Tire Installation - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to modette Send a message via Yahoo to modette
Question Tire Installation

Need to get some tires installed and the rims are in the trunk of the car...anyone have any good places I should go after work to get the new ones put on???

I'll pay $50 per tire to be installed and balanced...but cheaper the better because I know it is all about 15 mins work if that for them...I'm had them done in 5 mins for one tire before...lol

Guess I will call around now and see what places have to say.

~Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.fz1oa.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

I called a few places.

Phil's Cycle Shop
1426 Cresent Lake Rd.
Waterford, MI
248-673-6247
$38 per Install/Balance Wheel.

Pilgrim Motorsports
260 Ann Arbor Rd W
Plymouth, MI
734-451-7200
$67.50 Total...I forgot to ask if that was balanced...I bet it was not.

Kensington Motorsports
(I hate these guys but this is what they wanted last week)
$68 each

Rockys
Located in Flint
$40 each

So I am going to Phil's. Above prices were on bring in rims and tires...seeing as I already had them. I paid $208 for two tires BT020 (sent me BT010) that was about as much as some dealers wanted for the rear alone ($167). So I will stick to mail ordering the tires. I got them from discoutmotorcycletires.com

~Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.fz1oa.com

Last edited by modette; 10-03-2002 at 06:53 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 01:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to GixxerChris
Try:
Recreational Leisure Corp.
31506 Grand River
Farmington, MI 48336
(248)477-0212

It's on the north side of Grand River just past Orchard Lake (I think it's Orchard Lake)

I forgot how much they quoted me, but it was better than those prices, especially if you carry the wheels in to have them done. If you want to ride in and have em done, they only do it on Thursdays and you have to call to make an appointment.

Live Life, Don't Just Merely Exist In It

for the military affiliated peeps:
www.homelandsportbikes.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 06:25 AM

Modette,

Stay away from Pilgrim..I've heard nothing but bad things about them, and the one experience I have had wasn't too good.

$67 bucks is a bit high, for not having to remove the wheels. Heck my dealer (Michigan Powersports) charges $65 per tire and that's with the rims mounted on the bike. You sure you told them that they didn't need to mount the rims?

GixxerChris, I'm long time friends with the owner of Rec Liesure (the son, not the dad), and I didn't know they mounted tires. I'll have to give Glenn some grief about that!

Good luck, Modette.

Dave "Rat"

'01 Ninja ZX-9R Fully Muzzys w/ Ti can, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N air filter.

'94 Suzuki Katana 600 (Sold)
'81 (?) Kawi GPz 550 (MIA-RIP?)
'73 Honda CB350 (RIP)

--Gravity Sucks!!
--Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to GixxerChris
Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaRat
Modette,

Stay away from Pilgrim..I've heard nothing but bad things about them, and the one experience I have had wasn't too good.

$67 bucks is a bit high, for not having to remove the wheels. Heck my dealer (Michigan Powersports) charges $65 per tire and that's with the rims mounted on the bike. You sure you told them that they didn't need to mount the rims?

GixxerChris, I'm long time friends with the owner of Rec Liesure (the son, not the dad), and I didn't know they mounted tires. I'll have to give Glenn some grief about that!

Good luck, Modette.
When I was there about 2 weeks ago asking for prices on tires and one of the guys (don't remebmer which) said they have a guy who mounts tires for riding in on Thursdays. As for carry in, he made it sound like an anytime during business hrs.

Live Life, Don't Just Merely Exist In It

for the military affiliated peeps:
www.homelandsportbikes.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I ended up going to "Phil's Cycle Shop " it was easy to find and the price seemed good. It was actually $33 per wheel mount and balance...so the total was $66.

One odd part was when I went to pickup the rims they had the old tires sitting there and I said am I suppose to take these and he said "yeah you did not buy tires from me"...lol I thought it was odd as I would of been happy to give $5 more for a desposal fee...lol Oh, well I will deposit them in a garbage bag and give to the garbage man on Thursday and if they for some reason do not take them I will do a midnight deposit at a dumpster.

Besides that Phils was great and got them done right away, said they will do them while you wait if you get there early in the day...I got there kind of late so I just picked them up the next day, no biggy.

~Mark

www.fz1oa.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 09:55 AM

i can vouch for the great work Phil does over at his shop. I've taken plenty of older bikes (honda 350s mostly) to him for repair/questions/help and he's come through 100% of the time. He's a great guy.

-=bmacd=-

[ MSN:
] - [ AIM: bmacd95b ] - [ Yahoo: bmacd95b ] - [ ICQ: 5684613 ] - [
] - [
]

Last edited by bmacd; 02-05-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode