Thornton Gap/ 211 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Angry Thornton Gap/ 211

I have been riding now for about 16 years. I have done my share of stupid thigns on every kind of motorcycle you can imagine. I live close to one of the best riding areas around, (Thornton Gap near Sperryville, Va., Rt 211), and it is being ruined by those who have no business what so ever on a sport bike, much less a sportbike on a road with more than its' share of turns. I have no idea where they are coming from or where they learned to ride a bike but I wish they would stay home and cruise "the strip" leaving Thornton Gap to those who can stay in their own lane. 1 weekend ago a man was killed while riding and minding his own business because some t-shirted, tennis shoe scuffing, no-glove-wearing, "look how cool my half-assed wheelie looks", idiot ran into his lane because he couldn't tell the difference between a decreasing radius turn and his own ass. At one time the cops where pretty damn cool to the local riders who knew what they were doing, now they grill us for the antics of the idiots I refered to above. I have no doubt there are a [email protected]#! load of good riders on this forum and to those, I say more power to you. The [email protected]!#ing squids who come up and ruin it for those that can ride are litterally killing us! I don't mean to preach and I have never posted a "raging" message like this before but something has to give. If you don't have any business ON a sportbike, IN a turn, STAY HOME! You know who you are. For those that appreciate this sport as much as I do and have outgrown the urge to show-of, keep riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 05:30 AM

I share your message.... A while back I was on a group ride that was made up of "experienced" riders. We had a meeting before we took off so that everyone was aware of the type of riding we were about to do, and we wanted to make sure nobody was above thier heads, otherwise they should join the more relaxed group of riders.

Needless to say, third turn or so on our way up 211, a guy lowsides. Luckily he and his bike slid between the guardrail and a stone post. He was wearing full leathers, escaped with a sore ankle, and rode his bike home. We found out as he was dusting himself off he had only been riding for a month!

Lesson learned.

Ride safe......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 01:04 PM

Thumbs up Good ol 211

JMB3 I know what ya mean ....I cut my teeth on 211 about 20 years ago....(it's still one of my favorites)...have been down ther a few times this summer.. What a dang zoo it's become! I live about 15 or 30 minutes away...depending on my attitude at the time. Anymore it's just no fun unless your able to make the trip during mid week. It's still not to bad Mon. thru Fri. A couple of my friends and my girlfriend when down in mid Oct. around 3 in the afternoon (peak leaves...what a mistake)..and it was bumper to bumper in both directions. So we just hung out at "Cooters" til about 4:30 when most of the leaf lookers headed home and we made our dash to the top. I've been there when conditions were 100% better. There are really some novice folks out at 211 trying to test their machines before they have tested themselves. They have ruined the weekends there. But that's OK. My job requires me to know every road in a five county radius, and there are still alot of beautiful cruises, with just as much challenge and fun. One of my favorites is thru Luray out to Egypt Bend, cross the mountain then up thru the fort valley. Awesom.. Anyway be careful and watch out for the rookies...if your ever out towards the valley..give me a shout...I enjoy a good cruise with brief moments of intermittent insanity.....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 01:19 AM

Re: Good ol 211

Quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel24
A couple of my friends and my girlfriend when down in mid Oct. around 3 in the afternoon
Hey Squirrel...
You need to grab your Girlfriend...get her bike back together, and rip up some more asphalt soon! Be sure to invite me
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 02:15 PM

Talking Re: Re: Good ol 211

Which girlfriend..? and what's wrong with her bike..?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 01:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Good ol 211

Quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel24
Which girlfriend..? and what's wrong with her bike..?
I dont care WHICH one...Just ONE of them...and invite me... Common...Isnt it every mans dream to ride WITH two girls!?!?! heck, maybe even more if they can all get along
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 11:56 AM

Women..... not a problem

Hey Melody,

Two women and Thunderheart? Damn that sounds great!!!!!The great thing about getting older is you appreciate ladies much more. Anytime, eight, eighteen or eighty,blind, crippled or crazy, if they can't walk I'll carry them.

Thunderheart
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 08:22 AM

Hmmmm Thunderheart....
Ill have to think about that one, but Im sure if I look around I could find those Grannys on that Harley that would like to ride with you I think they might be eighty... What do you think Squirrel???
~Melody
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 11:53 AM

Eighty??

Melody,

Thanks for the encouragement, but eighty is just a little too young for me. They can still run fast - maybe one or two in those grooovy walkers.

Just kiddin around like usual.....

Ride Safe,

Thunderheart
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 10:03 AM

We've seen you before Melody. You ride a Solid, Yellow Suzuki Katana with bullet holes, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode