NASCAR vs Motorcycles - Page 5 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Would you be mad if you were watching motorcycle racing and suddenly NASCAR came on?
Poll Options
Would you be mad if you were watching motorcycle racing and suddenly NASCAR came on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 06:12 AM

NASCAR Sucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 07:05 AM

Deal with it

If it wasn't for NASCAR, Speed Channel wouldn't exist. More people watch NASCAR than any other form of racing in the US and that's what advertisers pay for. No ads = no TV.

Also, I've posted this before, but it's funny that people bash NASCAR when the same family that started it also promoted the hell out of the Daytona Beach motorcycle races. These races led to races at Daytona Intl. Speedway (built for and because of NASCAR) and ultimately to the largest bike event in the world.

post #43 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:57 AM

NASCAR is one of the Gheyest motorsports out there

NASCAR

Last edited by 2000EX250R; 07-23-2003 at 05:52 PM.

post #44 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:43 AM

Nascar

I would be pissed off if I was watching an informercial
and NASCAR came on.
Hillbilly soap opera. Unacceptable to anyone who
walks upright and knuckles are over 3" off the floor.

I can say with 85% surity the P-Up truck that just
ran you off the road or will tomorrow will have a
Nascar sticker on it somewhere.
post #45 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:56 AM

White Trash

Dude,
Come on. You are PA, the white trash capitol of the world. How can you not like NASCAR?

This is from a recent article that explains why NASCAR is on Speed so much.

MOTORSPORTSTV.COM
Truck Series Ratings Up 17%
According to Nielsen Media Research, the average cable ratings for the first nine races of the 2003 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series schedule are 17% higher than 2002. The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series has the highest average rating of NASCAR programming on SPEED Channel.

The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series also ranks third in motorsports cable ratings – behind only the NASCAR Winston Cup and NASCAR Busch Series – earning a higher average than IRL, CART, and Formula One. (NASCAR Press Release)
post #46 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 03:05 PM

Re: White Trash

Quote:
Originally posted by FLnewbie
Dude,
Come on. You are PA, the white trash capitol of the world. How can you not like NASCAR?

This is from a recent article that explains why NASCAR is on Speed so much.

MOTORSPORTSTV.COM
Truck Series Ratings Up 17%
According to Nielsen Media Research, the average cable ratings for the first nine races of the 2003 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series schedule are 17% higher than 2002. The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series has the highest average rating of NASCAR programming on SPEED Channel.

The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series also ranks third in motorsports cable ratings – behind only the NASCAR Winston Cup and NASCAR Busch Series – earning a higher average than IRL, CART, and Formula One. (NASCAR Press Release)

C'mon really.....Florida....you cant throw stones living in Florida,
besides, New Jersey is the white trash capitol of the world.
We have hillbillies and there is a huge difference between the two.
If you want to go by statistics McDonalds sells more burgers
than anyone else. Britney Spears and rap sell more of what they
do (nah, not music) than anyone else......More people like
WWF smack down that real wrestling....
More people like Nascar than real racing......
Humans(?) in Amerika always flock to the lower element or standard. Its a proven fact.
I stand by what I sed....If I want to surround myself by drunken,
toofless, inbreeds wrecking cars I will go stand in the Wal-Mart parking lot on a friday or saturday nite.

I have to go dust off my flamingos........
post #47 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 02:02 AM

Quote:
C'mon really.....Florida....you cant throw stones living in Florida,
Actually, the NASCAR crowd in Florida is almost non-existent compared to the rest of the country, believe it or not. I'm originally from SC and up there, what you are saying is true. Yes, NASCAR is a southern based racing series and, yes, there are several million rednecks who are fans, but the entire fan base is not what you would see at Pocono event.

I'm into all types of racing. I like Formula 1 for the sheer speed and handling of the cars, motorcycles because of the true talent needed to handle a bike, and NASCAR because it is an experience. I'm not crazy about NASCAR on TV, but I'll go to any race at the drop of a hat. NASCAR has built its fan base by providing an experience to racegoers. If you haven't attended a race, then that won't make sense. Kind of like the 24 Hours of LeMans. It's boring as shit to try and watch the race (for the most part), but the experience of being there is unreal.

Question: other than everyone's misperception of the fan base, what's so bad about the racing? Okay, they race on ovals primarily, but so does IRL/IndyCar. Other than that, isn't a bit more exciting to watch guys actually trade paint and pass each other? I'm looking for a normal discussion here, not a flame war.

And by the way, several of my friends are from PA. Yes, they are white trash, but I realize that not everyone is like that.
post #48 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 04:10 AM

Okay, no flaming.

1, it's like a bad soap opera where you have to figure out who the characters are before it makes any sense cus' the anouncer just went ape shit when Gus looked sideways at Cooter and this seems really trivial to me??? So basically the racing isn't the focus, the "inside story" is.

2, can't get over the rules "fixing" the cars so they're more equal. WTF is that about. Ford wins 3 in a row so they get penalised with a aero change and smaller restrictor plates???

3, My extreme distaste for NASCAR is similar to my feelings for Harley. They are successful because the same rednecks who keep Springer on TV decided they're the shiat. The blind devotion for HD/NASCAR while badmouthing anything different in some misguided patriotic mantra is gonna make me puke.

4 The oval racing may take skill and daring but it is utterly invisable to the viewer and the packs of cars on the same lap that NASCAR strives make it seem mundane if everyone can keep up.

post #49 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 05:56 AM

Thanks, Apex. Well thought out answers.

You are correct about number 1. Often times, there is an inside story about certain things.

The rules changes are becoming less common now that they have gone to the "common" body templates, but they are designed to make the race between the drivers and not the cars. People are still free to tinker with engines and chassis setups, but NASCAR has done as much as possible to take the aero factor out of the equation. There still is room for each team to play with that, though.

The blind devotion thing kind of goes back to your first answer. There is a bit of drama going on and the fans get into it. They enjoy it and they are loyal. Not much different from soccer, cycling or Formula 1 fans in Europe.

On your fourth point, it's similar to answer 2 above. NASCAR wants the racing to be between the drivers and not the technology. Formula 1 made similar changes when the Ferrari guys were spending $300 million a year and killing everyone with technological advances.
post #50 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 06:06 AM

Here's a quote from Speed Channel that may make you all much happier. Bash NASCAR, but it's likely that it will make Speed more available to everyone everywhere.

CABLE WORLD
The Speedway's Paved with Green
By Shirley Brady

According to Speed Channel president Jim Liberatore, the two-year-old channel is firing on all cylinders thanks to NASCAR, with a boost next month coming in the form of a new one-hour block of enthusiast programming (starting Aug. 4 at 8 p.m.) to attract even more auto and racing buffs to its prime time. “NASCAR is our most-watched and highest-rated category, and the next category is the auto enthusiasts,” says Liberatore of the move to superserve Speed's audience and boost ratings across the schedule. If viewers respond favorably, the move may also persuade cable operators to melt down Speed Channel to basic cable on any systems where it is now on a premium tier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode