Sportbike World banner

Beginner bike is toast

4K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Angrypenguin 
#1 ·
Well, I finally had a pretty serious crash.

This past week I was riding to work one morning at around 7a. I'd checked all the local and national weather TV radars, forecasts and the like and there was no sign of water or temperature hazards so I opted to ride off to work.

Having gotten 3/4 the way to work, I turned off a state route onto a back road. This intersection is in a small town and about a mile out it winds up a hill with three fun but pretty wide turns. Posted 45 for cars, safe for bikes easily at 65. As I headed up at my usual speed, half way through the second turn I felt BOTH tires start to go out from underneath me. It seemed my options were two:
1) Give it more gas and push more, hoping for a re-grip instead of a low side.
2) Give it the same or slightly less gas and try to straighten out for better grip.

I opted for 2) for a couple of reasons. The upcoming front yard had a variety of very dangerous antique farm equipment on it. Additionally, there was a deep culvert and the concept of sliding personally at a high rate of speed into it didn't appeal to me.

Well, I had hoped to keep the bike along the edge and just minimize the turn radius. Didn't happen, of course.

So, I went off, down the culvert (which was concrete at the bottom), back up, and launched over the gravel driveway that was perpendicular to the culvert. I believe it was at this point I separated from the bike.

I tumbled a bunch and came to rest in the front lawn of a house. As I stood up, I saw the male owner come out (retirement age) and a pickup truck pull into the driveway, both staring at me. The p/u driver had saucer eyes and a gaping mouth. I presume he was shocked that I wasn't only alive but walking toward them, ripping off my gloves and helmet.

I declined an ambulance and sherriff after taking personal stock and realizing I only had a cut in my left hand and a lightly sprained right ankle. The driver left and the owner asked me in where he and his wife entertained me until my wife picked me up.

My race boots' plastic vertebrae saved my ankle from serious injury. Jacket and pants saved my skin, most definitely. Helmet's shot but did its job. My head was completely unscathed and didn't hurt a bit. Thanks Shoei! Gloves got a mysterious cut in them that's straight, short and looks like a razor had done it, yet my snowboard gloves (for water wicking) underneath were NOT cut. This still bugs me.

The root cause is my failure to follow a personal Golden Rule: don't ride tired. I simply didn't have focus to note that when I turned off the state route that the pavement was moist. On the hill, it was VERY wet. My wife noted these things when she came to pick me up, so my failure to recongize a change in environment was ultimately the cause of my crash. I'd certainly appreciate constructive criticism about how I should've handled a two wheel slide, though. There's always room to learn, esp when you've been tossed so far. I estimate distance of my off-road experience at about 100-150 yards.

The bike was $1k when I bought it and I've just got too many things going on to even consider rebuilding her.

As for continuing to ride, my heart's screaming to get back on, but I promised to allow my brain to mull ALL the options over the next six months, which is probably the soonest I'd have funds for a new ride anyway.

My best to all and when my workloads decline I'll see you about more frequently.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Mrs. e-mailed us some pictures....looks like the bike is pretty thoroughly toasted. Glad to hear you escaped relatively unscathed! Come on over sometime and we can sit in my garage and make fun of my Buell. :laughing:

#4 ·
Kanwisch:
Glad to hear you are ok, but sorry about the bike. Its moments like this that make you really love your gear right?
Two wheel slides are tricky. You really gotta pay attention to where the line of your bike (between the front and the rear wheel) is in comparson to the line of the turn you are trying to take. If the two arent parallel by more then 15deg, you are in serious danger of a highside. In which case, you really dont want to be chopping the throttle. Its better to lowside a bike than highside it, as I'm sure you already know. Aside from intentionally lowsiding your bike, your options are limited. What you want to do, is regain traction with your front wheel, but keep the rear sliding. Pull the bike up just a tad, and turn the bars in the direction of the slide, like you were drifting a car. When the front tire catches traction, the bike will jerk, and at 65 that might be enough to throw you off. after the front wheel cought, keep the rear slipping and you bring the bike up, dont chop it couse that will high side you for sure. Of course you also gotta have enough road for this manuver. hope that helps

Again glad you are ok.

#5 ·
My first bike 18 years ago was a 86 interceptor 500. I layed that thing down more times then you can shake a stick at, but only one was major. It kept on going though, would love to have one now to play around with.

Anyway it sounds like you did everything you could to save it. You just hit a wet curve to hot. I would of taken the same actions, get the bike as verticle as possible for traction while trying to stay on the road. You might of been able to of given it more gas and spun the rear around to take the turn until you gathered traction, but that opens you up to even more danger including a possible high side.

Sounds like a lessoned learned and you came out of it pretty well. You now know first hand the importance of gear. Spend the fall and winter looking for a good deal on another bike and replacing any of your gear that needs it then get back out there.

I hate to say it, but a possible wreck is just part of our sport/hobby. If you arent willing to wreck then dont ride. And if you do wreck, accept it and move on. You will learn more from 1 wreck then 5k miles of riding.

#6 ·
Hi kanwisch-

Sorry to hear about your accident and your classic Honda Interceptor getting ruined. You'll probably experience some pretty significant body aches, if it hasn't happened already.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and I hope you're able to consider getting that bike rebuilt since it's such a cool old ride that you'll come to love more and more as the years pass...

~ Blue Jays ~

#7 ·
Don't know where you live but I have an '84 or '85 Interceptor 500. Since I would like to help you get back on and riding again I could let it go for $250. It got parked about 4 years ago when I went into the marines, it ran and had a new rear tire and chain and sprockets, seat was redone. Then you would have a part's bike too. Glad your ok, I just had a minor wreck and shattered my wrist, so your lucky from a major spill to come out so good.

#10 ·
Hey kanwisch, glad to hear youre ok. I cant give you any good feedback cause ive never gone into a two wheeled slide on wet roads, but just the fact that you can remember actually weighing options and making a decision in that situation is proof that you are a skilled rider, sounds like you did the best you could have. I have gone into one wheel slides, front and rear and have always backed of and straightened up a bit to regain traction, luckily always had enough road to recover. Props man, thats experience you now have that alot of us dont, sucks that you crashed but rest assured your a better rider now than before it happened, experience is worth a thousand miles, and a billion posts. Keep riding, youve been on the board for a long time and those of us that are used to seeing youre post will miss them.

#12 ·
what's the best way to handle a one wheel slide, which are probably more common right?

I've noticed twice now during a turn my rear wheel stepping out just a little bit, like a small amount of drift (not sure if this is due to too much throttle or maybe a manhole cover or something slippery). I've just continued the turn and it seems to straighten out on its own--is this normal?

#14 ·
Kanwisch: Sorry to read this bit & like cookee you will probably feel new pains here & there in the next few days.

Like others I hope to not only see you on this board, but to hear about the bike you have purchased somewhere down the road.

Still glad you pointed out how your riding gear saved you in so many ways.

#15 ·
ESanders2 said:
what's the best way to handle a one wheel slide, which are probably more common right?
If you're in a turn, the rules Keith Code lays down suggest you need more traction on the rear (presuming that's what's slipping). So, instead of getting off of it, you put a bit more on to add some weight to the rear suspension. It actually assists in grip and stability. If you're in a front wheel slide on a turn, you're probably accelerating too much in it. Gaining traction with the wheel of interest is absolutely key.

As another aside, I'm used to slight slides in turns around here because of the gravel that gets tossed on the roads by inattentive cagers. I typically ignore one wheel slides in turns because they're always gravel and do, in fact, heal themselves as soon as you clear the gravel. Not panicking takes some practice.

#16 ·
Thanks all for the well-wishes. I'm particularly surprised at the number who recall the old darlin'. She's off to be rebuilt (and owned) by an expert in the model who lives pretty close to me, I think. No time or space for me to fool with repairs on her any longer. She'll always be my first beeyotch who'd take a beating and keep on coming back for more :D

And I'm not dropping this site by any stretch. The spicerxx clan and ours like to keep up together and this is still a fun place to hang. Besides, as I've noted, I have not sworn off riding. Just taking a breather to properly weigh what I want to do next. Some possibilities that have already presented themselves (in no particular order):
go track only
re-take the MSF or the advanced
get private lessons from some racers I know
stop riding altogether
get a new bike and just move on

Jury will be out until March at least.

EDIT: As I'm a lover of pics from others, its time for me to give back. I'll put up a bunch for all to see. If I don't like the ones of the farm equip, I'll repost them so everyone can say to themselves, "Damn! Good thing you missed those!"

#17 ·
mstrand_68 said:
Don't know where you live but I have an '84 or '85 Interceptor 500. Since I would like to help you get back on and riding again I could let it go for $250
That's one heck of a deal on a bike, especially one in running condition! I don't know how kanwish feels about hauling it all the way to Indiana, though...

kanwish, I'm delighted to see you get out of the crash in a condition that allows you to report for yourself :thumb:

Your story reminds me that I should consider my next vehicle purchase to be a pickup truck, rather than another motorcycle. Somehow I managed to go from 0 to 4 in a period of two years, yet not a vehicle to carry any of them if they become incapacitated. I wonder sometimes what I would do with my bike if it crashed and was not in ridable condition (provided I were conscious enough to be concerned at the time). I sure hope to get at least some kind of trailer before something like that happens. We will amost certainly buy a dirtbike for our boys come spring, which will naturally require a trailer or a pickup. I just need to stay upright until then. Actually, I would prefer much longer than that ;)

#19 ·
First pic. Note the antique farm implement in the background. Not bad for camera phone quality, IMHO.

She doesn't really look that bad considering....

The culvert I went down into at about 65mph and the gravel road I jumped. Note the pic is deceiving b/c the culverts about 6' lower than the road :eek:

The only torn piece of gear, which is still a mystery as to cause.

Before I hauled her off.

Thanks for those thoughts on dealing with the situation.

For the weather question, MSF was quite clear (and correct) about the danger of riding when its just begun raining (oil and water don't mix). To top that off, going into the turn at dry-weather speed when the ground (in reality) was wet was bad. I HATE rain and water, period.

If I were closer to the offer ceppy, I'd take a look and think about it. But I'm really ready to move on. The ceppy is VERY heavy and the wife doesn't like its reliability, weight, and shifting. And she's licensed. So getting another is probably way out of the question.

Veektor, a trailer was the best buy we've made in at least a couple of years. Trucks force you to have crappy gas mileage ALL the time, so get a good little car, put on a 4x8 trailer and a Class I hitch and nearly all your needs will be met :2cents:

#20 ·
Kanwish, Sorry to hear of your circumstances. I have not been a member of this site for very long, but I can tell you that I have found your posts as well as other members posts to be insightful & instumental in aiding me to be a better rider. Thanks:thumb: & speedy recovery.

#21 ·
kanwisch said:
First pic. Note the antique farm implement in the background.
That looks like an ancient torture device :eek: You are lucky not to have engaged it.

It's really a bummer to see the bike in pictured condition. I hope you get yourself back in the saddle in time for next spring. And get a bike that's made for grown ups, for crying out loud! :twofinger

Veektor, a trailer was the best buy we've made in at least a couple of years. Trucks force you to have crappy gas mileage ALL the time, so get a good little car, put on a 4x8 trailer and a Class I hitch and nearly all your needs will be met :2cents:
I agree about the trailer. We've already implemented a hitch on our Toyota Sienna minivan for a vacation one time, when we borrowed my friend's trailer. It's cheaper and more efficient on many levels. That's probably what we will end up doing.

Oh, and "good little car" is not an option when you have 4 kids. It's minivan or bust!

#22 ·
kanwisch said:
...Note the antique farm implement in the background...

...The only torn piece of gear, which is still a mystery as to cause...

...Trucks force you to have crappy gas mileage ALL the time, so get a good little car, put on a 4x8 trailer
Sh*t, mate, those plow discs would've done some damage if you'd made it that far!!

Is it possible that you tore your glove on the bike somewhere?

I agree with the trailer comment, but an 8' x 4' isn't necessary. I've got a 5' x 4' trailer I can mount a channel into to carry my bike. Only used it once, but it made life easy. The smaller size trailer is easier for it's general use, carting garden waste to the dump.

#23 ·
wow kanwisch those things would have HURT! It would have been a whole new dimention of tetanus infested pain. Hurts just to think about it.

As for the trailers, I'd love one, but I cant see going without a truck.. maybe I'm becoming texanized...

#24 ·
Gear is where its at

Been quite a couple of weeks for the family.

To reinforce the concept of gear I thought I'd share that my cousin out in CA also got into a bike-totaling accident recently at a high rate of speed when trying to run over (well, not intentionally) some roadkill in a tight, fast turn.

He indicates he had only one injury: he "sprained the entire right side of his body" :laughing: No road rash, no broken bones, no facial or head injuries.

His partner, also fully geared, crashed as a result and walked away with only a sprained thumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.