Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - New First Bike
Thread: New First Bike
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
conrice

Send a message via AIM to conrice
ok, ive been thinking about this whole first bike thing....
and no one ever asks to start on ducatis....
but i was thinking the other day, and i had some thoughts

take a 748 for example, its way heavier than 600s, but, down on power too. also, its a v-twin, so it wouldnt be that peaky of an engine and it also has about the same rake angle of any of the other 600s, so wouldnt that be a more suitable bike for a beginner than an r6?????or 600RR??? ( forgetting about the costs)

not saying that i would advise this, or think about it, but, i was just thinking about it the other day...

as for your questions, i dont think you'll find too many people (or anyone for that matter) that will advise you to start on any race replica (R6, 600RR, zx-6RR, gsxr600, zx636), the F4i is a better bike for a beginner. you dont need a lot of power in a beginner bike. you need to learn how to ride a m/c, not hang on to one.

the popular bikes that people start on are all 500cc twins. also, the sv650 is a good beginner bike as well, and if you dont like those, you could always look at the new er650 from kawasaki (that will be a while before those come out though).

i dont exactly know why bmws, ducatis, mv agustas, etc. are more expensive, but i assume it has to deal with the fact that they are european, and they have the prestige. remember, bmw was making bikes far before making cars.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome