Let the flaming begin!!! - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Would you run from the police ?
Poll Options
Would you run from the police ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
The cops in Torrance know my bike and they know where I live. Running from them would be pointless.
Now if its the CHP, they have a bad habbit of not turning on their lights right away, (they seem to think you can't see them) and if the lights ain't on, they ain't trying to pull me over, so I'm not running

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 10:11 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
If you can't shake them within 30-46 sec you might as well pull over and tell him you didn't see or hear him so they don't hit you with evading

John
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossco929
I have gone by many a radar trap at 250+ kmh. They do not even try and chase me. ....

....As an interesting aside, I just read where the Surete du Quebec just spent $7.5 million on a new helicopter (that makes 3 for the entire provincial police dept). This thing has a top speed of 214 kmh. Give me enough road, and I'll even lose that thing.
I've been in Quebec, isn't 250 kph about the average speed, the cops are probably waiting for a cabbie thats going faster.

Here in Edmonton, the cops are going to get a chopper. I've spoke to a few of them and the first thing they plan to do with it is catch a few bikers.

Personally I don't run, the possiblity of getting caught adds to the fun. Besides, the only times I get tagged is when I'm just puttering around in no hurry and not paying attention to my speed.

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:16 PM

no runnin for me.....not enough experience to risk a high-speed wreck....but i might make a few turns and hide you could call it financial evasion!!!!!
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 08:13 PM

I was cruizing down the freeway shortly after I fixed my bike from the theft damage. There was a copper giving someone a ticket on the left side of me, and just over the other hill was another one waiting for someone else to nab. Well, I was going about 90 in a 55 and the lights came on. I had no license (expired), no insurance, no inspection, and no registration. HHHMMMMM, he was straight across from an exit ramp....hhhhmmmmm.......He'll need to cross straight across 4 lanes of Houston traffic to exit..........hhhhhhmmm.......I was approaching the exit......hhhhhhhmmmmm...........Needless to say, the city didn't get any of my money and I got to my destinaton via an alternate route....
Adrenaline is good stuff.
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 02:46 PM

It's not worth the risk to run. I got 2 tickets within a 2 week period, 68 in a 40 on my XR650 - that cost $105.00 and 90 in 55 on the XX - just a warning. Both were by the Indiana State Police. It pays to be polite, the cop that gave me the warning said because I pulled over right away (he was oncoming, not behind me) and didn't run he would make it a warning. It's not worth a felony evasion rap (with the loss of gun ownership if convicted of a felony) to run. In my wilder days we did it almost weekly, but it ain't worth it now.
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 07:54 PM

There is no way I would run. If caught, and that is highly likely as I try not to ride too stupidly, I might end up in jail. I have worked there part-time; not a place I would like to spend the night...
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 02:11 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Question Nope, notta, nyet, no chance in hell.

That's one thing I have noticed about living in Fresno. There are about 4 red VFR 800's. With my luck I would run, get followed but a piggy that rides motocycles on weekends. He would be able tell what kind of bike I got and find me later. Nope, no way I'm running.

Of course I heard stories of 2 guys I ride with, both with Busas. They ditched a Sheriff by double backing on him. they hid behind a gas station until he went by. Crazy bastards!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 03:28 PM

If on a highway with little to no traffic and the cop is either coming up behind me or I just wizzed past his radar gun, as long as I know he didn't get my plate number, I'd gun it and take the first exit.

If in a more residential area, with the same cop-seeing-my-plate rules applying, I'd attempt to make some quick turns to avoid 'em, but I'd never resort to speeding beyond what I was already doing (doesn't mean I'd hesitate to get up to that speed, though ).
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 05:51 AM

Does hiding count?

There is a set of "S" curves near me that are posted for 35 mph. I take them at 80 every time I go that way. Twice I've flew through the curves with knee out and peg dragging and had a cop in the oncoming lane (I stay in my own lane) go by. Both times the cop just glanced at me and continued on his way. I dunno if he figured he couldn't catch me anyway, or if it was one of the cops who know me from my stunt riding days, or if a parking spot opened up in front of the donut shop.

I haven't really "run" from a cop, but I have quickly hidden behind buildings, even a big truck in a parking lot, when I've seen a cop turn around obviously to come after me. Does that count?

The times I've been pulled over (no time or no where to hide) being polite and admitting! that I screwed up have always resulted in either a severe talking to (warning with no ticket) or an enjoyable chat about bikes. There are a lot of police in my area that also ride.

Last edited by Bikenut; 04-14-2001 at 05:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode