Another SE Ohio ride - some Sunday soon!?! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to BamBam Send a message via Yahoo to BamBam
Another SE Ohio ride - some Sunday soon!?!

Anyone interested in a longish ride around the Southeast Ohio twisties one Sunday. I've ridden most of these roads listed here before and highly recommend this route if you're up for a six to eight hour blast... There are one or two short non-twisty sections in this route but I have labelled them with warnings for your protection.

The starting point is definitely OPEN to negotiation - so please pipe up with suggestions.

Proposed route (with three variations):

1. Meet near Millersburg, Ohio at 09.30 AM Junction of 39 and 83. Or some location nearer to central for interested riders.
2. Gather and chat for a bit then depart 10.00
3. Dive South on 83 (getting twistier)
4. Keep going south toward Coshocton on 83 (very curvy)
5. Pick up 93 south toward Zanesville (twisty).
6. Pick our way through Zanesville and south on route 60 (*Yawn*)
7. Pick up 555 and have way too much fun for 30 minutes or so down to route 550 (Bartlett).
8. Stop at Bartlett for a Dr Peppers & decide whether to carry on going south on 555 or head east for Marietta...

Plan A. The Little Loop
9. Turn left and ride across country east on 550 to Marietta and then pick up 26 north (twisty).
10. Up 26 and pick up 800 and keep going north to junction of 22 (twisty).
11. West on 22 toward Zanesville but turn north onto rt 83 before we get there (slightly bendy with a mile or two of tedious straights *Yawn*).
12. 83 all the way back to the starting point (junction of 39 near Millersburg) (twisty).

Plan B. Down and Up Again.
9. Keep riding south on 555 to Redbush (twisty).
10. Turn around and ride straight back north up to Zanesville on 555 retracing our route back to the starting point. (twisty)

Plan C. The Big Loop.
9. Keep riding south on 555 to Redbush (twisty).
10. Hop onto I-50 & SR-7(*Yawn*) for a cruise northeast up to Marietta (about 20 miles).
11. In Marietta, ride up 26 north (twisty).
12. Pick up 800 and keep going north to junction of 22 (twisty).
13. West on 22 toward Zanesville but turn north onto rt 83 before we get there (slightly bendy with a mile or two of tedious straights *Yawn*).
14. 83 all the way back to the starting point (junction of 39 near Millersburg) (twisty).

Phewwwww...

Anybody interested? Let me know your preferences as to when this group ride could go. I'm thinking Sunday Sept 23 or soon after. It could be a real fun day out.

I'm going to be posting this on www.sportbikes.net, Localriders.com, MidwestMotorcycleEnthusiasts and some of the local rider mailing lists also (Cleveland RPM, SWOSB and NEOSB)... see if I can rustle up a few riders..

If you're into it - jump in! I'll be monitoring the various bulletin boards and mailing lists but you can also email me direct if you want - [email protected]

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

I live in fear of not being misunderstood. ~ Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:59 AM

Someone else lives and rides out of Bolivar?

We have lifetime friends in Bolivar, the Williamsons, Mark and Greg, Mark rode a VFR for awhile (now sold it) and both rode dirt bikes forever. They live right off 212 there in Bolivar. Anyway, I've been looking for good roads myself, and seems most are in SE ohio around Marietta area and the whole eastern side along WV. I bought a county map and have been 'researchin'. I live in Dayton, but maybe I could meet you on your journey south and jump in and ride with you. I have ridden 555 from around Portersville south to the KY border. Extremely twisty and lots of elevation changes and blind curves, some completely unmarked - YIKES! When I was on it several years ago, it was gravelly and poorly maintained, but could be fixed by now. I have a track day scheduled for Sept. 30, so that weekend (23rd) I'll surely be prepping my bike for a day a fun at Putnam Park road course. I could go after that, in October, or maybe next year, if we run out of time and weather. I'll keep checking back myself. Anyway, glad to hear from someone else in Bolivar. Take care, ride safe.

Last edited by Scootter; 09-06-2001 at 05:39 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 02:05 PM
Resident Smartass

555 is still pretty rough, a lot of people hate it. 800, 260, 676 are the best around there. WV 16 is great if you want to go a bit farther.
I'm getting my VTR worked on, if it's ready in time I'm free for a ride this sunday.

Suck mean people!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
555 is still pretty rough, a lot of people hate it. 800, 260, 676 are the best around there. WV 16 is great if you want to go a bit farther.
I'm getting my VTR worked on, if it's ready in time I'm free for a ride this sunday.
I was there about six weeks ago and the road surface was very good - three right handers had gravel on the inside but other than that it was perfect. This is the first time I've heard anything anything negative at all about that road.

800 is a great road I'll admit but not really the same intensity as 555.

You've got me curious now about the other two roads - 260 and 676. I'll have to try them out - any suggestions as to which parts are best?

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 05:21 PM
Resident Smartass

676 and 260 are both fairly short, good all the way. 676 gets fairly populated close to Marietta, but wide open rural the rest of the way. My usual route from Columbus is 23S to 22/56S to 278E to 33S to 550E to 555N to 676E to Marietta-lunch-gas then 26N to 260E to 7N to 800W. The route home depends on how late it is...

Suck mean people!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 09:46 PM
Dad

I could probably do that. Keep posting. Any idea of total miles?

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
I could probably do that. Keep posting. Any idea of total miles?
The Millersburg - Zanesville - Redbush - Marietta loop will be about 350 - 400 miles I reckon.

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:37 AM

Smile

Hope this thread stays open for awhile, I would like to hook up with you guys and ride sometime. Especially like to check out these roads.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:48 PM
Resident Smartass

My mechanic just emailed me to say my VTR is operational. Sooo... who wants to do this thing this Sunday? If Scooter and BamBam are coming, that would make Columbus a fairly central meeting point (works out for me). Actually, a common starting point for locals is Pickerington- right off 70 just past 270 E of Columbus. I propose departing from the Cracker Barrel in Pickerington at 9:30 (come at 8:30-8:45 to eat if desired).

Suck mean people!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
My mechanic just emailed me to say my VTR is operational. Sooo... who wants to do this thing this Sunday? If Scooter and BamBam are coming, that would make Columbus a fairly central meeting point (works out for me). Actually, a common starting point for locals is Pickerington- right off 70 just past 270 E of Columbus. I propose departing from the Cracker Barrel in Pickerington at 9:30 (come at 8:30-8:45 to eat if desired).
Thanks Tristan but I really can't do it this weekend. Next weekend is the Shawnee shindig and the following weekend is the big ride starting from Millersburg.

Good luck.

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode