Safety Course ? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Poll: Have you taken a beginner MSF riding course, or equivalent?
Poll Options
Have you taken a beginner MSF riding course, or equivalent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:13 PM

Congrats to you. The course helps to be aware of a safer way to ride. Although a lot depends on where you are and who is around you. It is the little things that can make a big difference.

Now send some of that 90 degrees to Maryland so we can ride a little more comfortable, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 PM

I just took one a couple of weekends ago. It's a state requirement here in Maine to operate a motorcycle. Pretty cool, if you ask me.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 PM

We have a new system in my state, whereby, if you've had your cage licence for 3 + years, you can do a bike course (3 - 4 days) and (if you pass it) get an open bike licence.

Buy a 1200 if you like.

No previous riding experience necessary.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 07:47 PM

I never took MSF, but I had lots of dirtbike experience.

For new riders, MSF is probably a must, but for people who know about bike geometry, as relates to varying models, MSF is probably just a way to give money to an organization that's in bed with the local MVD.

I'm not anti-MSF or anything, but only trying to say that it's not like one will absolutely die if they don't go to MSF, provided they have experience on bikes of some type. It's worth noting that they make a lot of money off of fear.

[/Soapbox]
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie123
I just took one a couple of weekends ago. It's a state requirement here in Maine to operate a motorcycle. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

I think this a Great thing.
I took a 2 day 9am to 6:30 pm Saturday and 9AM to 5PM Sunday. I grew up on a Dirt Bike and Riden mainly cruisers. I am also planning on going back to take their advanced riding course as well.
It was at a Honda Rider Education Center. I felt the instructor was very good and attentive to what you where doing wrong and how to correct it.

It seems there are to many times on the Road where things come up, the "emotion" takes over or "knee jerk reaction" due to lack of skill or time in the saddle then it's too late. Training/Refreshers course I feel help everyone.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 12:38 PM

I have found that the peoplw that need the class the most are people who have been 'riding for years'. You can never learn too much. I use to take the course every 2 years (BRC or ERC) and had fun everytime.
Now I'm an instructor and love watching people learn a sport I love and the ones who thought they knew it all before the class say how much they learned.

John B.
I could stop if I wanted to.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 12:42 PM

Here in WA state, if you take the MSF course and pass, you just have to go to the DMV within 180 days and pay to have the endorsement added to your license.

And much like the post from Austrailia, it's open displacement, no restrictions.

I took the course to find out what I should be doing on a bike, instead of venturing out on the roads with no experience at all. I figure I'd at least have a shooting chance of surviving to gain some knowledge of riding, rather than getting myself killed quickly!
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 01:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
riding since 3

ive been riding since 3 years old, now 38. lots of MX riding and been on the street since age 15. never took the MSF till last year mainly for cheaper insurance rates. Even after all the years of riding class was great. definately something all new riders should take.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 PM

My parents won't let me get a motorcycle, so no, at least not yet. Right when/before I can get a bike I'll deff take them.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Steadman
My parents won't let me get a motorcycle, so no, at least not yet. Right when/before I can get a bike I'll deff take them.
They provide the bikes. You don't need one to take the course. Not to mention your parents may see it as being pro-active and responsible and trust you to have your own motorcycle.

HERE is the link for your area course.

Good luck.

John B.
I could stop if I wanted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode