Sportbike World banner

New Rider

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  mike_drz 
#1 ·
I just bought a 05 gixxer 600, it is my first time ever to ride i do not yet have my license but i want to ride to work with it to get the hang of it. Should i be worried of a ticket?

#2 ·
Why wouldn't you just go and write the written test that takes a few minutes (I assume you guys have that)...and reduce your ticket to just "riding without insurance" -> it should save you a few hundred bucks. Or better yet, call an insurance company and get the paper work tommorrow right after your done your written test. And you should be able to ride legaly after a few hours and after your rode everywhere to get it done legaly. :)

#4 ·
May I be so bold to ask if you have taken the MSF Course? If not & this is so new to you then good chance you will be writing off your bike & self & a costly expense & hopefully the bike is only totalled & you are not.

Believe me riding a m/c is SO different to driving a car especially with the bomb you have bought. We look upon most hot trotting 600 sportbikes as 2nd step from a season on a benners bike, if you learn fast, or possibly the third step.

These bikes were NOT made for causual riding around the town & on the various roads but more in line with some of the top club road racing as then are the next thing to actual road racing bikes.

#6 ·
I have ridden it for several days now taking it extremely careful. I am not a huge risk taking person i drive down back roads and avoid twaffic as much as possible i am aware of the power of this bike put it seems very managable, especially at low rpm's. Another question is 5k rpms a lot at 60,70mph?

#7 ·
It seems managable. It's not. It's lulling you into a false sense of security and at some point you'll push it and need to react with what experience would have taught you.

Then you're up a crick.

5,000 RPMs is nothing. At 5,000 RPMs, a race replica is barely breathing. That's just enough RPMs to keep from fouling the plugs.
Not sure what connection you're making between RPMs and speed. :confused:

#9 ·
In 6th, it'll go all the way to redline without any mechanical worries.
There's no point in this, as the powerband ends somewhere between a few hundred to a thousand RPMs before redline.

If you're going 60 or 70 in 6th, you're shifting too soon.

Not to beat my point to death, but this is one of the things that experience teaches you. It's ill advised to be learning all these basics of motorcycling while riding a highly tuned purpose built racing bike.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just saying that when it comes to safely learning how to ride, your odds are bad. And it's not all power and speed, in fact, that's the least of it. That's one thing you can control easily. The big problem is the geometry of these things. When you start on a replica, you have to not only learn how to ride, you have to learn how to ride on the most difficult and twitchy bike available.

#11 ·
jrog24 said:
The only way to get experience is to ride and i may as well do it the safest way i can....
What, by riding unlicenced???

Why do you keep asking about riding for a few weeks before getting your licence if you say you're going to be safe????????

Mate, the two are mutually exclusive!!

#16 ·
Now, I dunno what the rules are in your state, but the rule are such here in Ontario, Canada.

Ther first motorcycle licence is called an M1 and this is written only, they did this so that anyone can practice on their motorcycle (with a load of restrictions) and still get insurance. After 8-10 months, the M1 holder then goes for a test that requires riding, and gets an M2. The only difference between a fully licence (M) and an M2 is that the holder has to have zero blood alcohol. I know this my sound like it doesn't appply to you, but I find it hard to believe that in your state, the first test is a riding test -> or else everybody would have to be riding around unlicenced/uninsured in order to pass that test!

#17 ·
Jrog:
You dont have to take a written and driving test at the same time. Once you get the written test, you'll get a permit. Technically you need to have another liscenced rider, within eye sight, over 21, to use the permit. The test is pretty easy, and costs less than $15.
If you take the msf, which is a few hundred bucks, you will go thru the written, and riding test, get your liscence, and learn a few tricks about how to handle scary situation that will take you over 6 months to learn otherwise. Its highly recommended. Furthermore, you get to do all that on their bikes, so if you drop one, its not a big deal.

BTW, you live less than 2 hours away from me, so if you need any help let me know.

#19 ·
The written test is like 20 questions (I think its been a while) mostly having to do with countersteering, lane selection etc. As for insurance, call your agent, they will be able to explain it much better than I can. But I know your bike has to be insured BEFORE you go to take your test on it.

#20 ·
In AR. all you have to do is take a written test, 10 ?'s, multiple choice, common sence, and presto, your safe enough to ride!

Some how that does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about who is on the bike next to me:eek:

#21 ·
jrog24 said:
So i can take just the written how long does this take and will ins cover with me having only this?
Go by your DMV and pick up a copy of the motorcycle manual. It takes very little time to read and will virtually guarantee you'll pass the written test. I had to take it twice because I took it and got my permit, and then just rode around on that until it expired. I had to take it again and wait a month before I could take the riding test.

Out of curiousity, how did you get a brand new 2005 bike without showing proof of insurance? Did you buy it in cash? If you financed it I find it hard to believe that the dealership and lien holder let you leave the lot without proof of insurance. Either way, just go take the written test and if nothing else get someliability insurance so you'll be legal. Riding is an expensive hobby, so if you have the funds for the bike you should have the funds for licensing, registration, insurance, and safety gear.

#22 ·
Spicer:
A friend of mine used to work at a dealership. From what he says, household retail (the financeer for all 4 manufacturers) does not require insurance is the balance is less than 10k.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm also from Ontario, I just recently took the saftey course. I would say well worth the $385. But with the insurance rates around here I don't think I'll be riding anytime soon(this season). I've actually considered riding without insuance but doesn't seem like too good of an idea, and when you buy a bike here the paperwork requires proof of insurance to transfer ownership of a bike... so now i've got an M2 but no bike... quite depressing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.