Sportbike World banner

I need your help on a helmet bet

942 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  His_Suzuki 
#1 ·
Me and a buddy have a bet on how long you should keep your helmet. I say you should change your helmet every 4 to 5 years, unless you have dropped it or have crashed with it on. He tells me you can use the helmet until you crash.
Please help us solve this bet.

----------
"Im like the village bicycle everyone has had a ride"

------------------

#2 ·
Don't take our words for this, we're just a bunch of squids who ride too fast. OK, I'm an old squid who used to ride too fast, but one thing I learned in journalism school was to ask the experts in matters like this. So I went to http://www.araiamericas.com/tech1.html and found this little tidbit:

"Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet."

So what does your friend owe you?

------------------
"For every action there is an equal and moronic overreaction."
Peter Egan

[This message has been edited by photobug (edited July 27, 2000).]

#4 ·
The guidelines the SCCA requires is no more than three years on helmets and harnesses. Harnesses are now dated, so the tech inspectors can tell.

Has to do with UV rays degrading the material the helmet shell is made out of.

Personally, I follow the guidelines. You ought to see my (old) helmet collection!!

------------------
"After all, we ARE professionals, here."

#5 ·
I was always told every 2 to 3 years. Some people like to drop their helmets from the mirror, seat, fuel tank, etc... and these all hurt the rigidity of the helmet and that along with UV rays is why you should change often. Besides the interior of the helmet usually fatigues by then and does not fit as snug as when new.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.