Sportbike World banner

Buell Blast Or Ninja 500R?

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  spicerke 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to riding and the forum. I have minimal dirtbike experience, and a little ATV experience. I'm trying to decide on which 500cc bike to go with. I'm 5'10" or relatively close to it. about 200 lbs.

I've sat on a Ninja at a local dealer and liked the feel of it (not that I know what to look for, really) , but I know a guy who owns a Harley dealership that can get a good deal for me on a Buell. However, I don't really know how they compare in power, handling, or reliability.

I plan on getting one of the two, and will be taking the safety course before then.

So basically I want to hear from any current or previous Blast owners what they think about the bike...

Thanks in advance for any help :)

#2 ·
Spicers own a buell blast, and I dont think they have any warm feelings about it. I've never ridden one, but I've heard a few horror stories about their reliability.

#3 ·

Attachments

#7 ·
Just to throw another thought your way, have you checked out the SV650?

#8 ·
I have looked at the sv650's, and it sounds like a good starter bike.

However, I just really don't like the way it looks. I know that isn't the best reason to not choose a bike, but I honestly don't like the looks of it.

If I were going with a Suzuki, it would most likely be the gs500. I'm not dead set on 500cc or anything, I just don't like the sv650...

#9 ·
Looks are as good a reason as anything else. In my book they are a better reason then performance (especially when considering bikes in the same class). In fact the reason I was recommending the SV was becouse I'm not crazy about the ex500's looks. Hey man, its your money get what you want.

#11 ·
mainerdr said:
the buell does handle well and can really rip up the corners... the short wheelbase makes it feel really sticky.... not to mention wheelie quite easy...
We're talking about the blast here...

#16 ·
Cthulhu said:
Oh. Wow.

Ninja it is, then.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Vash: The only time I've seen an sv650 is online. I'll be stopping by my local Suzuki dealer to take a look at one sometime this week. Maybe the pictures don't do it justice?

Thanks again, everyone
It all depends on what your tastes are. To me the ex250/500 looks abit dated. To others, dated means authentic or classic. The SV650S (with the fairing) is the most modern looking of all starter bikes. Its got that evil nose that all the manufacturers go for. But Its all in the eye of the beholder. I mean some people think that 600RR's look sharp, while I think that they forgot to "style" that bike. See if you like this

Attachments

#17 ·
Holy crap, where'd those fairings come from? Those aren't displayed on the official site. Is it an option?

That looks 100x better.

EDIT: Found them on the accessories page. 470$ I see. completely worth it, I suppose. Make a world of difference, IMO.

#18 ·
You can get them from ronayers.com for I think $370... Dont shoot me if I dont remember the correct price

#20 ·
truth

Yes- even I, the worlds greatest authority <grin> on the Buell Blast, will Readily admit- that The EX500R Ninja is hands down the better bike over the Blast !
But, if you had been comparing the smaller Ex250 to the Blast ...then it's not so cut and dried... in the long Run- the Blast wins out here over the lil 250. As the Blast engine is built stronger, and take hop ups and big bores up to 600cc and can even go upto 700cc with a stroker Crank !

Sorry, but I like torquey thumpers over Whiney little Midget (250cc)Ninja's !

~Ralph

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/The-Buell-Blast/

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.