Sportbike World banner

Texas moto laws

958 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  His_Suzuki 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I see a lot of you ride in Texas. I need to know what some of the laws are out here. I can't get a straight answer on splitting lanes. Can you or can't you? If you do and it's against the law, what would be a good defense?? I fight all my tickets no matter what I was doing (don't do too much actually) so please inform me. Thanks!

------------------

#2 ·
I asked a Denton Co. sheriff and he told me:

"I am unawre of any specific law that prohibits lane splitting, however, it is pretty much up to the officers discretion, and if he decides to stop you there are several other laws that can easily be applied"

I hope that helps :)

------------------
Dave FZR1

"Master....Master... where's the dreams that I've been after

Master...Master...You promised only lies

#3 ·
Hello fellow Texan! Ratman (I know it's Ratsalad, but Ratman sounded good right now....Sabbath Rules!) anyway.....he said it. There are no laws prohibiting lane splitting in Texas. HOWEVER....1. It is dangerous. Honestly. I've had all kinds of nasty stuff happen accidently and on purpose. And 2. The cop will whip out the Big Book of Made-up Offenses and ticket you for whatever he/she feels like it and you will most probably lose. The best way to beat a ticket is to not get one. Trust me; I ain't preachin' next to His Suzuki (Hi Todd!) I am The God of Tickets! I collect them as a friggin' hobby. Just don't do it. Remember, this is Texas. You are in a big city. Sportbikes are Evil Incarnate. Harley's are good. They can do no wrong. You are being watched by every cop in Dallas. Sorry, but that's the way it is here in San Antonio. The Harley riders ride w/open pipes (sorry, but it's WAY louder than any race pipe I've ever heard) and they leave rubber at lights more often than most sportbike riders, and they go unmolested. I can't ride thru my own neighborhood w/o getting pulled over for some lame-0 excuse, just to check my paperwork. Just stick to your own lane. You;ll have a better time w/o having to go thru all that hassle. Good luck and cheers.

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"

#4 ·
I don't even think about lane splitting here in the Dallas metro.

These pick-up drivin good-ol-boys around here will try to take you out simply because your gonna get ahead of them.
There is alot of road rage out there these days and we make excellent targets.
Every cop I pass stares me down.

------------------
Dave FZR1

"Master....Master... where's the dreams that I've been after

Master...Master...You promised only lies

#5 ·
Well, when I'm in 105 degree weather stuck in afternoon traffic, me and the bike get so hot, I think i'm going to pass out- REALLY! So, I think taking the chance to split lanes on a few lights (that I normally would have to sit through 4-5 greens before I get to the front)to make sure I don't pass out.

------------------

#6 ·
I have not seen where it is illegal, in the books. But, they say that only one vehicle may occupy a lane, at a time. The extreme heat really gets to the air cooled bikes and I have split lanes and had someone open his door to teach me a lesson, so I took his door off :D

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.