Is it too easy to get a bike ? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?
Poll Options
Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 12:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossco929
(snip). I don't know. It just scares me that somebody who doesn't really know the clutch lever from the brake lever yet can jump on something like a 'Busa right off the bat.
what's scarier is that people do. people will buy a goldwing or big twin harley with no experience at all (or 30 years away from bikes).

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:26 AM

I voted tired system, but the MSF shoulf be a req as well.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 02:00 PM

Yes, a course should be mandatory. It used to be here in Quebec, back when I finally decided to go legit and got my bike license. The thing is that they were given by private companies, so the content, and the quality of the courses varied a lot. In fact, when I had to take mine, Ididn't even take it. I paid, showed up for the first night (on my GSZXR-750), and they told us all to go in the parking lot and practice on their LTD 250s. Well, I went out on one, and proceded to do figure eights scraping the pegs the whole way round each arc. It was night, so the sparks coming off the pegs looked pretty cool. Anyway, the instructor called me over and said that I was wasting my time, and that he would sign off for my 18 hours theory and parking lot stuff, and my 22 on the road. All I did was go back for the last class when they had the parking lot set up just like the test would be so I would know what I was going to have to do. The drag was that I showed up on my Gixxer again, and got nailed for ridng without a license on the way home ($250). That was the first time I ever got nailed for that (when I started riding on the street, the cops didn't even care if you had a bike license- a car license was good enough, but that had changed, and that's why I decided to get my bike license finally), and I had my appointment for my test the next morning (almost exactly 12 hours from when I got stopped). The cop was cool, though, he could have impounded my bike, but he let me ride it home anyway.

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:15 PM

Let us LEARN....

Not only do I feel a "pre-endorsement" course is VITAL, I strongly feel "WE" all need to take skill enhancment courses throughout our entire Riding Lives/Careers. I've always felt that "WE" can never know enough, or ever stop learning new and better Riding techniques/skills. There are so many GREAT courses available out there and they are all out there for a REASON! I just wish they were more affordable for those who can't fork out a grand, two, three, or even up to four grand with all the costs that are required to meet the course requirements. I am a well "seasoned" rider, but I am learning new skills/techniques ALL the time! The absolute most important thing (with all due respect!) that new/"old" riders need to understand and practice religiously are Common Sense (of course) but I think most of all is RESPECT! Respect for ourselves, our machines, our abilities, and Others out on the road. And certainly INTENSE AWARENESS of the totally UNaware "IDIOTS" out there that have NO respect/awareness for other motorists, be it Motorcyclists, or those who prefer four tires under them. Learn, Practice, Learn, Practice, and when your done Learning and Practicing... LEARN AND PRACTICE MORE...! Something definitely has to be done to not only HELP, but PROTECT these "Fresh Virgins" coming into this fantastic and wonderful sport FOR US, as well as FROM THEMSELVES! I sincerely and respectfully wish ALL of you the very BEST! God bless, protect, and watch over all of us! ENJOY!!!
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
There should be tiered licensing for motorcycles and autos. Especially autos.
SUV and mini vans should need a commercial passenger endorsement. Passenger cars should be rated by horse power, if you pass the driving requirements to buy a high performance auto then you should be allowed to drive them. You shouldn't be able to buy a 385 hp 170 mph car just because you can afford it.

All licensed drivers should have to ride a motorcycle first, for at least a year or two.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

Last edited by Fatman; 03-28-2001 at 11:47 PM.
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:51 PM

Cool I guess I'm the black sheep...........

Let me say this first: I agree that training and education is good for everyone. Some people need it more than others. Some people are naturally adept at handling machines, others are not. But everyone needs to have their intellect sharpened by either classes, experience, or both.
I do not agree that anything said previously should be required. I personally hate it when the government holds our hands and tries to run our lives. When getting a license, you prove that you have the necessary skills to handle your bike. (excluding roadracing riding styles). The rules of the road are the same for cages and bikes. The problem is, for some people, that they try to go beyond their limits and they get into trouble.
But I think that the biggest problem is that the people do insensible things that they know they should not do. Like speed down the road at 150 on the shoulder and other such hooliganism. They know better than this stuff already, yet certain people will do it anyway.
I agree that safety courses are fine and dandy, I personally have had no training, and I do fine. I'm certainly not a squid, and my head is mature and sensible. But, if you try to start to require this and that, people are going to rebel, pay no attention, and not get anything out of it. And I darn sure don't want anybody telling me that so and so bike is too big for you sonny. No thank you.
And for transportation purposes, a Dodge Viper or a Volkswagon Bug are both cars that can safely be driven by the same person without special training. There is no need for special training for high powered cars when the limits of the road are the same across the board. Neither the govt nor an independant is going to train a Viper owner to tear up the public roadways. Some of the people who buy these cars have the wrong intent behind it, like racing on the street, and that attitude is where the problem is.
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 02:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
I don't like Big Brother squeezing me either, but somtheing needs to be done about all these damn autos.
Maybe I should give up and leave California.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 04:07 PM

WHOAHHHH! Have the Safety Nazis brainwashed all you guys? Give them an inch of regulation and they will surely legislate us out of existance!
I'm no expert on the Hurt report, but I do recall that alcohol and unliscenced riders are very well represented in motorcycling deaths. These people will be totally unaffected by any more regulation.
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 07:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
WHOAHHHH! Have the Safety Nazis brainwashed all you guys? Give them an inch of regulation and they will surely legislate us out of existance!
I'm no expert on the Hurt report, but I do recall that alcohol and unliscenced riders are very well represented in motorcycling deaths. These people will be totally unaffected by any more regulation.

Well put.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 10:49 PM

I think that all riders need training before hopping on a bike for the first time. I just got my first bike but I took the MSF course first. I'm not sure about making laws to require it, but they sure could do some things to encourage people to take the classes. First off they need more places to take the classes. Too many times the classes are full and who wants to wait for months to take a class so you can get a bike. Secondly, the manufacturers and dealers need to push training. The dealers should have posters up about MSF courses and the only manufacturer that I remember seeing that was pushing training was Harley Davidson with their Riders Edge program which is a MSF course. It just really irks me when I hear about 16 year old kids that get a 600 Ninja as a first motorcycle. That is just an accident waiting to happen. I would think it might be sensible to have some kind of restriction on the kind of bike that a minor with no training should be allowed to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode