Sportbike World banner

Engine warm up

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Smitty 
#1 ·
How long should I wait for my engine "warm up"..Ive been waiting 2 to 3 mins...should I give it more or less time?

#2 ·
If you can, try more like 5min. Does your bike have an engine temp indicator? You want it to read 150 or so before you get into it.
If you cant wait that long, dont get on the gas untill it has a chance to warm up.
This is not so much for safety's sake (also carbed engines sometimes act wierd when cold) but more of a longevity issue.

My first bike was carbed, and it had a bizzare quirk when cold. If you were to get on the gas the bike would stumble for half a second doing nothing, then come back with the most powerfull kick that engine could muster, In fact that was the situation when the engine would produce the most power power.
This was nothing but curious, untill winter rolled around and I went to leave turned in the parking lot, and open the gas to strieghten up.
Sliding a rear tire on icy ground is very scary when you've been riding for maybe 2 months.

#3 ·
the bottom part of the tach stops blinking when the coolant temp reaches 60. I dont push it at all at first, nothing over 4000 rpm. I dont really push it for about 10 mins...even then I dont go over 7000rpm(most of the time) bc of break in reqs. Ill give it 5 mins now though. Whats your opinion on the first oil change? The book says 800 mi but I think I want to change it before that bc of all the metal that will be in the oil filter. Im still gonna take it in for its 800 mi check. Should I change the oil now or just wait? Thanks for all the advice.. you have helped a lot.
"At every face of death Im smiling"

#4 ·
The light stops blinking when it reaches 60? is that Celcius?

I'm of the rought break in method. This topic has been discussed to death, and is never settled. Basically my methode works like this. During the first 20 miles I bring the engine all the way to red line and let it brake itself back down to sane rpm in 1st or second gear, using about 50% of the throttle. This is supposed to help the rings seal better. I'm not sure if it does or not, But I've done that to 2 bikes so far, with no ill results.

After the first ride, I always change my oil and filter. You will be suprised how much metal flake you will see in your oil on the first change. Mine ussually happens at 40-60miles.
Next one at 600mi and 3k and so on...

#6 ·
Hey 60C & the bike is well warmed up. On two of my bikes with Celcius temp gauges once they are up to 50+ then I start to ride slowly for in no time they will be up to 82C.

I just never think of anyone in the States having metric readings though Vash did.

So comes the question is you speedo & trip meter in metric as well? Basically that would be normal if the bike was to go to anyplace bar the UK & the USA.

ALSO in some cases someone prangs a bike & obtains metric parts from Cdn or the Continent of Europe & so said 'clock' will be in metric. Which is a warning when buying a USED bike & ESPECIALLY to those in the UK.

#7 ·
I'm willing to bet that if he holds some botton on the cluster for a few seconds while repeatedly pressing some other one he can get it switched to F.

#8 ·
It takes a lot of bugging around to finally get everthing set in American or Metric.

When I assembled my Honda 929 in April of '00 I was scooting along in the big crowded city with its speed limiit of 60 to 50 kph & wondering why every one was so darn slow & crawling. At a red light I looked down & realized I was clocking 60MPH & not 60kph which is 50mph. So off to the side of the road to monkey around & finally get it set.

Unfortunately with just two buttons & setting two trip meters, two speeds, two tempeatues & such plus a ruddy clock one tends to loose some of the memory they have like on the trip meter.

When it comes to daylight saving time I will not go to that & loose the memory on my trip meter.

#10 ·
Well Vash is correct only what one to hold down for so long is the problem? Reason why I hate all this digital stuff & believe me many a rider on different board of that very make & model will be asking how to set the clock or something time & time & time again.

They are a pain in the butt to say the least. About the only thing you canno erase or loose in the actual milage the bike has clocked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.