Sportbike World banner

ZX12 (and ZX6) get good ink.......

945 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Vash 
#1 ·
In this months' issue of Performance Bikes, they took 14 different bikes around a test track on the same tires. The track was a combination of tight turns and long straights. Some of the bikes - the GSXR1000k5, a GSXR1000 turbo, a Buell Firebolt, a Ducati 999, a CBR1000, a ZX6, a R1, a Busa, and others.

The first quickest - the gsxr1000, not much of a surprise there. The second - the ZX12. and it didn't suck through the turns, and make all its time on the straights. The opposite was true. Its speed through the tight sections was only beaten by the gsxr, the 999, and the ZX6. The ZX6 also beat almost all of the bigger bikes around the track, hitting a top speed in excess of 170mph.

Now the secret is out - I think the bad press the 12 got at its launch was actually a good thing - I don't see 30 or 40 of them everytime I ride.

They couldn't get hold of a ZX10 for the test. Too bad, because I think it would have finished first or second.

The 12 has outstanding ground clearance, and a very good chassis. With quality suspension upgrades, it makes a truly great road bike.

#2 ·
No zx10? I would have let them borrow mine!

Good to hear that the 12 is still hanging in there unlike its aging and soon to be discontinued competitor (busa)

Well, I cant really say anything bad about the busa either... everytime I ride one it puts a big grin on my face. Its like an oldschool muscle car of sportbikes.

#4 ·
I despise their looks. They look long and over weight. However they dont handle half as bad as everyone claims, and the power delivery, while isnt sofisticated, has got tons of character.

Just a shame the brakes suck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.