Wet ? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Do you ride in the rain?
Poll Options
Do you ride in the rain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 08:14 AM

I prefer not to ride in the rain though Florida is notorious for afternoon showers in the spring and summer months so you will occasionally get wet. The worst part is cleaning the bike again....yuk!!

"The Only Fate Worse Than Death Itself Is To Live A Life Of Mediocrity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:41 AM

Weather To Ride or Not ?

I'm not a huge fan of rain while riding, but I won't let it spoil my ride.

If I'm off to work I'll ride no matter what. Although, I did take the train during the winter gales as I couldn't keep my bike in a straight line and I deemed it un-safe.

If I'm planning to ride for pleasure, it all depends how important the journey is. A bit of rain doesn't worry me as my kit is very good.

At the end of the day it all depends on the risk involved. As a family man with responsibities, I have to consider the risk. However, most of the time I ride anyway and adjust my riding to suit the conditions. You would be amazed how much you can learn about bike control during bad weather. I feel I'm a better rider because of it.

Respect.

Sussex Man
------------------------------
Riding because I can 8-)

"On the outskirts of nowhere,
On the ringroad to somewhere,
On the verge of indecision,
I'll always take the roundabout way."
- Marillion -
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: Yes thanks DaDuck 748

Quote:
Originally posted by DaDuck748
I ride in all kinds, my dear.

Rain does not phase me. Just get a little wet in the face. I wear all the proper gear:
- Aerostich suit
- Widder electric vest (when it gets really cold out)
- All season Gaerne motorcycle boots
- All season Olympia motorcycle gloves (although I need new ones)

For my street bike, I currently have Dunlop D220's which stick like glue in the rain. They don't hold worth jack on the dry, though.

Yes, since this is only California (weather is more extreme in other parts), I've ridden through drizzle, rain, storm, lightning, strong winds, El Nino, frost.

Does that answer your question?

I started this poll just to see how many riders I can expect to see when the puppies and kitties start falling from the sky. So far, from what I can tell, wet weather phases about half the riders in Northern California. But when wet weather gets WET, it tapers off a WHOLE lot more, and I seem to be the only one.

Hard core, or just plain stupid? Dunno... but I do know that I LOVE TO RIDE.
I'm with you though I augment the 'stich with a rain suit if it's going to be a steady rain (classic 'stich wet crotch syndrome) and I prefer Gerbings over Widder. In addition to the jacket, heated grips make a huge difference in my comfort, be it cold or rainy (or both) Best $35 one can spend on a bike, IMHO.

I have waterproof boots but I put nylon rain covers on them anyway since even the best boots will usually leak at some point. I have some waterproof Held Hawk gloves (with a really cool built in squeegee) but they are a little too warm for summer rain. When it's warm out, I really like my Aerostich Triple Digit glove covers over Olympia gel gloves.

Rode to work in the rain today. Bike turned over 95,000 miles on the way in. I arrived happy, warm and calm, unlike cage days where I just arrive warm.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 07:11 PM

Just Riding In The Rain

If it's pouring down raid before I get started, I'll take the truck, other than that, I'll go for it.....

This last summer I rode through 3 pouring down thunderstorms, one at night for about 50 miles..... It wasn't fun, but my gear kept me dry..... My boots kept filling up though...LOL

Was rushing on the way home trying to beat a storm that looked bad... Greenish looking clouds and such...... Then the straight line winds cut loose, and I about got blown off the road.....

I live out in the country, and it just so happened there was a barn, with the door open, so I quickly ducked inside to ride that one out......

The looks on the people's faces working in the barn was priceless when I came blasting in there....

They were pretty nice though, they let me wait out the storm.....
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 07:15 PM

Cleaning....

I agree with Flyer.... The worse part is cleaning the bike after riding it in the rain.... I have chrome on the tail pipes, and buffing off the hard water deposits is a real pain...... Not to mention the dirt that gets everywhere, and the chain cleaning and oiling......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode