Sportbike World banner

to people who learned on a 600

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Z_Fanatic 
#1 ·
I know this isn't the ideal route. I dont think I will try to learn on a 600.. but maybe.. Basically I'm just looking for info from people who learned on the R6 or gsxr

That's all.

#3 ·
A good grasp, after just 1 week..? Not to be a jerk....but 1 week isn't long enough to get any sort of a grasp on what riding is about, what it intails, and what can happen and how fast...

For your sake, I hope things go well for you...I'll just say that Learning to ride on a bike with 100+ hp, isn't the best way to go about it...

If you do a search in the new Riders Forum..you'll fond TON's of discussions re this subject..and some fairl heated debates to..:D

I believe you'll find that the guys, and gals, who have years, and 10's of thousands of miles logged, will tell ya that a smaller bike, i.e. 250, 500 ninja type bikes are way better to learn on..and yep, we've heard ALL the excuses for why you'd rather have a sportbike...LOOKS..and possibly peer pressure...that's it..

If you Really want to learn how to Really ride, a smaller bike is the Hot Ticket..:thumb:

#4 ·
take with a grain of salt...

So here is my advice coming to you after one day and 140 miles on my new and first bike. I chose a '06 yzf600r for my first bike, breaking two rules; new bike and its 600cc. That being said I feel it was surely a better choice than an r6 or gsxr and only a somewhat more dangerous pick that an sv650. The power is smooth for an inline 4 and it feels very stable for a sport bike.

The biggest downside to a 600cc I think... is that it is very tempting to use all of the bikes power right away. But I'm pretty responsible and I think it's going to work out very well.

If you get a 600 which I will very hypocritically say is a bad idea make sure you take the course which I found suprisingly helpful despite never reaching any high speeds. I'm also taking a track course when my bike is broken in.

I'm tired and not sure if this makes sense, but don't buy a 600 and tell yourself you made a wise decision :)

#5 ·
I started on an old 600.... and had an absolutely excellent learning experience. I've ridden many, many new bikes, and all the "big" models over the past few years and still prefer mine for simple ease of use.

Great to learn on, and still prefered for daily use and trips - there's a glowing endorsement for learning on an older bike. I even plan on keeping it in the future when I decide to park something newer in the garage.

#6 ·
Hammer 4 said:
A good grasp, after just 1 week..? Not to be a jerk....but 1 week isn't long enough to get any sort of a grasp on what riding is about, what it intails, and what can happen and how fast...

+1

I grew up riding dirtbikes, 3 wheelers, and 4 wheelers... I got my first bike when I was 4. I got my first streetbike 3 years ago... a 2003 ZX-6R. I consider myself a good rider, but I still learn something new every time I ride. I think it is VERY safe to assume that you have a long way to go. But, that is what riding is all about... learning.

As for learning on a 600.... It can be done. Keep your RPM's low and NEVER twist the throttle fully open. You will be fine.

#7 ·
I started on a 750 standard. To me the danger isnt the CC's but the agressive geometry. the FZR for example is made for street, so it seems like a fine starter bike to me. The R6, is a whole different story.

#8 · (Edited)
nothing is easy to throw into a corner and then just crack throttle than 600s (I'm sure Vash could correct me on this:D). it'll automaticly "falls" in an incline corner, just increase the throttle to increase the lean. only downside is when you're slowing down, careful not to run wide. and watch out for road kills and debris in a blind turn, they're not so compliant when it goes over it as a cruiser would.

this is FZR600 -

it beat CBR F1 Hurricane in racing, later it became down on power but was still more flickable than early yzf600r. it relegated to newb bike now like the F2s and F3s only because it's down on power. suspension is squishy on front and hard on rear. decent low-end, no midrange, but very peaky. good brakes, 460lbs wet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.