Thanks Bikenut !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 05:22 AM
Super Mod

Every 2000-2500 miles.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 06:29 AM
Dad

I go 3,000 on average but I also put 15 to 20,000 miles on per year. On a really long trip, up to 10,000 miles, I wouldn't worry about changing oil for the duration of the trip, but on the other hand, if I was putting on low mileage with many cold starts or short trips (under 10 miles), I would change it much more frequently, maybe 1,000 or so.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 07:29 AM

Exclamation

I may be considered a little anal about this, but as a weekend-only rider I go through at least a 30 minute inspection/warm-up procedure prior to every ride. Check tires, pressure, critical suspension bolt torque, chain condition inspect/adjust, oil & fluid levels, brake pads, etc. Only then can I relax & go. Having experienced first-hand the bad things that can happen when a component fails unexpectedly, I won't do any less.

At my age, there's not much left to learn the hard way...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 11:41 AM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Thumbs up Oil

I try to change mine every 2500 but I usually stretch it close to 3000. I put about 8000 miles on average per year on my bikes. I'm pretty weird I guess you could say because I've had 6 sportbikes in 4 years and I've ended up either selling them or trading them in as soon as they hit 18,000 miles. I won't be doing this with my 748 though. Right now it only has 1600 on it and i think I'll be keeping it to go in my collection

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 07:34 AM

oh yeah, the oil...

No more than 2,000 miles between changes.

At my age, there's not much left to learn the hard way...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:27 AM

I change my oil/filter every 3000 kms (1875 miles, I think) at the most. Just did change number 8 on my 'Blade on Monday. Just over 10,000 miles on her now.

Rossco.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 08:24 AM

Oil? Wazzat??

I voted for 3000 miles but that isn't strictly true. For my wannabe sportbike Gold Wing 3000 miles works out ok. But for my baby Ninja... well, it kinda depends on what I've been doing with it. Lots of track time = lots of oil changes without even paying attention to the amount of miles... but sure is much less than 1000 between changes. But, if I have a somewhat boring summer and just play squidley on the local roads I might let it go until between 2000 and 3000 miles depending on how lazy I feel. But then, I get kinda nervous about oil with the high revving Ninja's engine, and keep a close eye on the level and how dirty it looks in the sight glass. It scares me a bit to think of that little motor banging off the rev limiter at 15000rpm with less than relatively clean oil in it.

When I was young and in my prime,
I used to ride all the time.
Now that I'm getting old and grey,
I only ride once a day.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 01:28 PM
Founder

Unfortunately I beat the piss out of my bike whenever I get the chance. So every 2,000 miles for me.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 01:50 PM

Talking !! Metric !!

Guys;

Metric system - you know you want to

I change every 5000km, fairly religeously; our fuel over here has all kinds of tasty carcinogens and crap like sulfur in it. It'll go black in 500km of hard riding, but if you use the good stuff it should be changed by 5000km.

For those inside the continental United States, that's about 3000 miles, give or take.

2001 Honda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(F4i)
1993 Toyota

(Series III 3SGTE)
Personal page is
or
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode