Sportbike World banner

where r the rest

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RCjohn 
#1 ·
we get to see ur ama a week later,i've been watching it 4 a few years now,and wot i cant understand is the lack of factory bikes there are,u got the 2 boys on the suzukis that run away with it every year,maybe the hondas have a bit of a go the rest are no where,dont even think there's more than 1 yamaha out there,couple of dukes and kwaka's,the rest of the field is full of susis,wots up with that? and its not as if u dont get full grids sometimes there's upwards of 40 bikes on the grid

#2 ·
I'm amazed by this, too. It makes me wonder why people even would buy anything but what everyone is racing (winning). How do the Kwak, Yam, Honda companies compete when all we ever see are the Suzis taking it away every weekend? I mean seriously. . a grid full of them!!!

maybe it's just luck and timing. I certainly can NOT race that fast, but it would be nice to see different brands of bikes out there, not just a Suzi-fest with a random Yam thrown in for the good measure.

#4 ·
What's really going to be interesting is that MotoGP is going to 800cc bikes (right?) in 2007, all the companies are having to redesign all of their stuff. . . .

Except Suzuki, who can rework the GSX-R750 a little bit and get it right. Looks like everyone is going back to the Suzis again....

good bikes vs. best riders. . . good argument either way. I'd say that it's all about the riders, just because Rossi dominated on a Honda, then he did the same thing on a Yamaha (a couple years ago).

Fast is only half of the equation; you must also be consistent.

#5 · (Edited)
Believe me. The GSXR750 will not be tweaked to make a GP bike for Suzuki. The motoGP bikes only look like our bikes.

As for the AMA, there really isn't a huge difference in the factory presence now as compared to a few years ago. It just seems that way. Yosh has been the main AMA factory team for many years. Kawasaki used Rob Muzzy for years then took it more in house and lately has used Attack racing. Honda has always been in house and supported a satellite team such as Erion. Was Two Brothers before Erion but Two Brothers was the Erion Brothers. Yamaha used Vance & Hines for years then went in house for awhile and now mainly uses Chuck Graves.

Since Superbikes went to 1000cc fours there isn't really a huge need for them to do things differently. The rules even in Superbike are fairly restrictive now and Ducati are the only ones that have special homologation bikes running in the US. Everyone else uses their streetbikes as a basis.... like Suzuki always has.

As messed up as it is, the Suzukis will probably continue to get their asses handed to them in MotoGP even when the displacement drops down. They will always have trouble competing with the Honda money. They never really have been that great of bikes in MotoGP. Their championship came in unique situations. Swantz won a championship that would have most likely went to a Yamaha with Rainey on it had Wayne not had the career ending crash. Not taking anything away from Swantz because that is part of racing. K Roberts, Jr. took a championship that for one didn't have a very good field of riders and there were a couple of rain races. KRJ is very good in the rain and rain takes the horsepower out of the equation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.