Sportbike World banner

85 zx6r info

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Coleman3000 
#1 ·
Hey I was wondering if you guys could drop some knowledge on me about the 85 zx600r.. I just bought one. I am a new rider and i am just trying to learn all i can about it. So any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has any tips about lubing / adjusting the throttle cable that would be greatly appreciate because mine is quite sticky..

#2 ·
Ninja 600R

I had the same bike many years ago, it was a 1986 Ninja 600R, but it's exactly the same bike as your 85. 1985 was the first year of the Ninja 600.

I know a lot about the bike, not sure what you want to know.

Here's some basics:

63 rear wheel horsepower, runs 11.9-12.2's in the quarter mile, top speed is 130-135mph. Bike has a wet weight of 482 lbs.

I put over 40,000 trouble free miles on mine. The bike NEVER broke down, not even for minor things. The engine/transmission on that bike is virtually bulletproof. Very reliable bike.

Lubing the cables should be fairly straightfoward. I would just spray some WD40 down in there on mine.

Aside from it being a bit on the heavy side, it should make for a great beginner bike. Welcome, and best of luck to you!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info man. It seems like a good bike. The guy who sold it to me has ridden it for the last year trouble free.

The day after i got it i met with some gravel, across the street from my driveway. Real stupid little slip up, quite sobering though. The worst part about it is the shifter foot knob broke off so i have to wait for the previous owner to find his spare. Anyway its driving me crazy not being able to get out around my neighborhood and learn from my mistakes.

Also with lubing the cable do I have to take off both ends of the cable? Like remove the gastank and such? Or can i just take off the end near the throttle. Also is there a way to adjust the tension on the throttle? I have read other threads about it but i want to know if i can do that on this bike..

#4 ·
Cable lubing

To be honest, it's been quite a few years since I had that bike, and I don't remember having to lube the cables very often at all. But then, my bike was almost always garaged, so the cables never really got much moisture down in them.

Anyway, as I recall, I only bothered taking things apart from the throttle end. Never had to take the tank off for it.

Don't remember ever having to adjust the throttle tension on that bike either. But on my ZX-11, it's pretty easy. Just loosen a nut right under the throttle grip, get the tension out, and tighten back up.

Sorry I wasn't more help on this.

Good luck on getting that shift lever replaced!

#5 ·
okay thanks, the throttle is pretty darn sticky. It is distracting when riding so i definitly want to eliminate that. I guess im off to spray WD40 down that cable.

Its driving me nuts not being able to ride it. The damn owner just needs to go in his garage and find his spare. I took the old one off in like 10 seconds....

#6 ·
here is a little update for those 100s of people that checked out this thread.....

Anyway, got the bike fixed this last weekend. Been puttin around my neighborhood and also cruised some country roads on it. Im loving it, but i still have a ton to learn.. Anyway i uploaded some pics of it so i thought i would drop em in here.. check em out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.