Is it too easy to get a bike ? - Page 6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?
Poll Options
Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:53 AM

I choose MSF.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Eskimoe663
I live in Florida where the MSC is only mandatory if you are under the age of 21. I agree with that but I rode for 10 years with no endorsement or restriction just so I wouldn't have to pay $250 to take a 3 1/2 day class that's out of town. As for the teir licensing, I like that also but not like they do it in Europe where you have to ride for 2 years at certain cc's before moving up. I think everyone should start at a certain cc level and anytime you feel you're ready to step up, test and show that you can handle the bike you want.
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:48 PM

Without a doubt!

It is way too easy for non-expierenced riders to get in too deep. Then again isn't that survival of the fittest at work? At least by giving new riders some form of formal training it gives them a chance.

post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 05:44 PM

In Australia it varies from state to state. Here, in Queensland, it used to be that you got your Learner's permit by passing a written test. Having an 'L' plate meant that you could ride only if a fully licenced person was following you on another bike.

After 3 months, you did a riding test for your Provisional licence ('P' plate). Your were restricted to a 250cc max for the next 12 months, with no pillion.

When that 12 months was completed, you were given an Open licence and could ride whatever you wanted and carry a pillion.

The rules were modified last year, but only for those who've held an Open cage licence for 3 + years. Now, you can take a 'Q-Ride' course, which vary from 2 - 4 days, depending on where you do it and, if you pass it, go ride whatever you like. You still have to wait 12 months before carrying a pillion.

This is what my girl and I did, except we just did a 1 day course to get a restricted licence (250cc max.) as we had bought a ZZR 250. I had to go back and do another 1 day course (I'd been riding for a while by then) to get my Open licence. My girl is happy with her 250, but I keep encouraging her to go bigger. I plan to do some advanced courses, too, rather than learn by trial and error , picking up bad habits along the way.

I think courses should be mandatory for all riders, regardless of age and previous bike experience.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 PM

I chose MSC.

Yay for Rhode Island to be the only state that requires completion of a MSC to obtain a license! (I think it's the only state?)
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 PM

MSC for sure!
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM

$250 sounds like a bargain compared to the 350 it cost here in NY. The other location which is like an hour away from me charges 250 but with tolls and gas it's not worth going up there. It's kind of funny how were restricting ourselves (the motorcycle community) more and more while any other driver can buy a minivan,hummer,corvette, whatever they please and not have to worry about restrictions. Imagine if all drunk drivers had to ride a motorcycle home instead of a car. Deaths of other motorists would surely decrease drastically. In essence when you ride drunk on a motorcycle, your taking full responsibility for if you die while if you drive intoxicated in a car, a fee, perhaps some jail time and you'll probably live from the accident which gives you another chance to do it all over again.
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 AM

NO!

Don't worry about your neighbor people!!
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Maybe new riders should have training wheels too!

Come on! What kind of mommy state do you think we need? What ever happen to my freedom to chose and being held responsible for my own actions.

Well meaning people with bad ideas, thanks but no thanks.
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 AM

Yeah baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneducs View Post
Maybe new riders should have training wheels too!

Come on! What kind of mommy state do you think we need? What ever happen to my freedom to chose and being held responsible for my own actions.

Well meaning people with bad ideas, thanks but no thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode