Can somebody throw me a bone here? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Can somebody throw me a bone here?

I've been an on-again off-again lurker at this site for some time. I got the sportbike bug a while back and haven't been able to shake it. Neither have I been able to get my wife to stop threatening to divorce me right after she repeatedly slashes my tires if I buy a sportbike. I am wondering if I could prevail on one of you generous sportbike riders to help me out here. All I would ask is if you could spare an hour or so of your time to teach me some riding basics and let me ride your bike around a nice empty parking lot for a few minutes. I know this is asking a lot since you all have lives and tons of other demands on your time, but I'm hoping one of you will take pity on me. Hopefully this will help me get the sportbike bug out of my system. Hey, it could happen. It worked with Nascar. I took a ride along with the Richard Petty Driving Experience and now I'm not a total psycho to get behind the wheel of a race car. It was cool, but now I'm not quite so single minded about it. Anyway, thanks for reading.

P.S. I live in the Kansas City area, north of the river.

I'm getting the hang of surviving, now I want to LIVE!

Last edited by maxwell24fan; 05-15-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 07:29 PM

A couple of problems with your plan:

1. Once you learn to ride, the "fever" will never leave your body.
2. Very few (if any) people let someone else ride a borrowed bike the way they let someone try out their car. (You can't drop a car)
3. "An hour or so" of teaching won't be enough time to become a safe rider.

Here's a better idea:

1. Schedule to take the MSF basic rider course.
2. While waiting to take the class, read some of the books members of the board have suggested here.
3. Explain to your wife how expensive sportbike tires are and she won't want to slash them.

"Take it to the track"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Dad

Good suggestion on the safety class. Even better would be to get her to go with you and take it. She may even get the bug herself but at least might realize that there are differences in how a bike is operated that dramatically effect rider safety. It can also help her to be a better passenger in the event that she may consider getting on with you if not riding her own. I'm sure she could also attend the class without actually riding a bike, passing on that part if it bugs her to do so. She would still get the sense of what it's about and that there is a right and wrong way to do it.

If that doesn't work, consider telling her to stop doing whatever it is that floats her boat. "From now on, give me the shopping list. I'll go to the store and I'll also decide if that's what is needed". Good luck.

BTW, I have an appointment with my divorce attorney on Monday.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 05-15-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode