Is it too easy to get a bike ? - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?
Poll Options
Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 05:43 AM

Motorcycle Safety Exams wrong

Never took MSF course but I did notice that the FL. Moto Exam was straight defensive driving elements, that were either not applicable or downright WRONG in regard to staying alive on a motorcycle. Things like riding down the middle of the road holding your lane position at all costs, etc. Until we want mandatory training for all drivers like suggested I would not advocate for it for us. I do like time on the bike and beginning cc licenses OK and open it up after a year or two, maybe. But courses are just about making money, really. I do like FZR Tony's response that we would now have these high tech small cc bikes available to us. I don't think where we have no restictions other than a short waiting period to buy legal FIREARMS in this country why we should we have to spend time and $$ teaching moto skills. I wonder how many advocates of this tiered system are MSF teachers hoping to increase their own revenue! Also latest studies show cell phone usage in cars decreases driver's ability to drive safely, that would probably save a lot of our butts to make driving and yakking illegal, but I know that won't pass with the telecommunication's lobbies. Be careful of more legislation, it always lead to abuse of other constitutional protections. For example, how long before cops stop any rider to determine if he has the right license for the bike he rides, from that now legal inquiry all sorts of abuse starts.

Last edited by DIRTYCURTYD; 07-12-2002 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 04:17 AM

I believe there should be 2 tiers of licensing. Having dirt bike experience has almost nothing to do with a road license other than you can 'operate' a motorcycle. The traction demands, braking differences, OTHER VEHICLES all differ. I also believe that taking driver or rider license tests at DMV in a clased area is crap. At least MSF courses make you complete a full class before you take that test.

I believe in the right to buy/own whatever you want as long as you can demonstrate that you are somewhat proficent at using it. How many 19 year olds can REALLY ride a liter-bike. I am not talking about those rare instances of a Hayden or Bostrom, but then again they ride RACEbikes, not streetbikes.

I don't exactly know how the tier would be set but having a MSF course be MANDATORY would tie up the system for those who want to LEARN to ride instead of those who are just taking a class to GET a license. Those who want to LEARN will take the class. The ones who already know everything, know it all becausethey have already experienced crashes in their first month of riding!

CbrBob
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgixer
Even the MSF won't stop the problems associated with the new super bikes. There should be a max. horsepower/ size that a new riders should be allowed to ride. Will this stop the idiots, of course not.... you can't legislate intelligence, but it'll be a start.
That doesn't sound fair to a 300 pound man who's too big to fit on a (supposed) 500cc bike. He probably needs at least a 750 on upwards to 1000cc.

-=bmacd=-

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:30 AM

I think Every cager should have to ride a bike for at least one year, before getting a license. I also think a tiered system should used.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 07:05 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by bmacd
That doesn't sound fair to a 300 pound man who's too big to fit on a (supposed) 500cc bike. He probably needs at least a 750 on upwards to 1000cc.

-=bmacd=-
If you are talking the physical size of the bike, then the engine displacement means nothing. My wife's 600 fit me WAY better then my 1100 ever did, and I'm 6'2" and weigh about two-oh-fat.

I'm starting to agree with the tiered system more and more. If someone is really getting into riding because they love it then they won't mind. I think the tier system should only be for the road though. If someone wants to buy their liter bike for stunt shows or track use then fine, but for any bike that will be registered and driven on the public roads there should be some kind of regulation, IMHO.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Strength and Honor

I voted for a tiered system, but think it's pretty heavy handed. But I see no choice but to restrict the actions of the incompetent in advance, rather than them (POSSIBLY) being charge and sued after I'm already dead.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:07 AM

Alberta is changing to a tiered drivers licence system for all new drivers ( cars incld.) with a Zero tolerance for alcohol or speed violations. Although I kinda feel for the new drivers, I drive for a living and will feel slightly safer.
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:54 AM

Re: Motorcycle Safety Exams wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by DIRTYCURTYD
Never took MSF course but I did notice that the FL. Moto Exam was straight defensive driving elements, that were either not applicable or downright WRONG in regard to staying alive on a motorcycle. Things like riding down the middle of the road holding your lane position at all costs, etc. Until we want mandatory training for all drivers like suggested I would not advocate for it for us. I do like time on the bike and beginning cc licenses OK and open it up after a year or two, maybe. But courses are just about making money, really. I do like FZR Tony's response that we would now have these high tech small cc bikes available to us. I don't think where we have no restictions other than a short waiting period to buy legal FIREARMS in this country why we should we have to spend time and $$ teaching moto skills. I wonder how many advocates of this tiered system are MSF teachers hoping to increase their own revenue! Also latest studies show cell phone usage in cars decreases driver's ability to drive safely, that would probably save a lot of our butts to make driving and yakking illegal, but I know that won't pass with the telecommunication's lobbies. Be careful of more legislation, it always lead to abuse of other constitutional protections. For example, how long before cops stop any rider to determine if he has the right license for the bike he rides, from that now legal inquiry all sorts of abuse starts.
I'm sorry but I got to correct you...first the MSF is a non-profit organization. The bikes they use during training are donated by local dealerships or previous students. Second, the instructors are ALL volunteers. The small fee they charge is to pay for bike maintenance and fix-ups when someone drops a bike. I am NOT an instructor, simply a very grateful student. I'm also re-taking the MSF course this year as a re-fresher.
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 05:28 PM

That last statement isn't completely true as a MSF instructor 6 years ago I was paid ~8 bucks an hour. Not too much but not volunteer either. It can also be run as a for profit business as is done here in the San Bernardino area. They certainly aren't getting rich off it but it is a business AS IT SHOULD BE. That way if they suck their competitors can run them out of business instead of being like a government job where it's impossible to get rid of the incompetent. This is all different state to state too. In Illinois where I trained to ride and as an instructor the license money paid for the course so basically it was free to state residents. Here in CA that is obviously different as my wife is taking the class this weekend and it's 200 bucks here (go figure as CA is the 7th largest economy in the world, runs a deficit and is almost broke @ 8% state income tax but can't pay for MC training?????).

, later
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 02:26 AM

I stand corrected. I didn't realize the MSF was different in other states. They only charge $25 per course here in MI. I did talk with the instructors when I last took the class 2+ years ago. They were not paid or made a profit. I'm very surprised they charge so much in other states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode