon is fun... maybe work that in with some others with another another day or two. Want to make it a week+ and go on down to Deal's Gap? You can two lane it the whole way on some pretty good roads! We could leave Harrisonburg and work our way from there, then return from the Smokies on Interstate 81, 77, 19, 79. That's a day to Pittsburgh (600miles). The only reason I say return interstate is your new tires will be pretty well cooked after a week of this and you may want to run the highway to get some use out of the middle of your tire. Some alternates like an eastern rte and a western rte might be wise with the choice based on weather. Mull that over and get back.

Do you have a Chatterbox?

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 12-06-2001 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dad, and thanks our base will be in Fairmont, arriving sat. (5/20) about 3-4PM Head out between 5-6PM, warm-up run Rt. 250W to 7W to 20S to Base (100 miles loop) Sun. Rt. 310S to 50E to 72S to 32S to 33E (Your Favorite) to 42S to 250W to 219N to 250W to I-79N Base (340 miles loop) Mon. 50W to 16S loop around via 161 and 103 (town of War) base . (400-mile loop) tues same as Sat. (Maybe) head back home to Western NY. Total miles in 4-days 1700-1800. total turns thousands
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:44 AM
Dad

Quote:
Hi Dad, and thanks our base will be in Fairmont, arriving sat. (5/20) about 3-4PM Head out between 5-6PM, warm-up run Rt. 250W to 7W to 20S to Base (100 miles loop) Sun. Rt. 310S to 50E to 72S to 32S to 33E (Your Favorite) to 42S to 250W to 219N to 250W to I-79N Base (340 miles loop) Mon. 50W to 16S loop around via 161 and 103 (town of War) base . (400-mile loop) tues same as Sat. (Maybe) head back home to Western NY. Total miles in 4-days 1700-1800. total turns thousands
Are these roads you have experience on or just mapping it? You've got some REAL good ones there. By interstate, I'm only about 75 miles to Fairmont so I'm sure we could hook up for at least some if not all of this. Your Sunday loop sounds good but... where you're getting off of 50E on to 72S you might reconsider because you're missing a good uphill tight stretch just after that intersection and before Cathedral State Park. It's only a few miles to the base of that hill. You could stay on 50, run that piece to the crest, turn around and run it back to 72, or continue on to 24S or on through Md. to 42S. All of those options are good but be sure to include that extra piece of 50.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Dad, just looked at the map, how about a take 50E to 219 and turn around. You are more than welcome to join us I will give you detailed Imfo next May
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:24 AM
Dad

Quote:
Dad, just looked at the map, how about a take 50E to 219 and turn around. You are more than welcome to join us I will give you detailed Imfo next May
You don't even have to go that far. The part I'm talking about is only about the first half of that distance. Looks REAL good. You'll love it. Just be sure to be off the two laners after dark. That could get pretty treacherous with wildlife and all. Keep in touch!

Last edited by Dad; 12-08-2001 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode