Sportbike World banner

Newb

915 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Vash 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Im new to this site, and to the sportbike world. I have a lot of questions but there is one main question that needs answering. I have never ridden a sportbike before. The closest was a moped my friend has. So my question is, what is the ideal sportbike a new rider like me should get? What should i know before purchasing a bike? So far i learned from exploring online and from friends is that since im jus starting off, i shouldnt jump into the bikes that have the letter "r" in their name. I learned that those the big boy bikes. LOL. I learned that when i purchase a bike, that should get a used one. Itll save me a lot of money if i do crash and i need replacment parts. One of my friends told me that my body style also effects the type of bike i should get. Im 5'10'' 150lbs. So what is the ideal bike i should get. Help me out

#2 ·
First of all apply to take the MSF Course & there you will learn the basics of how to stay upright, handle a bike a slow speeds & possibly stay alive.

Then start looking for something like the 500cc vertical twins of Suzuki or Kawasaki rather then a sportbike as they are not for beginners.

Said 500cc bike have almost bullet proof power-plants, regular riding position, nice torque & so not a peaky engine like the sportbikes being a bike a few yrs later on.

As for power well when the red stop light shifts to green the normal take-off of the above two bikes is FASTER then most cages & the darn things can haul you up to around 100mph. Believe me when your realize you must balance the bike & there is no protection around you other then what you are wearing----that gives most quite a fright. M/cs are so differnt to cages when it come to driving or riding.

Then start learning what to wear as necessary protective gear. Also if you do check up you will probably find the insurance on a sportbike is so much higher then the above 500cc bikes. Enough to were some simply gave up the idea of riding.

#3 ·
Hey, welcome to the site!

Start with an MSF. Its only a few hundred bucks, and the provide a bike. Then start searching for starter bikes..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.