Is it too easy to get a bike ? - Page 7 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?
Poll Options
Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
i think all the sportbikes that newbs wreck speaks for itself. the best is when you see salesmen try to sell someone with no experience a 600cc screamer and say things like "oh its a good beginners bike, ride it around in a parking lot for a lil bit." and to top that the dudes with big balls that get liter bikes as first bikes.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneducs View Post
Maybe new riders should have training wheels too!

Come on! What kind of mommy state do you think we need? What ever happen to my freedom to chose and being held responsible for my own actions.

Well meaning people with bad ideas, thanks but no thanks.
you have the rite to be responsible for your own actions but what if because of inexperance you harm someone else that was just on the way to the store or to work or even worst you kill someone just because you feel you have the rite to get something you truly cant control. someone just learning needs to learn to walk before they learn to run.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscottab View Post
you have the rite to be responsible for your own actions but what if because of inexperance you harm someone else that was just on the way to the store or to work or even worst you kill someone just because you feel you have the rite to get something you truly cant control. someone just learning needs to learn to walk before they learn to run.
So since it's a privilege not a right, and others lives are at risk, then the government should intervene? Ok, how about no motorcycles or cages for anyone under the age of 18, since that is the age of total accountability? Then divide both motorcycles and cages into classes and you have to test for each class before receiving an endorsement. Then maybe you want them to step in and tell you what you can and can't do elsewhere in your life too. Say you want to buy a chainsaw to cut down some trees. Do they have a right to tell you that you can't get it because you aren't properly trained, and you could be putting others at risk?

Don't mean to pick on you or anyone else, I just think that we should be able to buy what we want and let the idiots weed themselves out.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
<snip> I just think that we should be able to buy what we want and let the idiots weed themselves out.
This is a fine mantra if only they didn't take other people out at the same time. Thus the pickle of a question.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 AM

Can someone post some numbers on people who were killed/seriously injured by a motorcycle that werent on it (weather the rider or passenger)? I'd wager that number is statistically insagnificant.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
This is a fine mantra if only they didn't take other people out at the same time. Thus the pickle of a question.
I'm kind of with Vash, I'd say realistically the number of "other people" isn't really enough to justify a change in the current system. Not without creating an argument for tighter restrictions in other areas like I mentioned in my previous post.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Can someone post some numbers on people who were killed/seriously injured by a motorcycle that werent on it (weather the rider or passenger)? I'd wager that number is statistically insagnificant.
Weren't you the one who just called out statistics as irrelevant because they can be twisted? You can't have it both ways. Besides, my point was to his larger concept, not motorcycles specifically.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 AM

I said that statistics can be interpeted in different ways, if you are referring to the ccw thread. I said that a correlation between density of gun ownership and density of crime can point to either guns cause crime or that crime causes people to buy guns.

The relation between injuries/fatalites by motorcycle riders or their passengers (because it seems to me that a passenger is informed of the risk they are taking) to the injuries/fatalities of cage drivers/passangers or pedestrians that were involved in accidents with motorcycles can either show that bikes kill/injure very few people that arent on them, or that that they do if the ratio is not stupidly low. If there is another way to interpret that data, I dont see it, but I'm willing listen.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode