Sportbike World banner

Rhino Liner protection?

6K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Vash 
#1 ·
Ok here is the plan. Sharkskinz fairing. Rhino lines about 1/8" thick. Cut two holes and mount an aftermarket headlight.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Are Rhino liners more for abrasion or impact resistance? I would assume abrasion. It'll probably work great for lowsides, not so great for looping a wheelie and it's subsequent cartwheeling down the street.

#3 ·
What we worked out was to take a racing fairing, glue a nylon mesh on top of it (sort of like the backing on carpet) then cover the entire thing with about 0.125" of rhinolining (which apparently comes in lots of colors!) This way it creates a reinforced layer.
Now obviously protection only goes so far. This idea should work for scrapes fairly well, and if the impact is severe enough to brake the fairing it should still hold together alright.

#4 ·
well I reckon that would beat the Fur thing :twofinger

ya gotta post up pics if you give this a try ;)

E.

#5 ·
Will do. So long as no one pops up with "I tried it and it was the worst Idea I ever had". I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good race fairing.

#6 ·
Surely you can get your hands on some old rashed ones and give it a try to see how the final product comes out. I'd definitely want to do a practice run.

I wonder how heavy it is, would track enthusiasts benefit from this? Hrm....:dunno:

#7 ·
I should have a spare fairing here pretty soon, I'll try it on it.
As for weight, well rhinolining isnt light. I'm guessing its going to add maybe 20lbs to the bike. To me that seems acceptable for an enthusiast, but not to a professional racer.

#8 ·
I've got rhino lining on the Mazda and Linex on the Dodge, and the Linex is much better. I'd use it instead.

Rhino lining is already peeling after 1 year and the company is not standing behind their warranty.

Linex has better quality control and enforces their standards for their product on a better level.

Just my:2cents:

#9 ·
I look for them. I dont know how many local places I can find to spray that stuff. And I'm sure that no one is going to warranty that an unusual of an application.

#10 ·
yo vash

I used the dupont "do it yourself" spray on liner on a buddies 600, it looked sweet, he went down last track day, it dit not help with breaking, but did not rash nearly as bad, it is also VERY easy to touch up. I'll try to post pic's of his bike tommorow.

Later, Oh yea, kawis SUCK!!!!!!:twofinger

#11 ·
Izzy: by do it yourself do you mean the spray can kind?

How thick was the coating your friend applied?

#13 ·
We used it on a friends tail gate. After 4 cans we were able to achive a layer that was maybe 0.020" thick, if that. While such a layer will protect against scrapes, it does nothing to keep the fairing together in case it breaks. It is however very light.

A thicker layer (0.125") will provide a good deal of protection for a broken fairing, especially once its combined with the nylon weave I was refering to earlier. It will be considerably heavier, and another side effect is that it will cripple the bikes aerodynamic signature. The textured, porous surface will create much higher drag than the stock slick panels.

#15 ·
My ex b/f's truck has had the Rhino lining in for a good 3 years and with as many engines, transmissions, rear axles and everything else I dragged around back there, you can't see so much as a scratch.

As with anything spray on, it comes down to the prep work. If the material your spraying on to isn't prepped right, it's just plain not going to work.

We just did my b/f's trunk with the spray can stuff and it's not even close when it comes to quality.

#16 ·
Weight? Non aerodynamic. hahaha. WHOOOOO CAAARRREEESSS?!?!! If it saves you from having to buy plastics every three months. I say do it. Yes, it's going to add weight. But if you just like to get out there and rip it up it's fine. You can still drag knee and have fun if you're bike is a few lbs heavier. Think of it as having an older bike... but with more power still. With a cage and rhino lining, you're pretty much guaranteed that it's not gonna break. especially with the weave. it's a great idea! Pick a sweet color and do it up. Then post pics. Then take the bike and flip it down the highway and see if the plastics hold up! (jp) Go for it man. I like the idea. and if it works, maybe I"ll steal it from you!

#17 ·
If it works, Just send me the fairings, and I'll be happy to do it for you.

Speaking off, do you have some fairing laying around? Scuffed, but not cracked. Model doesnt matter, just something I can line and then go outside and run over it with a car, chunk if from a bridge and shoot it with a gun.. testing...

#19 ·
Never tried it... I got a piece of a fairing I'm planning to replace, so the old one will turn into a test. However, since I'm about to do a track day, I'm going to way till after the fact to replace it...

#21 ·
Yo vash, you will see the bike i used the liner on, although we only applied a thin layer, it surprisingly looks good, he has already been down twice since we did it, last yr, but you can see how it looks, and it does not show minor scrapes and booboo's.

#22 ·
Sweet.... "With our power combined....!"

:D

#24 ·
and where's the pics boys...??? I wanna see this stuff... :D

E.

#25 ·
DreamRyder said:
and where's the pics boys...??? I wanna see this stuff... :D

E.
Patience my buitifull tulip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.