Sportbike World banner

What's with the Midwest and East Coast?

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SS 
#1 ·
Let me preface my question with a disclaimer: I have nothing against people from the Midwestern and East Coast region of our great nation. However, it seems that a vast majority of people are running into problems with speed limits, road traps, fines, paranoid lawmakers, a-hole cops and dickhead judges in the states east of the Mighty Mississippi. I know there are a fair amount of similar instances in a westerly direction as well, but it seems that sportbike officianados have targets painted on them out there. Does anyone have a line on why this is? I was planning a cross country trip within the next six months, but if I have to abandon my aggressive tendencies because of badges with attitudes, maybe I'll rethink the adventure. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC

#2 ·
VTRPilot, I know that in VA and Maryland, the cops are on the rampage, using helicopters, new BMW's for the cops. They have started cracking down on us pilots and it pisses me off. Cops were usually pretty cool with bikers, but some freakin lawmaker decided that bikes are getting out of control. All I have to say is that this is BULLSH$T, the cagers are the ones screwing up the highways and high profile rtes in the area. Anyway I still ride like I stole it, but am a little more careful. My 2cents

------------------
Tony
00 CBR 929rr
95 Camaro Z28

#3 ·
In some of my favorite places to ride the cops have been out stronger then ever. They are doing this because the residents of those areas have complained. This happens because they are tired of a few riders who use their roads for a race track. I do not blame them cause do you want folks riding by your house like a bat out of hell weaving in and out traffic passing in corners while your kids play out side? Also there are more cops out there becuase there have been more accidents in some of these areas. Do not get me wrong cause I like to ride hard at times but there is a time and place for that. It only takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time

#4 ·
Lousy cops around here are just jerks. No real crime. Besides, around here it really IS the riders. I think I am one of the two people in this town that wears a helmet. If you ever talk to some of the people around here you'll understand. Squids with attitudes.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

#5 ·
When you enlisted in the war on drugs, and allowed the media to stampede you into thinking that there was a "crime wave", and so loudly applauded the idea of 100,000 more cops, just what did you think these cops would be doing? I don't think that the cops on this side of the country are any worse than they are out west, it's just that this region is more densely populated, so there are more of them. If that first sentence doesn't apply to you because you were perceptive enough to realize someone was trying to piss down your back & tell you it was raining, then don't take it personally. I recently passed on a trip to LA, because you can't carry a gun there, and they have CHP officers every mile to make sure you act right, I decided it was just too dangerous to go alone.

Those would would trade their liberty for security deserve neither (or something like that - Ben Franklin)

------------------

#6 ·
another problem not mentioned (in the great white northeast at least) is we don't generally buy bikes as forms of transportation. therefore, they don't get ridden like you need it to go to work with tomorrow.

also bad p.r. work against sportbikes has hurt us. i remember 5 years ago the 11 o'clock news running a story on how us motorcyclists were endangering children by racing across the market street bridge (at midnight, don't blame the parents who let their kids out at midnight, and what kids were they talking about). anyway, the bridge spans two cities, and one of the two cities' police departments had a 'they're just having fun' attitude prior to this report. when the news story showed wheelies all over that city, and then had a cop saying, 'i understand the complaints of loud exhausts on these bikes, but they are street-legal and we can't do anything about them' you can bet your ass we've been getting hell ever since. don't embarass johnny law. it's taken almost 5 years for us to be able to sit downtown and not get fined or threatened with fines. that's a long time to lose the local hang out. and even now a good night went from 35-40 bikes to 10.

now the same thing is happening in northern va, dc and i heard baltimore as well. 150mph on a bike is fun to you, but when your grams get buzzed while doing 35 on the beltway, who do you think the cops are gonna go after? her for blocking traffic or you for about $700 bucks worth of fines and a fun ride trying to chase rear-end down?

sorry for the lecture everyone.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

#7 ·
I was just ticket here in CT, last weekend. The cop was pretty cool with me and dropped the charges down from Reckless to unsafe movement. The Sargent that pulled up after the arresting office, told me that the goverment has set aside money strictly for motorcycle enforment. Neither of the officers were on a regular shift they were only out patrolling motorcycle's. Is this fair? I don't think so! so what can we do about it?

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

G
#9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leon90zx11:
About the only thing you can do, Erik, is join the AMA.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or your local police force. :D

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

#10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leon90zx11:
About the only thing you can do, Erik, is join the AMA.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and maybe we'll all be able to ride without our helmets....if there's any place left to ride by the time they give up that fight.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

#11 ·
Sportbikes in the metro DC area definitely have a big target painted on them. Some bad press in the local news have dubbed them "Rocket Bikes". Several riders have been clocked well over 100 mph on the highway. Of course, if a cop sees a sportbike, he's gonna go out of his way to try and nail you for something. However, I have found this to be a problem only on the highways. I typically ride the backroads, and never see a cop. I just went on a four day trip up to the Poconos two weeks ago, didn't see a cop or speedtrap the whole time (Of course we stayed on local roads the entire time.) Just remember that you're conspicuous on the highway, and that's where they will try to nail you.

#12 ·
Here in CT backroads are wear the cops nab you. They won't chase you on the highway 9 outta 10 times. But there is alot of wooded area's and most of the towns are suburbia so it's all the local rookies getting in their quota. There is one town (West Haven) Cops sit on both ends of the drag strip. I bet that hand out 100+ tickets a day. They always have packs of ppl pulled over. Not just Street bikes either alot of harleys too.

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

#13 ·
ted, next time you go to the poconos give me an e-mail

------------------
Tony

#14 ·
ct900rider, I agree with you about the small towns, I should have included that in my post. Definitely, slow down in the rural towns, they love to bust you there. I usually watch my speed in the towns, cause your an outsider and on a sportbike. That's why I like my stock pipe, I'm pretty much through some of these towns before they realize I'm there.

Cbrf2boy, If I get up that way again soon, I'll drop you a line. Two friends and I went to the CLASS riding school at the Pocono Track. It was a great trip, fantastic roads up there!

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.