Sportbike World banner

Suzuki SV650S vs. Yamaha YZF600R

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Atown313 
#1 ·
Well.... It is time for me to get a new(er) bike. I know these are 2 different beasts so basically what I am looking for is something that is:
1. comfortable to ride
2. comfortable to ride with a pilliar rider
3. looks good

I sat on both of these bikes and it feels like the 600R has a less aggressive riding position. I have about a year and a half riding experience on cruisers so I know how the V-Twin engines run. Also, what difference am I going to notice between a fuel injected SV and a carburated 600R? How high into the powerband do I need to go on the I4 to keep the 600R happy? Any thoughts and comparisions about these bikes are welcome.

#2 · (Edited)
You might want try the riding position on the naked, as I think it might suit your needs more. Also suggest you go to SVrider.com and do a search on this (SV vs 600ss).

I ride a 2000 SV650 naked and I love it, even if I do occasionally scrape my boots due to the lower peg position.

For a track bike, I would definately go with the 650s because of the rear-sets and clip-ons. I'm too old to ride in a true sporting position for more than a couple of hours, but lots of people tour on the SV650s and like it.

For me, it boils down to the engines. I just prefer V twins.

P.S.: If you weigh more than 150, you will definately want to upgrade the suspension on the SV. Suzuki cut costs there to keep the price low.

P.P.S: I never carry passengers on my SV. Personally, I'd prefer a larger, more touring-oriented bike for 2-up riding.

#4 ·
I like the 600R personally. Its an extremely comfortable bike. It does lag a little performance wise from the SV but is much more comfortable in my opinion. It should do pretty well with a passenger to since your seated alot like you would be on a cruiser. The upkeep on a 4 stroke is going to be a bit more than the 2 stroke, since there are twice as many cylinders. I wouldn't worry about keeping it in range while cruising on I4. I cruise with my 750R at between 3 and 4k with out problems, and I would assume the 600R would be the same. Happy hunting

Sepias

#6 ·
cookeetree said:
**OFF-TOPIC**

Bah, you need to have a chat with Smitty; 75yo and owns THREE sportbikes!
I learned my lesson a couple of years back when I rode my brother-in-law's TL1000s on a 5 hour round trip. I was OK for about 3 hours, then moderately uncomfortable for a little over an hour. The last 45 minutes was torture. I got back on the straight roads and found out how fast a TL is - or more accurately - how fast I was willing to ride it in public. I swore never again.

#7 · (Edited)
SepiasSoul said:
I like the 600R personally. Its an extremely comfortable bike. It does lag a little performance wise from the SV but is much more comfortable in my opinion. It should do pretty well with a passenger to since your seated alot like you would be on a cruiser. The upkeep on a 4 stroke is going to be a bit more than the 2 stroke, since there are twice as many cylinders. I wouldn't worry about keeping it in range while cruising on I4. I cruise with my 750R at between 3 and 4k with out problems, and I would assume the 600R would be the same. Happy hunting

Sepias
:p Come on bro, keep up. All street-legal motorcycles are 4 strokes. 2 strokes are reserved for track use only now. SV650 is a V-twin, 2 cylinders, but still 4-strokes.

Anyway, the SV handles much better than 600R, and depending on naked model and personal erogonomics preference, they both can be equally comfortable for touring. 600R is much faster at top end for being a I4, but for most intents and purpose, SV is still fast, and that usuable torque is really fun. 600R is still the same, but has to be revved higher. Both bikes are good, but the SV is very narrow and easy on the kness like a bicycle, and again, handles just as well 06 600s. So it's all about what you're looking for. As far as maintenance and reliability goes, both are equally stress-free to own (in most case).

#8 · (Edited)
The pillion riding position is up to you & the pillion rider. I have not had anyone riding pillion since way back in mid-50s.

The 600r of which I have had since '97 are with pre-load, compression & rebound which is not on the SV-650 or some of the other bikes like the Yamaha F-6, Kwacker 650 & some others. After all very few know how to work on the above, so really a saveing if not on the others. Still I know how so I appreicate it.

Advantage of the 600R is that is was with the best mid-range power plant on the market in '97 & the following years. Also with super stopping power that was copied by the later model Yamaha bikes.

I was out with mine to-day for some 6+ hrs up in these basically two lane Cdn Rockie Mtns & though speed limits are 80 to 100kph--50 to 60mph the bike was often clocking 140 to 180kph--95-110mph. The bike can often be down to 3 grand & still pulling well (though not ideal in 2nd gear for that is around 15mph---school zone speeds) though often 4 to 5 grand in any gear & it is enjoying the run. Not the peaky engine of most 600s. Mind you I was out for a 6 hr spin of basically the same on thursday & just some 3 or 4 days previously. Yes the bike get used & is also used for grunt (short) runs around town or to Penticton city just 40 miles there & back ------I do not use the other two bikes for grunt runs or something in town or such.

To me the saddle is a bit to soft while the saddles on the Honda 929 & 954, that most say "more like a plank", so possibly I like the harder saddles from past experience.

Pretty decent fairing coverage to the rider as it spreads out more then most 600s.

I leave the bike stock, meaning stock exhaust system, & all I have done is feed it petrol, oil, tyres, sprockets, chains & my insurance---------that is all it asks. ALSO a far better 600 then most others when it comes to MPG & definately far better then my Honda 929 & 954.

True the 600r will lack the top speed of more modern 600s, but then it is a trouble free bike, does not need high rev shifting & such.

#12 ·
600R vs. SV650

I have owned 3 YZF600R's and an SV650. Both are fun and dependable, but for the money the YZF600R has it beat. Good wind protection, comfy ergos (specially for two up) and great fully adjustable suspension, awesome brakes...I am sure yzf600r.com people will agree. It is a real do it all bike, can handle 5 hour rides, commutes, or track days up to a 80-90% pace!

The SV is the mother of all fun bikes. Not as well appointed for the pillion passenger, and all the refinement you get from the fuel injection is lost on budget brakes and suspension. Forks and Shock are definitely not for hi mileage riding. Plan on $2k in upgrades to make it a real screamer. HOWever...move up to the SV1000 and you get all that refinement stock plus more horses!!!

#14 ·
I should probally clarify a little bit......
I am not going to be running this bike for track days (I don't do track days). I am looking for something that is going to be a lot of fun to ride. The reason I asked about riding 2 up is my girl likes to go out on the bike and cruise around with me. I alos am not going to be running the bike at its very top end..... meaning that it only has a top speed of 130mph or it takes 6 seconds to reach that speed (etc...). I basically am just looking for an all around fun, reliable, and somewhat comfortable bike.

#15 ·
aaahhh

I have two up experience on both (from the front seat) and my wife was much happier on the YZF. It has a flat, roomier seat, side grab handles, and adjustable suspension will be a big plus in smoothing out the ride for her. The SV rear grab handle is awkward for a passenger and it's shock is pre load adjustable for the extra weight but has no damping adjustments to smooth it all out.

The only plus signs for the SV would be smoother clutch engagement with the twin and the seat material is a little grippier to prevent unecessary sliding.

Good luck deciding and ride safe!!! There is nothing like cruising the highways and lake roads with your beloved wrapping her arms around you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.