Sportbike World banner

Please help me out with Insurance questions.

3K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  AJ 
#1 ·
The bike I want to insure is a 1999 CBR F4 that I do not yet own but have ridden and plan on buying from my a friend. I am 22 years old, single, and I live in New Orleans, LA. I have had 1 speeding ticket in the past 3 years and no other violations. I have taken the MSF course and I plan on joining AMA soon but this is going to be my first sportbike.

I got a quote from All-State today because I needed to start looking somwewhere. Basically, It is way more than I thought it would be. This is what my quote looks like.

1999 Honda 600cc sport

Bodily Injury: 10/20 limits,$100 premium
Property damage: 25 limit, $20.30 premium
Uninsured motorist: 10/20, $90.00
Collision: 500 Ded., $549.00
Comprehensive: 250 Ded., 277.20
Towing and Labor: $3.00

Policy Charges: $1108 including MSF discount

This is the price for 6 months! It comes out to $188.32 per month. It might be just me but I think this is crazy for a $5000 vehicle. I need to get this to about $100 per month.

Anyway, I need you guys to help me out here. This estimate was for full coverage and used the lowest possible parameters for comp and collision. I can not afford this period so I need to find it cheaper or just not get full coverage.

My questions for anyone who could help are
What other companies should I call? Should I just not get the full coverage? What should I drop, considering I am fairly new to sportbikes, from this policy to make it cheaper?

Guys, I need all the help I can get and some good explanations about what I can do without and why would not hurt either. Thanks so much.

------------------

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate to say it, but expect to get screwed in the insurance. You're a young, single male, 1 ticket, with a new(er) bike, therefore a high risk in the ins. company's eyes. My insurance agency I'd been with for 10 years wanted $3000/year on my VTR. Needless to say I got a better deal.
I'm with State Farm now for $500/year(single, 26, male). You can also try Progressive, they are usually good. You want full coverage; you'll be glad if you ever have an accident. I don't know what your laws are, but in MD, you have to have full coverage anyway, unless you own the bike outright and don't have a lien on it.

------------------
j.--
"get on the good foot-heh, good god"

#3 ·
im 27 1 speeding ticket 1 accident and when i was calling around i was getting quotes for my gixxer between 2 and 3 grand, but i will say this i called two different agents from allstate the one quote was 2400 the others quote was 700. i dont know how or why i got two different quotes from the same company but i did and i am insured and i didnt sacrifice coverage to get this... im sure you can use a agent outside of your state, hell its worth a shot. if you want his name and number email me, especially if it will save you a couple grand.
also what insurance companies wont tell you is you can totally drop almost everything during the winter and save even more, i was never in New orleans so i dont know if you have a winter but its just something to think about

------------------
They have the internet on computers now???

[This message has been edited by GodCreatedOne (edited July 24, 2000).]

#5 ·
im not 100% sure about this but from what i did hear from a few people is allstate is the only company that doesnt jack up the prices on bikes when they here letters ie. gsxr, cbr, zx ect.

------------------

#8 ·
Progressive wanted $1400 a year for my bike full coverage, i about laughed myself silly... AND THEY CLAIM TO BE ON OUR SIDE???!!! More realistically, i have the same full coverage for $400 a year, i went through an agent, i would recommend doing the same.

------------------
Fear Green.

#9 ·
Originally posted by inanima:

I'm with State Farm now for $500/year(single, 26, male).

----------------------------

This is a bunch of crap. I can't believe how many different prices we are paying for insurance. $300.-$3000. what a rip. I am also with State Farm. I'm 31, married,no tickets(lately),no accidents,AND I have been with them for 10 years and have several dif. policies (life,home,car,etc.) and I pay $850. yr. However, State Farm was by far the cheapest when I called around. Progressive, who advertises in the cycle mags, was the highest of all at around 3grand

My 92 fzr 600 I only paid $350.yr. Same company.

"IT'S THE SQUIDS"

------------------
Dave FZR1

"I have a few good reasons for drinking, and one has just entered my head...... If a man can't drink when he's living, how the hell can he drink when he's dead?"

#10 ·
Guys you aren't going to believe this but I called All State back and spoke to another agent on the grounds of GodCreated One said and guess what? I got a different quote. I asked for the fax and it looks completely different. It has the same letterhead and all but the description was definitely done on a different program. That's screwed up.

Anyway new quote is $789 for 6 months/full coverage. What the hell is going on?

------------------

#11 ·
I'm with Progressive. My coverage (everything except comp) stops between 1 December to 1 March and that's cool since it rains alot here every one of those days! It's like $525 for 9 months of full coverage plus extra coverage for any after-market accessories I add. So a pretty good deal, I guess, and way better than State Farm gave me. Luckily, I have yet to use them, but I have haven't heard anything bad about them so far.
btw, I'm 27 married, 3 tickets since '96, you're average upstanding young citizen/taxpayer.
------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited July 24, 2000).]

#12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by colin409:
My recommendation is get a quote from just about anybody but Allstate. I think they just don't like to insure bikes. My recommendations are Progressive, Reliant, or Dairyland. I have had, or currently have insurance with all three, and am very happy with them all. I have also heard good things about State Farm.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the best deal from Allstate myself. I have two bikes, AMA member, and MSF course. I have called other companies. I get anything from $800 - $14,000 :eek: a year and the occasional "oh, we don't insure motorcycles." :rolleyes: My price for Allstate is around $700 a year and always falling. I am also 21 and single. Be sure to itemize and act like you know what your talking about when it comes to insurance.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

#13 ·
FWIW-

I have my insurance through GEICO's Cycle Guard. Very good service and rates, even on my previous bikes with lots 'o plastic. Even though I own it outright-I pay 363.00 a year for full coverage on the ZR7. Granted, it's not an F4, but you might give them a call. In my experience they've been extremely good folks to deal with.

BTW- I owned a 93 FZR600, and was notified by telephone (at work none the less) that Allstate wouldn't insure my bike anymore. This was back in like '94-'95 ish. They basically said "thought you should know we're not going to cover high risk motorcycles anymore for younger riders (I was 21 or so) and oh, yeah- you owe X amount on your policy, your coverage ends in five business days. Thank you." That forever soured my tastes for Allstate. I was paying $1200 a year to them- and they drop me like a bad habit. Not once did I have to make a claim with them or did I get a ticket! Plus, they wanted me to pay the remainder of a 6 month policy when they were cutting me off only 3 months in! Arrrgggh! Sorry, that one still gets me.....

Insurance companies. Bastards. They are all in bed with the lawmakers anyways. Those of you fellow Ohioans know what I mean. They've even taken to radomly mailing residents to demand proof of insurance- and if you don't send them a copy of your current policy that proves you have and had insurance- YANK! they suspend your license and hit you with fines. And, of course, they only give you like a week to return the forms. Bastards! Every one of 'em!

Whew- ok- I'm better now...

'cane

------------------

#14 ·
'cane, you gotta move to AZ to really approciate the Insurance Companies and the DMV. They send out the insurance verification forms and if you dont respond they WILL suspend your registration and the cops are notified you are on an unregistered uninsured vehicle and pull you over and take your plates.

This happened to me and i had done nothing wrong. Had perfectly good insurance and everything. Talk about wasting taxpayer money and criminalizing the public!!

The insurance rates in AZ are i believe now higher then California. They have the ability to run credit reports on you to determine your DRIVING RISK???? It is insane an i strongly feel the insurance industry is the biggest organized crime ring in america. Yeah, go ahead and flame me but ive been screwed by the insurance co.s too many times.

And Progressive can bite me.

AHHHHH!!

(there i feel better now)

------------------
Fear Green.

#15 ·
first off all states pull your credit report to see what sort of risk you are at filing a fraudulant claim. and second of all insurance companies are LEGALIZED MAFIA!!!!!!!!!!! they do the same thing the mob does...pay us and we will protect you, dont pay us and you are F@CKED!!!
someone stole my jetta and progressive refused to pay me (cost me 16,500$) because they said i did it with no proof. then they said take us to court, knowing it would cost me more then that in fees.
and people wonder why i hate these fu@king companies....
sorry but i had to vent

------------------

#16 ·
Guys this insurance researnch is making me sick. here are some quotes so far in yearly terms.

All-State: $2216
Progressive: $2389
Geico: $7120 (not a misprint!)
Sate Farm: Won't cover unless under a car policy.

I could use some more companies if you guys can think of any because these prices are outrageous.

------------------

#17 ·
State Farm insurance premium for my bike.....$320 PER YEAR for FULL coverage and $250 deductibles. I'm 26 and married. If you also have a car you should get a multi-vehicle discount and you can also ask about "stacking" uninsured motorist...these also help on keeping premiums lower while still having full coverage.

BTW State Farm bases its premiums strictly on the cc's of the bike (regardless of if the bike is a "sport bike" or "cruiser") and they tend to be one of the most economical if not the most economical insurer of bikes. My mother used to work for them so I've gotten all the inside info about them and the industry in general.

Try another State Farm agent....you may be able to get a different one to insure you without a car policy, but might depend on the state you are in too.

------------------
"Enjoy the ride!"

Dan M.

[This message has been edited by dtechZR7 (edited July 25, 2000).]

#18 ·
Hmm- that quote from GEICO sounds really, really high. Not one to defend any insurance company, but I'd call them back and ask them to explain how exactly $7000 a year breaks down. Originally they quoted me $1700 a year for my ZR, to which I freaked and had her double check she wasn't quoting me for a ZX7-R. Which she was- it was only after I explained to her repeatedly that yes- my bike really wasn't a ZX7-R that she confirmed the existence of a ZR-7 with her supervisor.

Of course, I've learned to expect some hassles from insurance companies....

You mentioned joining the AMA- don't they have a listing of bike friendly insurers somewhere?

'cane

------------------

G
#19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hurricane:
Hmm- that quote from GEICO sounds really, really high...snip

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some insurance companies want the full price of the bike via premiums in the first year for younger riders. They figure that the bike will get trashed in the first year.

I'm shopping around right now myself, as my premium with Progressive just went from $500/yr, full coverage, $500 deductibles, on the VFR to $2,000/yr, same coverage, on the CBR929.

As communicated to me by my State Farm agent, who we have our cages insured with, their rates will vary from state to state. Whereas I have seen State Farm quotes posted above in the $300-400 range, my agent is giving quotes of $800 with $500 deductibles.

This stuff really pisses me off, makes me want to give up riding on the street! :mad:

For Sale:
2000 CBR929RR, less than 200 miles, $9000.00 :D

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

#20 ·
Looks more and more like I'm gonna get screwed here. Dairyland dosen't cover LA, the Geico quote is affirmed, I'm pretty sure AMA promotes Progressive. I'll call some other Sate Farm agents ans AAA in the morning because that was the only reasonable quote I got.

------------------

#22 ·
EvilGuy,

I own a '99 Formula black hardtop. I am on my parents car policy and I suggest you do the same. Insuring that car on your own is going to be astronomical at your age. I am 22 and I pay about $1100 through their policy but we have clean records and great rates through some smaller insurance company we have been with for years. Not to discourage you but your insurance on that car will be about $5000 a year if not worse. Start calling around.

By the way, if you do get the car or you need to know wanything about it before you buy, email me or visit Ls1.com. I can probably help you out a lot.

------------------

#23 ·
Damn Evilguy!! An '01 Formula(my favorite car under 30k out there!!) and an '01 ZX7R?? An LS1 and a sportbike, doesn't get any better than that, especially at 16 years old!! Definitely check out www.ls1.com for info on your Formula. And as for purchasing one if you don't already have one on order, I've got a buddy that works at a Pontiac dealership in the Dallas area if you want a pretty good deal. He'll hook you up, email me for info.

Good luck with insurance companies, I hate dealing with their shit!!

-Matt Blansett

#24 ·
Hey Matt,

Have you gotten a bike yet?
I believe last time we talked you were shopping.

------------------
Dave FZR1

"I have a few good reasons for drinking, and one has just entered my head...... If a man can't drink when he's living, how the hell can he drink when he's dead?"

#26 ·
hey guys thanks for the replies... and im on LS1.com im EvilGuy :)... i turn 16 in january so i have about 5 months til i get them but i plan on ordering the car in october so i can have it by january but if not ill just get the bike in january and order the car then... since i have to make the money myself (hope to have both paid off in a year) and whats the going price for a formula, t top, m6, no leather, just traction control?? i found a place where i can get one for about 22.5k-23k...

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.